Author Topic: Useful bits of kit?  (Read 2748 times)

Offline scrufts

• Chef
    • View Profile
Useful bits of kit?
« on: October 20, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Ok I'm still in kindergarten with regards to curry making but thanks to the excellent help I've received from people on here I'm ready for my first "curry fest"

The wife and sprogs will be going out for the day

A plentiful supply of ice cold lager will be on hand.....

I have lots of freezer space and containers ready....

Curry heaven is the aim and enough to last me till the new year!

QUESTION! apart from good recipes is there any useful bits of kit you would recommend i.e cooking untensils or anything else?

Thanks to everyone for their help so far - this is a fantastic site! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Useful bits of kit?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 04:37 AM »
A blender is a must, you must puree the base to get the restaurant texture

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 05:41 AM »
Fresh ingredients give better results....don't overpower any dish with some of the more pungent or strong spice blends i.e. garam masala .

Offline london_lhr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 11:40 AM »
Hi,

I also find a small hand grater, looks almost like a paddle, approx 6 inches long without the handle, very useful for garlic and ginger.

Also a coffee mill for grinding spices when making your own ground spices. (Not suitable for coffee grinding thereafter!)
Small hand grinders are also available from some shops. Useful for making your own garam masala or curry powder etc.

A nice karahi or wok for cooking the curries is a must. I prefer the karahi because it is made of a much thicker material.
(Holds the heat better) Woks tend to be very thin and in my hands I tend to burn the spices and garlic and ginger too easily
when using a wok. But that would be your choice of course. On this site there is a thread about the type of pans some of the curry gurus use.

And then of course a nice, sharp knife which will become your favourite knife and nobody else is allowed to use ..............

Last but not least a special place to keep your beer handy while making the curry (VERY important)

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 03:23 PM »
Good question, id probably recommend that you have atleast two 4 litre saucepans for the curry base
balti pan a spice grinder and a mixer are the basics i think

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 03:41 PM »
You must also have an extremely understanding wife, because you are going to stink the house out.
I am in trouble about it, again .
Everyone complains even though they like the curries, they don't want their house smelling like one.
I hope to be moving house soon.
When I do, it has been suggested, that my cooking should all be done, in a shed at the bottom of the garden
Actually that would suit me fine.......the research MUST continue!

Offline Joe the Schwab

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 04:40 AM »
Greetings all !

Whilst reading threads on spice mixes/pastes etc,one invariably comes across the 'how best to store' unused blends and open packets of this spice or other.

I haven't come across it yet but have members considered using a small vacuum bag sealer ? I've used one for many years,mainly for vacuum sealing fresh vegetables,meats etc for freezing.

As regards to vegetables,I have found out,this is my personal opinion,that the veg does not necessarily need to be blanched beforehand.Blanching imo  puts more water into the product than is really necessary and as for preserving colour of greens,I found this did not affect the greens when the bags are vacuum sealed.

Coming onto opened packets,tins of spices and made up spice mixtures,vacuum sealing said spices in little plastic bags(which can be put back into the original containers to prevent light deterioration) does increasingly preserve their shelf life.

Vacuum sealing sauce mixes for freezing also maintains the body of the sauce etc far better than if it was just put into an 'air tight' container.

Was this of any use to anyone?

regards Joe.

©2024 Curry Recipes