Author Topic: Bombay Aloo Group Test  (Read 100673 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bombay Aloo Group Test
« Reply #240 on: August 21, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Curryhell thanks for taking the time to do this, your meal looks fantastic. When I first found the site there was little or no photographs I can imagine a newbie joining now and finding your post this morning and thinking they must have landed in curry heaven. Can you share which rice recipe you used? PP

As they say PP, a picture paints a thousand words. On this site it's like being inside a BIR ;D.  Many of those posted on here you can virtually taste and smell the dishes :P. I don't use a recipe posted on this site for my basic pilau rice.  My own recipe is based on close examination of pilaus from restaurants when i first started my journey many years ago.  There were a few tweaks and subtle changes but  it hasn't changed now for many a year.  It is exactly what i'd expect when ordering in a BIR, in this part of the world anyway ;D and it turns out perfect everytime.  I am more than happy to post it in the appropriate section.  This thread is worth a read while i type it up :D http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5779.0

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Great pics curryhell!

I really enjoyed Solar's recipe when I did the group test. It's unlike Bombay Aloo I usually have, but it has a great taste in its own right.

:D Thanks Ramirez. And there lies the last 5% we're all looking for mate which i think we'll never all agree on :-\.  There are obviously regional differences up and down the country of which some will be quite considerable. We are all trying to emulate dishes that we are familiar with through personal experience and all our experiences are different.  For me Solarsplace's bombay aloo and Dips for that matter are very close to what i'd expect in my neck of the woods.  Maybe i clouded the issue by precooking the spuds.  Next time i won't just to see what difference it makes but i'm sure it'll be quite a marked difference in taste.  Out of interest which recipe was the closest to what you would expect from a bombay aloo??

If I recall correctly, it was the Undercover Bombay that I felt was the most authentic. Unfortunately, the result categories don't include something for 'authenticity', although it has been spoken of. Taste doesn't quite fit the bill, as something can taste great, but not be authentic.

They were all good dishes though and I enjoyed each and every one of them.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 21, 2011, 12:22 PM »
If I recall correctly, it was the Undercover Bombay that I felt was the most authentic. Unfortunately, the result categories don't include something for 'authenticity', although it has been spoken of. Taste doesn't quite fit the bill, as something can taste great, but not be authentic.

They were all good dishes though and I enjoyed each and every one of them.

The trouble with authenticity is that it will tend to be subjective and influenced by each individuals own experience and expectation.  But i do think that a general consensus could be reached as to which dishes come close to the BIR dish under test.  Maybe the next group test could include a mark for authenticity.  This would probably reflect regional differences and a good talking point too  ;D ;D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Quote from: chewytikka link=topic=5537.msg54089#msg54089

This is the basic BIR Bombay Potatoes! anything else added to this makes it something else.
e.g. cumin seeds = Jheera Aloo, which I like.
and my favourite, Aloo Manchurian, which is Indo/Chinese and amazing.

Chewy, could you please post your recipe for Aloo Manchurian, maybe in a new thread? I wouldn't mind trying a new potato based dish if you're happy to share the details?

©2024 Curry Recipes