Author Topic: Khurza Lamb  (Read 5966 times)

Offline Mr Fabulous

• Chef
    • View Profile
Khurza Lamb
« on: February 07, 2011, 05:39 PM »
Hi, Does anyone have a recipe for Kurza Lamb (Spelling is probably wrong)  I had this twice at a most amazing Indian Restaurant in Chipping Ongar, Essex some 30+ years ago. It was a half boned, full leg of lamb. Marianated for 48 hrs+ (I had to give 3 days notice when ordering) and carved at your table with your usual favourite rices, breads etc. It was the tenderest, tastiest lamb I have ever eaten & would love to recreate. However, nobody in Suffolk seems to have heard of it?? Help please guys. ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Khurza Lamb
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Hi Fab,

Sorry fella, even though the name does ring a bell, I don't have a recipe for it.  However, I do have a recipe for a "Raan" of lamb, which is also marinated for at least 3 days!  Could this be the same thing by a different name?

What kind of flavours can you pick out?  We may be able to work something out?

Ray :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:06 PM »
Hi Fab,

Found this recipe for KURZI Lamb.  Looks very much like RAAN of lamb to me ;D

Ingredients
Serves 4

3 pints of live natural yogurt
3 Tablespoon Cumin powder
3 Tablespoon garam massala
3 Teaspoon Coriander powder
2 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
3 Teaspoon chilli powder
Juice 3 lemons
24 cloves garlic - crushed
4 inches grated ginger
Red food colouring
1 Leg of lamb
1 Lemon

Method
Mix the spices, colouring, lemon juice, ginger and garlic up into a paste with a little water and stir in well with the yogurt to make a tandoori marinade. Remove the fat from the leg of lamb and make several deep scores across the meat using a sharp knife. Marinate the leg of lamb in the marinade for 24-60 hours. Preheat the oven to it's highest heat for at least 20 minutes. Shake off excess marinade and place the lamb in a roasting dish in the oven. Pour over a little vegetable oil. Cook at 200 degrees for 2 hours or until the meat is cooked as you like, keep basting with the oil every 20 minutes or so, serve with a wedge of lemon.

Hope that's of some use?

Ray :)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:25 PM »
hi mr fab
check this topic out
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=756.0
hope this helps if not try typing kurzi into the search bar on the homepage
regards
gary :)

Offline Mr Fabulous

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Wow!! You guys are good!!!! :o
What an incrediblely fast response!!  They ingredients listed certainly sound like the mild but pungent, tasty uniqueness I remember, as does the prep/marinading time. So will be giving this a go very soon. Many thanks again. ;)
BTW: Probably preaching to the converted, but a Fried Rice tip if you're running late or have ruined a batch of rice, try Asda's Micro Basmati or Wholegrain (Not pilau). Don't microwave it, but give the bag a good squidge to break up any lumps, then add to the pan and fry off with the oils/spices as normal for 2-3 mins, continually stiring. Remove from heat & serve. Voila!! I find the Asda brand is far superior to say Uncle Bens or others & is about half the price. Especially if you are serving for one, as the rest goes into the fridge for up to 4 days, (Non fried) then use as required. Stay away from those little plastic pots of Tilda "Authentic". They are vile, undercooked, poor quality grains and bloody expensive!! :(

Cheers

Offline naga dave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 05:30 PM »
 Hi
     I remember khurza lamb [and I think chicken too] was a chef's special in the early to mid 80's. Haven't seen it since though.
                                                              D.

Offline Mr Fabulous

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:21 PM »
Hi Dave,
Yeah you are correct sir, It was a very exclusive "Chefs Special" that was rarely advertised on the menu, &b was either The Managers' recommendation for a Birthday/Anniversary type affair or word of mouth. Whilst suptiously delicious, I remember  it being bloody expensive!!!! Lol. So, I'm going to give the recipes above a try.

©2024 Curry Recipes