Author Topic: Mouchak curry base sauce  (Read 36213 times)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Mouchak curry base sauce
« on: February 09, 2011, 01:25 PM »
here is the curry base sauce i use from mouchak

Mouchak base sauce recipe

1 kg onions sliced or diced

1 carrot grated

1/2 green pepper sliced

100 ml veg oil

1 tbsp salt

3/4 tin coconut milk

1 dsp garlic/ginger puree

200 ml tomato passata/blended tomatoes/puree mixed with water(50/50)

100 ml of oil for second stage 2

just enough hot water to cover veggies approx 1 litre

and water to thin the sauce for blending approx 2 litres

stage 1
put onions, carrot, green pepper 100ml veg oil and salt and first litre of water in a pot bring to boil and simmer  with lid on until the onions change colour 1-2hrs the liquid will reduce down as well. once done allow to cool down  alittle add the coconut milk 1/2-3/4 of a tin.
stage 2
get another big pot and or saucepan put in 100ml veg oil and fry 1tbsp garlic and ginger puree un til starting to go golden brown then add 200ml passata or blended tomatoes or watered down tomato puree and then 1dsp spoon of the following spices

1 dsp Mouchak mixed powder ( 6pts curry powder,4pts turmeric,2pts coriander, 1pt cummin, 1pt chilli powder)

1 dsp turmeric

1 dsp coriander

1 dsp cummin

1 dsp chilli powder

add them to the pot and mix well stirring to stop the spices sticking cook for a couple of mins until the oil rises (it will make a mess but smells lovely)

then pour into the onion pot and mix well,  then blend adding hot water to help with blending and blend until smooth, water down until you have a runny soup like consistency. then put back on the heat and bring to a rolling boil. boil for 10 mins and then reduce too a simmer cook until the oil rises. when the sauce is boiling the will be a froth that floats to the top mix it back in as that is the oil bubbles and you will see it disappear as you simmer. you can use straight away but it is better once cooled and refridgerated and used then next day as this allows the spices to mellow and the onion to sweeten.

regards
gary

recipe for mouchak madras
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5545.msg54115#new
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:54 PM by parker21 »

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mouchak curry base sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 02:49 PM »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 12:35 PM »
I suppose the stand out ingredient for this base is the coconut milk and I wonder if this is their "special" ingredient - can't imagine most BIRs using this in their base as it is the most expensive part of the base, though it is in the Ashoka base if I remember rightly.

How are you finding using it parker?

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:46 PM »
still nothing?
gary

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Hi Gary,

Recipe looks pretty good as far as I can tell without actually tasting it.

Trouble is I've got a freezer full of Taz base right now so can't see myself making another base for a few weeks.

Can I ask you again though, is that 200 ml passata diluted with 200 ml of water?

I never try any recipes from here unless I'm 100% confident that I understand the recipe fully.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:16 PM »
hi paul

no passata 100% mate or half 400ml tin of  tomatoes blended.
not worried about people trying it yet but as i know that any curryholic would have a batch of base on the go in the fridge or freezer. but nothing to say and the thoery about the forum being quiet at atleast 100 peeps looking on the site each time i look. but i suppose that some would think that this base could never have come from a BIR restaurant as it has 2 stages lol. you would have thought the amount of times i have mentioned Mouchak in its sisters the raja of kent both of them, someone would have something to say even to knock it. so i will leave you to finish cooking MY chicken tikka  for my Mouchak chicken tikka vindaloo 2nite yum!!!!!!!!
ragards
gary

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 06:57 PM »
anyone tried this yet? been 2 months and had 3-4 replies! oh well. it's just so simple, and all the ingredients can be sourced the world over!

regards
gary

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:49 AM »
Hi Gary,

To me base sauce with coconut milk in just doesn't seem right really. If you consider dishes that don't use coconut like Madras, Vindaloo, Garlic Chilli Chicken etc, then surely this would taint the taste of those dishes?

I think I would rather stick to a plain base, then add coconut if needed to the final dish.

Regards,

Bob

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 03:18 PM »

hi
cast judgement when you have made the base mate and not before, the only time you will taste coconut using this base is when you make a CTM or korma with it. and that is exactly the thing that has stopped me from posting any of my recipes in the 7 years i have been a member. so you must be right because you have had so much more experience and have been in the kitchens of you local got friendly with the staff and they have given you the inside info on what they put in their base and you are now recreating their base and curries!

sorry but bit fed up with it. if you ain't gonna try it i would rather you didnot comment on it at all!
gary >:(

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Gary,

I don't think Bob meant to criticise the base other than to answer your plea for comments. I know that my fabled IG doesn't use Coconut in their base so for me, I am sceptical about trying this base also.

However, recent experiences have taught me to keep an open mind and I would be happy to give this base a go if you could post some of the recipes it is designed for. I know you have posted the Madras recipe but I have never eaten one so can't compare it. I do enjoy Karahi, Jalfrezi or Dopiaza though, do you have these?

Don't be dis-heartened mate, we're all here for the same reason, the perfect curry!

Perhaps you could post a little back ground on the Mouchak, I had no idea what it was or how you came about it, maybe that's why people haven't commented?

Cheers,

Malc. :)

©2024 Curry Recipes