Author Topic: Mouchak curry base sauce  (Read 36218 times)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mouchak curry base sauce
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 05:05 PM »
hi axe
try reading these
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2632.10
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4380.0
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4483.0
i was told the ingredients by Rupon who runs Mouchak (he is also 1 of the chefs) his brother Raj owns that and the more famous Raja of Kent in st. michaels also and the Raja of Kent in maidstone the largest in Kent. he has also cooked for me with my base sauce that i had previously been making from Rajver before we discovered Mouchak. i make this base all the time.
the coconut milk is by island sun and does not have that coconut solids in that some brands do, and it is not noticeable in the completed base. and it the most simple base i have ever made.

hi pp if you are in rye then you are only 12 miles from tenterden and st michaels where Mouchak is my fav restaurant and /or the raja of kent, st. michaels ( voted kent best restaurant 2009 awarded in 2010), the oldest of 3 brothers owns the 4 restaurants chain 1 works in Mouchak as chef 1 in the raja as the chef ( i drive past the raja everyday and the carpark is always packed even monday nights). but mouchak was where it all started though just as a takeaway then after 2-3 years and constant requests from the customers it became a restaurant and now they own 4 of them the best in kent ( raja of kent, st michaels) , the largest in kent (raja of kent in maidstone) seats 288! 1 in dartford and MY favourite MOUCHAK!
hi guys the recipe given to me by Mouchak you boil just onions, pepper and carrot until soft then blend! in another pot the same size heat oil and fry garlic and ginger paste/puree until brown then add blended tomatoes, tom puree, mix powder, chilli powder, ground coriander and cumin and salt. fry for a couple of mins then add the blended onion/pepper/carrot to this pot mix well and then add some coconut milk and a little water not too runny( although it will naturaly thicken) simmer until the oil rise. and that is it
will provide quantities which i tried as soon as i have re-written it, and clarify the ingredients with the chef when i next visit!
regards
gary

hope this helps clarify things about mouchak you just have to look

kind regards
 gary

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Hi Gary,

I guess I'm in the same camp as Malc with this base, although I have seen other base recipes call for coconut milk but it seems that when coconut milk is added, the base doesn't release it's oil?

Not sure if that's true or not, but it is what I've read on a few occasions. 

Now if that is the case, that would be a problem for me as I tend to judge a base 'ready' when the oil rises.

Is there a spice mix to go with the base and if so, can you replace a stated base and spice blend with the Mouchak base and spice or have you specific recipes to go with it.

ATB,

Ray :)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 07:30 PM »
hi axe yes there is a spice mix as posted
mouchak mix powder

6 parts curry powder (rajah)
4 parts turmeric
2 parts coriander
1 part cummin
1 part chilli powder
 if possible use rajah in all the spices but you can use trs or another brand if you don't have them.
and you can follow any recipe but will try to post what recipes i have. the base is interchangeable with other recipes on the site.
regards
gary
ps as regards the oil release water the base to a thinnish soup consistency and then rolling boil for 10-15mins then reduce to a simmer and you will almost certainly have oil release, in fact when my base has been boiling long enough i just turn off the heat and leave on the hob with a lid on and by the time it has stopped bubbling there is a layer of oil on top. as i'm not that worried about reusing the oil any excess is spooned off after cooking the final dish and i get loads.
regards
gary

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 07:55 PM »
here is a piccy

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 08:03 PM »
and here is a finished vindaloo, if you look closely in the top left hand corner you can see a pot of oil/base that had been removed to serve

regards
gary

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 08:28 PM »
please post comments/questions here

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5546.0

Sorry Gary, I was not casting judgement, but you did ask for comments mate. I'm sure the base is fine, but I have made a base before with coconut in it, (not this one) and I did not like it.

Regards,

Bob

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08 AM »
parker21,

pics caught my eye "newspaper". ps the garage "shed" is working a real treat for me.

the one thing that often amazes me is the saying: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

i use coconut in 2 of my top 3 bases. i can see the quality the mouchak base and it's not that different to the rajver that i make. i'm well sold on the mouchak mix powder and now make it in a much larger container than i've done before as i've stopped making others.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting the spice mix. As I have no base left i'll be making the Mouchak base very soon. If you can post up what you have of the Mouchak recipes, i'll do another topic like I did with the ABC. Looking forward to it.  :)

Just been on the Mouchak Websiteand spotted the Bengal Chicken Masala. Sound very interesting, have you tried this dish?

Cheers,

Malc.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Hi Gary,

Well that certainly confirms that this base does release oil, so, once I've got through the 8.5 lts of Chewy's base, I will give it a go.

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 10:20 AM »
parker21,

i'm really sorted on base and have told myself (well the boss) not to try new.

i'm always on the learn though and thought i'd compare the mouchak against the rajver which i rate highly.

the interesting area for me is the "garam masala". i think there is another post that you clarified how to treat the water. the one thing i don't like about the rajver is the dark oil that it produces - i am pretty sure down to the garam masala spice addition (1 tbsp in 1300g onion). given that as std i include call it "garam masala water" (i use tgad2007 method) then from the mouchak recipe i feel i could drop the garam powder from the  rajver.

the other thing that i historically see as a no no is the use of mix powder in base. the use of individual spice is my preferred method of producing best taste.  having said that i no longer wrestle with mix powder being a devoted mouchak mix powder fan.

in short on next base i will make this change to the rajver.

on the comparison front. i could not make a base without coriander (root) and would add this into the mouchak but of course it's not then mouchak. the bulk veg and salt i would have to double.

the other area of interest is the tomato. i would of thought the passata/tin toms/watered puree would make a big difference - which does the chef prefer.

the bases are very similar other than the above differences.
i've assumed the mouchak base produces 12 portions or ~3.7L.

©2024 Curry Recipes