Author Topic: Green Beans (side dish)  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Green Beans (side dish)
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:30 PM »
I often look for alternative dishes to go with the rubies I cook at home. For this I browse the internet and flick through cook books etc., Just as we all do. Thumbing through a cheap book I bought with hundreds of recipes in it, I found a recipe for Green Beans.

After adapting it every so slightly, i'd like to share it with you as both myself and the wife think its a real winner, we hope you do too.

Green Beans

Ingredients
600ml Water
100g Green beans
225g Tomato, sliced
1 Onion, chopped
1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
10ml Garlic & Ginger Paste
2.5ml Turmeric
2.5ml Black Cumin Seeds
2.5ml Garam Masala
2.5ml Salt
50ml Olive or Veg. Oil

Method
Add the water to the pan and bring to the boil. Add the green beans, garlic & ginger paste, turmeric and salt then simmer for 20 mins. Add the tomatoes and garam masala and continue to cook for 5 mins or until the tomato is cooked, being careful not to over cook it. Meanwhile, add the oil to a frying pan and gently fry the onion, cumin seeds and green chilli until the onion is nicely browned. Drain the beans etc., from the pan and serve with the onion mixture on top.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:13 PM by Axe »

Offline rhodriharris

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Green Beans (side dish)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:31 AM »
Loved this green bean recipie, really kicks ass on plain green beans!  Is the rice you got from asda the piri piri rice in the white plastic dish with the pull of plastic film lid, i forgot what the make was?  If it was the colouriong is carrot and would explain the crazy psycadelic colour.  I had to check this rice out as you said you got it from asda in the post about the pork tikka in silver linings post. Thanks

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:00 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe, it is a nice alternative side dish to have with a ruby. Come to that, it would probably sit well with other dishes too.

The rice was ASDA Tricolour rice found near the take away deli counter. It's in a microwavable bag. Don't  be fooled by the bags small appearance, there is more than enough rice to feed two hungry adults!

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/products/products.jsp?skuId=1449392&departmentid=1214921923736&aisleid=1214921925660&startValue=

Offline rhodriharris

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:35 PM »
Thanks, i will look again for this rice, quite intrested in it as have a kid that hates rice and think he will love the wild orange colour.  Intrested to see what made it orange and see if i can replicate it at home.  On a side note i used normal cumin instead of the black cumin and think whole cumin suited this recipie better than cumin powder.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:24 AM »
The colourings listed in the ingredients are: Paprika Extract, Beetroot Red and Curcumin.

According to Wikipedia, Curcumin is a colouring agent (E100) found naturally in Turmeric and the main contributor responsible for its yellow appearance.

Offline rhodriharris

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:46 AM »
Yer our asda in Llandudno finally got that tri coloured rice in and your picture dosen't show that it is actually tri coloured very well.  It dose have red and yellow grains mixed in with the orange, looks nicer than in the picture really although i couldn't buy any that time and forgot to look at the cooking instructions as well but will get some next week.  Am confused as to how they make the rice red with paprika and can only think they make a paste and let it dry on to soak in or somthing.  The rice did seem partially cooked or pre cooked as well. Altogether seems healthy too.
After making green beans exciting and indian i feel that i must find and share a recipie that makes a boring vegetable intresting only i don't have any except i do oven cook carrots in a bit of olive oil and tumeric or seet potatoe in oil and garam massala but these are harly recipies.  Hmm a much neglected side of my indian cooking and suppose at an indian feast they probably do have large bowls of green beans like yours and other similar dishes. I must find a couple of recipies and post them with pics.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:29 AM »
Actually the rice when I bought it was as it looked, all one colour almost. I can only think the colours bled in the packet. The paprika would be used for the orange in this, the beetroot for red and the curcumin for yellow.

The main thing is that you enjoyed the recipe and for that I am pleased.  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes