Author Topic: Favourite Recipe Books  (Read 8860 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Recipe Books
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Hi

I received this book (http://www.thecurrycrunch.com/) as a Christmas gift.

Personally quite like it and am recommending it.

It does not necessarily contain much more than is already available on this site and through other books, but I like the fact that virtually everything you would like to cook is all in one place from the one stable so to speak, so you don't have a massive diversity of techniques and ingredients, only what is necessary to produce the required elements of each.

Not made their base yet, but found the dishes excellent when used with a base of here such as CA's. In fact their Jalfrezi recipe works splendidly with the Taz base too.

If the book was lost or stolen from me would I buy it again? - yes.

Oh yes! it has lovely & easy recipes for pre-cooking chicken & lamb etc. Plus I like the wide selection of side dish recipes in the book.

Regards

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion SP, I noted they have a recipe for onion bhaji and tikka, how do these compare to the recipes in the group tests?

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion SP, I noted they have a recipe for onion bhaji and tikka, how do these compare to the recipes in the group tests?

Hi

Sorry, not made the books bhaji's or tikka as so happy with CWG's, Dip's and Blades.

However, silly not to try it! - will try and make their tikka this weekend and report back.

Cheers

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 06:19 PM »

Hi Axe

Made the Curry Crunch Tikka over the weekend:

Verdict: Delicious! - right up there with the best of the previous tikka group test winners. Well worth making. This is now on my personal favourite list.

Cheers

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 06:41 PM »
That looks very tasty indeed, thanks for testing the recipe and reporting back. :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 09:53 PM »

Hi Solarsplace
Looks Yum! How do you cook your Tikka?

Also curious to know, as this book is another BIR secrets expose etc..
Does it have Pataks pastes in the Tandoori/Tikka recipes?

I've been experimenting and cooking lots of Tikka lately, trying to recreate
the taste of the 70s - before Pataks!

One rare book I'm after is The Tandoor : The Great Indian Barbecue : by Ranjit Rai
Supposed to be the business and it probably is, because it's on Amazon @ ?117.66

Regards ChewyTikka.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 10:06 PM »

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 11:54 AM »
@Axe

Glad you like the pictures (Cr0 image host down again ATM :( ). Also make Gobi Pakoras from the book on Saturday, those were very nice too! - will be using that recipe again also.

@Chewytikka

Thank you for the kind words and the tip on the 'Tandoor: The Great Indian Barbecue' book - on the wish-list!

My tikka technique is very basic, remove tikka from fridge and thread onto large tandoor skewers, leave to drip excess marinade off into a baking tray while the meat reaches room temperature. Then cook suspend just above the grill on the barbecue.

Edit: The Curry Crunch book does require the use of brand not specified pre-made pastes - I used some Patacks, although these are reasonably minimal throughout the book and seem to be mainly for the tikka type recipes.

Cheers all

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 01:05 PM »
The Tandoor looks very interesting indeed, has anyone got a copy of this already that can recommend it?

Solar, I cook my Tikka on skewers but rested over a a small roasting tin lined with sliced onion. Then I pop this in a hot oven (250c) for 15mins or so. I end up with really juicy chicken, singed at the edges and a tray of tabacco onions. yum

©2024 Curry Recipes