Author Topic: Chicken Chasni with Taz Base  (Read 8405 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Chasni with Taz Base
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Hi
It is and thank you for your efforts, even though it was posted here before your approval was sort. Did someone mention copy right in another thread?

Hi commis, the first time this was posted on cr0 (I mean the original Taz threads) was from Mick.

Paul

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 04:01 AM »
There was me thinking the Tax base and method were different from many others.  ::)

The way I see it is as follows Mick:

Other than the relatively large quantity of oil in the base, Taz's base is similar to many other base recipes on the forum.  The method of preparation is also similar to (if not the same as) many of the other base recipes.

Taz's spice mix is also similar to many others on the forum.

In my opinion, the most significant differences (and probably the only significant differences) are:

a)  not using additional oil when cooking the main dishes, and

b)  adding the spices AFTER the first quantity of base is added. 

Most recipes on the forum call for frying the ingredients, in additional oil, BEFORE adding the first quantity of base. 

Thereafter, in my opinion, the cooking method is similar to (if not the same as) many other main dish cooking methods on this forum i.e. add a LIMITED amount of base and REDUCE IT, SUBSTANTIALLY,WITH THE SPICES, before adding more base, other ingredients, etc.  This is the bases (excuse the pun) of my previous comments, about "reduction not being anything new", earlier in this thread.

What THIS method emphasises, however, is just HOW MUCH the base should be reduced before adding further base, ingredients, etc.  That point probably isn't emphasised anywhere near enough (although largely known and understood) in the other recipes.

The importance of this, to my mind, is to ensure that the spices are cooked sufficiently to develop their flavours (whether they are fried, beforehand, or not).  It is this point that I was trying to emphasise, which Taz's method does admirably.  Plus, I suppose, the importance of using plenty of oil (however you choose to get it into the pan)

I hope this clarifies my previous comments? 

I welcome your opinions if you see things differently  :)

PS:  I also thank you for your efforts; you simply can't beat first hand reports directly from real chefs in real BIRs.  And your contributions, in that regard, are simply outstanding  8)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Thank you for your kind words CA,

I still stand by what I said, the Taz base relies on the first base being reduced to such a level that the oil fries the spices once the majority of water has been boiled off.

The previously accepted 'normal' method does not need this as the spices are fried/fused in oil prior to the base going in the pan. From then on you could add all the base in one go if you wish and reduce or add it at a chefs spoon at a time for all the difference it makes.
I have seen chefs do this with no difference in taste in the final curry. Only my opinion from what I have seen.

This is and was the only point I was making.

Thanks,
Mick

Offline Baltilicious

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 04:09 PM »
This is a fantastic dish! I made this to spec on New Year's eve and it went down a treat, sweet and savoury and oooooh so tasty!

This is on my list for one of my favourite mild curries! Thanks for posting it!!

©2024 Curry Recipes