Author Topic: New curry fanatic member  (Read 20252 times)

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New curry fanatic member
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Hello again

Interesting improvements you have made to the new model of the nipoori. The stainless steel charcoal support will be a great improvement as my old metal one has took a good battering and was never really up to the job. I also like the idea of the BBQ grill fitting inside the unit this should lower the temperature inside and allow items to be cooked more slowly ideal as you say for larger chicken, meat and fish portions. I also reckon it will be especially perfect for pizza and ribs - I'm gonna try and fit a make shift grill inside my nipoori and do some experimenting with cooking times I'll let you know the results if you want.

Not to sure about the naan - it would have to be slapped on a very hot pan already heated up in the fully fired up nipoori then a quick hood off,  naan on, hood on routine if you know what I mean! Yep possible - I'll give it a whirl.

Shorter half of skewers for use on BBQ grill - suppose so if you are not using the unit as a Tandoor and are just doing a steak or something. But come on the only way to cook your satays or kebabs have got to be with the nipoori in moist, succulent tandoor mode!

Finally perhaps the most important thing you have done by enabling the fitting of the BBQ rack inside the unit is giving it the capability of being used as a smoker - hot or cool! May need a bit of a design tweak or not and most probably some sort of lid or pan placed on top but I can't see why it would not be ideal. Perfect for our cousins across the Atlantic the all in one Tandoori Barbecue Smoker.

Bon Bon

Offline nipoori man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Hi Coogan

I'll see if we could sort a replacement charcoal support (the new stainless steel) for you.  Please keep me posted on your "experiments" (pictures or better still, short videos would be  great) .  Any suggestions /  recommendation from our pioneer nipoori users is much appreciated.

ganesan

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 04:25 PM »
I'm back,

Cheers! Ganesan. I would really like to try out  a new charcoal support in my nipoori - will it fit my old model? That bit takes a real pounding mine is well battered but it has seen a lot of action - rest of the oven is fine. I'll let you now how it performs if you send me one!

Bon support.

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Hello all,

Run out of the last batch of Chicken Tikka Dhansak. So here goes for a new lot hopefully as good as the last. As promised here?s the recipe with photos - if I can post them.

Chicken Tikka Dhansak

To make the chicken tikka I used 2.5 kilo of chicken marinated, prepared and cooked as already listed earlier in this thread.

For the curry base I used KDs sauce ingredients and method accept for the addition of 1 tsp of tandoori masala, changing the tin toms for passata and by grating and frying the ginger/garlic before adding to the boiled onions - I also fried the spices in the g/g mix.

Ingredients
350g red split lentils
350g yellow split peas soaked over night
450g parsnip peeled and quartered
3 onions peeled and quartered
5 cloves of garlic peeled whole
1 inch cube ginger peeled and grated
12 tbsp oil
2 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp turmeric
3 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp black mustard seeds
540g tin pineapple pieces pureed.
2 tbsp tamarind concentrate
1 tbsp ground black pepper.
4 tbsp garam masala freshly made.
100g chopped fresh chillies
Bunch chopped fresh coriander
Salt, sugar

Spice mix
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground paprika
1 tbsp cayenne
1 tbsp chana masala

Method

Cook the red lentils in 3 pints of water with 1tsp each of ground ginger, turmeric and salt for 30 mins boil for ten then simmer skimming of any scum on top - do not drain.  Cook the yellow split peas in 2 pints of water in the same way but drain when done and reserve the stock.

Toss the parsnip, onions and garlic in oil with a little sugar in a baking tray and roast in a hot oven 200c for about 50 mins until nicely caramelized. Then puree the whole lot in a blender with the reserved stock from the yellow split peas.

Heat 12 tablespoons of oil in large pan and when smoking hot add the cumin and black mustard seeds for 10 seconds until popped then add the grated ginger and fry for about 1 min until brown. Then add the combined spice mix ingredients for 30 seconds - I cool the oil with a spoon or two of the curry base to help prevent the spices from burning. Add the rest of the curry base sauce and fry for 10 mins on a high heat.

Add the red lentil mix, yellow split peas, pureed pineapple and the blended parsnip, onion and garlic mix. Keep on high heat until back on the boil and then turn down to a simmer. Add some boiling water if the sauce appears to thick ? I added about a pint and a half. Now add the chillies, concentrated tamarind, fresh coriander, black pepper and the garam masala. Salt to taste and leave to tick over quietly with the lid on for an hour or two ? whilst sorting out the tikka.

Nipoori and portion up the tikka, pour on the sauce and serve garnished with a lemon, coriander and bay leaf garnish or freeze.

Definitely by far the best hot, sweet and sour dhansak that I have tasted from anywhere ? to die for.

Here?s some pics.

Bon Dhansak
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:58 PM by coogan »

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Hello,

Have now posted the Tikka Dhansak recipe in the appropriate place.  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5822.0

bon jovi
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:30 PM by coogan »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 09:11 PM »
wow Coogan you don't hang about when it comes to making curries! I take it Dhansak is your favourite? The Tikka looks fantastic!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Good darts. :) That Nipoori certainly seems to work for you.

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Cheers men!

The nipoori  plays the right tunes for me! Yep Dhansak is my favourite along with CTM - one left in the freezer so I will be making another batch of them next week I will post the recipe and results with pics hopefully.

bon jovi

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Hello again,

Cooked up my next batch of Chicken Tikka Masala for the freezer. I have posted the full recipe and method from start to finish in the tandoor cooking section.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5835.0
Here's some pics.

Bon jovi

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Where can I buy a Napoori tandoori and what is the approximate cost please?

©2024 Curry Recipes