Author Topic: Coogans Tandoori and Tikka marinade.  (Read 5018 times)

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Coogans Tandoori and Tikka marinade.
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:30 PM »
Hi,

Here's my version of Tandoori and Tikka marinades that I use for chicken to be cooked in a Nipoori oven before being combined with a sauce.

I always use about 2.5 kilo breast of chicken for either recipe to provide enough cooked meat for twelve healthy portions.

I use the same first fusion technique also for both marinades :-

Cut the chicken into 1.5 inch pieces and put into a large bowl. Then add two tablespoons of salt and the juice from to large lemons. Give the whole lot a good mix, cover and then leave for about 20 mins whilst you prepare for the next stage.

Tandoori Marinade

500mls Yoghurt                                   
2 inch ginger peeled and chopped         
3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped       
1 tsp black pepper                                 
1 tbsp ground black cumin
1 tsp cayenne
2 tbsp Tandoori Masala (TRS Brand)
1 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp ready made mint sauce in vinegar (any brand)
1 tsp beetroot powder

Tikka marinade

500mls Yoghurt                                   
2 inch ginger peeled and chopped         
3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped       
1 tbsp ground normal cumin                                 
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne
2 tbsp garam masala (fresh home made)
2 tbsp tumeric

Then put either lot into a blender blitz until smooth mix with your prepared chicken pieces cover and leave to marinate for 24 hours.

I then rinse of the excess marinade mixture from chicken and pat dry with kitchen paper. Load the chicken pieces on to the skewers, brush with ghee and dust with garam or tandoori masala accordingly. Then place in the fired up Nipoori oven for 6 mins, sizzle of the chicken jewels and enjoy.

Bon Jovi

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Coogans Tandoori and Tikka marinade.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 03:39 PM »
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to post your recipe  ;D

With regard to the tikka marinade, having read through the list of ingredients, it does not seem to be um, well very tikkary for want of better words. I am sure its very tasty, but is a little sprinkle of tandoori masala enough to actually make it an actual tikka?  :-\

cheers

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:10 PM »
With regard to the tikka marinade, having read through the list of ingredients, it does not seem to be um, well very tikkary for want of better words. I am sure its very tasty, but is a little sprinkle of tandoori masala enough to actually make it an actual tikka?  :-\
Looks not entirely dissimilar to mine, so I am willing to believe that it could yield an authentic-tasting tikka : here is mine (and Tandoori, for comparison).
** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:16 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to post your recipe  ;D

cheers

Hi,

Works for me all the time! Perhaps you should try following the whole recipe rather than just looking at the list of ingredients and jumping to a wrong conclusion. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Bon tikka 

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:37 PM »

Looks not entirely dissimilar to mine (see below), so I am willing to believe that it could yield an authentic-tasting tikka : here is mine (and Tandoori, for comparison).
** Phil.

Hi Phil,

Yep! They are not a million miles apart. I see that you use sherry vinegar in your tandoori marinade - I definitely think you need vinegar of some description I get mine from the mint sauce. End of day its all down to individual tastes and what you and your guests enjoy the most.

Bon jovi

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:05 PM »

Works for me all the time! Perhaps you should try following the whole recipe rather than just looking at the list of ingredients and jumping to a wrong conclusion.

Bit of a harsh & unnecessary response! - I was thanking you for posting your recipe and asking a question with smiley icons all over it to show good intentions.

I try lots of recipes all the time and yours is on the list :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:37 PM by solarsplace »

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 07:46 PM »

Works for me all the time! Perhaps you should try following the whole recipe rather than just looking at the list of ingredients and jumping to a wrong conclusion.

Bit of a harsh & unnecessary response! - I was thanking you for posting your recipe and asking a question with smiley icons all over it to show good intentions.

I try lots of recipes all the time and yours is on the list :)

Cheers

Yep,

Sorry! But I'm a touchy curry muncher.

Bon luck

©2024 Curry Recipes