Author Topic: The ABC of Balti  (Read 33733 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The ABC of Balti
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2011, 09:40 AM »
Thanks Chewy, I will have a look around my local store to see what they have. 

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Hi

Here are some words on what others have to say on the Mr Naga Chilli Pickle. It does sound very nice!

http://tomwebster25.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/mr-naga-hot-pepper-pickle/

Cheers

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Thanks for the heads up, certainly looks like one for me to look out for.  You say that it is a favourite of the north east BIR's? So, is it used in the same way that me and Malc (AXE) used the chilli jam?  If so, what other dishes would you recommend it's use in.

Cheers,

Ray :)

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2011, 09:09 PM »
hI

I have tried using this in a naga madras but IMHO the spice flavour from the chilli paste overpowers the curry taste for me.  Would be interested to know if others try it!

Barry

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2011, 11:27 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Thanks for the heads up, certainly looks like one for me to look out for.  You say that it is a favourite of the north east BIR's? So, is it used in the same way that me and Malc (AXE) used the chilli jam?  If so, what other dishes would you recommend it's use in.

Cheers,

Ray :)

Hi Ray
I don't think any of the chef's I know, use Mr. Naga in old school curries like Jal Ferezi, Vindaloo etc..
It's used more in the Chef's Specialties or The New Dishes section of a their menu.
Like e.g.  Jhal Jhool, or Deshi Naga Gosht. Once you've tasted Mr. Naga, you would recognize it in any contemporary curry, it has a strong unique flavour. The next time your in an Asian food store, look out for a small box of fresh chillis on the counter where you pay for your stuff, they will probably be fresh Naga's, usually 15p each.
Buy one, tear it open and have a good sniff. AHHH NAGA!!!!
When you take the lid off Mr.Naga, you get the same. AHHH NAGA!!!!

I'd recommend you try half a teaspoon in any Bhuna style curry.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2011, 02:58 PM »
I had an appointment at a new Asian store today being opened by some very friendly and accommodating Bangladeshi people. On show amongst the usual packets of spicing etc., were several jars of Mr Naga.

I picked up the Jar and the owners wife exclaimed "very hot", so I am taking her at her word! I didn't actually buy it as I am returning next week and will have a better look around the shop.

She also gave me an interesting sounding recipe for green chicken, which i'll be testing out. If it's any good, i'll post it up. :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Hi Axe & Everyone

Just to re-itterate what has already been said - great post Axe, having had this book on my shelf since Christmas, Thanks primarily to your great report - I'm finnaly going to get around to making the base, mix and a dish or two from it at the weekend.

In fact I am a little surprised no other members tried recipes from the book and have fed back already on this? (since your new post. I'm aware there is an old thread on the subject).

Sorry if you already talked about this (I may have missed it in one of the posts) - did you see on the site, there are additional recipes and recipe modifications?

http://www.kushibalti.co.uk/morerecipes.htm

Axe, do you think you will make this base, mix and recipes from the book in future?

Thanks again

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Axe, do you think you will make this base, mix and recipes from the book in future?

I will without doubt be making the base again, once the Taz base I have left is finished. Both the Base and the Mix work well together and I really like the flavours they produce.

Based on my results, I will certainly be looking to repeat some of the recipes in the book. Those that did not favour so well I will look to adjust for my palate. One thing you may wish to note though, is that the main recipes in the book are generally milder than you may prefer.

I did notice the recipes on the site only recently. I haven't tried any of them as yet though. It will be something to look at, when I next make the base. I also noted that the chicken sagwala recipe is different to the prawn sagwala recipe listed in the book.

It is important to note that this base is thicker than others and produces a different result. The quantity of base used is less, so you need to keep that in mind when making your own creations. It certainly worked really well for the LeSpice Jalfrezi. It's also an easy base and mix to play around with, you might even call it forgiving in this respect.

I look forward to your results. :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Hi Axe & Everyone

Got the book out on Saturday from the shelf where it has been since Christmas, and had a good old cooking session...

All I can say is why?, why is the forum not raving about this book and its recipes?

Made Kushi tikka, base and mix

Made "Kushi - balti chicken tikka rogan josh"

This is a Balti style Chicken Tikka Rogan Josh - topped with a pan browned garlic, onion, spice and tomato mix in veg ghee.

It is nothing less than stunning....

This base has THE smell. It has it in bucket loads, it is more-ish beyound your dreams.

It would be easy to dismiss this almost irrational enthusiam as a honeymoon period of trying a new base - I am convince otherwise.

This is at no.1 on the 'will do it again' list - no question about that!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Looks very tasty indeed Russ, nice one. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I have so far. I would love to know what you think of the Jalfrezi now you are in a position to try it.
 :)

©2024 Curry Recipes