Author Topic: A negative View On BIR  (Read 11666 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: A negative View On BIR
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 06:00 PM »
I loved the phrase "mini-rant" and indeed felt a lot of the criticism of BIR cooking (and bases) were assertions that lacked evidence.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 06:15 PM »
I loved the phrase "mini-rant" and indeed felt a lot of the criticism of BIR cooking (and bases) were assertions that lacked evidence.
OK, but the original poster (Anzu) is Indian.  Imagine we moved to India, and found when we get there that there were a large number of IBRs ("Indian British Restaurants") that had found that British food sold well to the locals but needed (a) to be tailored to local tastes, and (b) simplified so that a complete meal could be prepared in no more than twenty minutes.  Do you not think that we might justifiably have a "mini-rant" about how disgusting IBR food is ?

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I don't think that would be comparing like for like Phil as I don't think we have a cuisine to compare but I do take your point and you may well be right, nevertheless I'd like to think we might be a bit more evidence based that the writer.

However on that note I already rant about how disgusting British or pseudo or adopted British food is and there are plenty sources of evidence, e.g. Little Chef, Greggs.

Steve

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 06:34 PM »
I already rant about how disgusting British or pseudo or adopted British food is and there are plenty sources of evidence, e.g. Little Chef
My G@d, you've virtually admitted in public that you've eaten in a Little Chef; have you no shame at all  ???  ;D

But on a more serious note : when you say --

I don't think we have a cuisine to compare

are you suggesting that there is no such thing as British cuisine (or Scots, or Welsh, or Irish, or English) ?  If you are, I could not agree.  Just to name a few national dishes, we have steak, kidney, mushroom and oyster pudding (as served at Simpsons-in-the-Strand), haggis, Irish stew, the Roast Beefe of Olde England, lemon pancakes, the full English breakfast, porrage, lava bread, and so on.  I believe that there is very clear evidence that there exists am easily identifiable British cuisine, and that -- well prepared -- it can stand comparison with French, Chinese, Indian, Spanish, Thai & so on.  Would you really not agree, or have I simply misunderstood you ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:51 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 10:13 PM »
No Phil I maybe not explained it very well but I just don't think I'd know where to start if we were to say open up a British takeaway in Mombai - I mean if places like Greggs represent what we have to offer as the best of British takeaway food then it means we are a land of pie, sausage roll and doughnut eaters.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 11:00 PM »
OK, but then as you said, we are not comparing like for like, because (as far as I know) BIR cuisine isn't modelled on take-away food as sold/eaten in India; rather, it is based on traditional Indian cuisine, but modified to suit the western palate and to allow fast preparation. 

So on that basis, you would have to work out how to modify (for example) steak (that's a no-no for a start, in Hindu India), kidney (--ditto--), mushroom and oyster pudding to suit the Indian palate and to be capable of being served in 20 minutes or less !

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:37 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 12:53 PM »
OK, but then as you said, we are not comparing like for like, because (as far as I know) BIR cuisine isn't modelled on take-away food as sold/eaten in India; rather, it is based on traditional Indian cuisine, but modified to suit the western palate and to allow fast preparation. 

So on that basis, you would have to work out how to modify (for example) steak (that's a no-no for a start, in Hindu India), kidney (--ditto--), mushroom and oyster pudding to suit the Indian palate and to be capable of being served in 20 minutes or less !

** Phil.

yup however I think we could manage that Scottish delicacy of deef fried Mars Bars in batter without too much difficulty but it might spawn a forum called Scottish Recipes Online in which 30 or 40 different batters recipes will be debated to find the "secret ingredient".

;D

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 01:25 PM »
"secret ingredient".

A dram or two of whiskey, What else ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 01:35 PM »
yup however I think we could manage that Scottish delicacy of deef fried Mars Bars in batter without too much difficulty but it might spawn a forum called Scottish Recipes Online in which 30 or 40 different batters recipes will be debated to find the "secret ingredient".
ROTFL (once again), which I really needed after mowing the lawn and tidying up the garden !

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Hi, this subject seems to have drifted into the area of poor quality UK food.
I could not agree more with what has been said. However high street fast food outlets are not the only source and the shares in Greggs at this point in time are doing well.
This tells us something :( they did say the share price rise was due to bacon/sausage butties and coffee sales. Also would you consider street food in other country's any better ? like the simple samosa cooked in oil.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:32 PM by Graeme »

©2024 Curry Recipes