Author Topic: Frying powdered spices  (Read 2332 times)

Offline moezus

• Chef
    • View Profile
Frying powdered spices
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Hi,

Just after some advice on frying powdered spices. I've seen a few recipes that call for frying powdered spices in oil before adding the rest of the ingredients. I'm wondering how this is done exactly?

what purpose does it serve?
At what heat?
for how long?
how do you know when they are fried adequately?
would it be obvious if they get burnt?

Appreciate any info as I've tried this a few times and not sure if I'm frying them for long enough in fear of burning.

thanks.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Frying powdered spices
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Spices are cooked to release the flavour locked within them. I heat a pan with oil on high then generally take the pan away from the heat to add the spices. Stirring continuously for about a minute. If the pan cools too much I show it some more heat or simply return it to a low heat. You'll know when they are cooked as they release their aroma and colour the oil.

Spices burn eaily so be careful not to give them too much heat and remember to keep stirring. You'll know when they are overcooked or burnt by both smell and taste in the final dish as they go very bitter.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:54 AM »
there are quite a few trains of thought on this one.

the hot fry "toffee" smell, slow boat gentle fry "fizzle", fry with free water.

i've spent quite a bit of time on the subject. i add a chef spoon (4tbsp) of base at the same time as adding the spices and tom puree with the pan off heat.

the more you fry the darker the curry. for me spices don't need long cooking 30 to 60 secs and don't need high heat.

you will know if they burn - the taste is something you won't repeat. i always aim to under rather than over cook.

there are quite a few existing posts - suggest search on toffee. this may also help http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2968.0

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:55 AM »
Hi Moezus,

I've seen a few recipes that call for frying powdered spices in oil before adding the rest of the ingredients.......what purpose does it serve?

The "essential oils" in the spices are insoluble in aqueous media (e.g. water) but soluble in non-aqueous media (e.g. oil).  Frying them in oil releases, and dissolves, their essential oils

At what heat?

Good question, there doesn't seem to be much information available on this.  I presume some essential oils require more heat to "release" them than others.  And that the higher the temperature, the quicker it happens.

for how long?

Ditto the above.  The higher the heat the quicker it happens.  In practice, I'd reckon on several tens of seconds (to a couple of minutes for whole spices) at around 160C.  But that's a guesstimate.

how do you know when they are fried adequately?
Yet another good question!  Generally, cook them in oil until the oil starts to separate again. 

would it be obvious if they get burnt?

Not really (until you eat the final curry and it tastes bitter!  (Though a "bitter" too late, I reckon  :P!)

My advice would be to rather undercook them (time and temperature) them than risk burning them.  You can also make a slurry of them, in water, and add this to the heated oil.  Or add curry base, tomato puree, etc, shortly after adding the powdered spices.

As Axe says, it's probably best to add the powdered spices "off heat", then return the pan to the heat and immediately add tomato puree/curry base or whatever (to prevent them burning).

An alternative (or additional) method, to prevent them from burning, is to add the spices (as described above) and then immediately add the meat and coat the meat in the spices....then add the tomato puree/curry base/etc)  This also applies to cooking garlic (also to avoid burning it).

Hope this helps...sorry for its longwindedness!  :P

©2024 Curry Recipes