Author Topic: What Pan  (Read 35333 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: What Pan
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 08:39 PM »
I had one of the 26cm ones on order from Amazon, but I have just cancelled it after watching the guy in Chutneys. I've ordered a 20cm one now which I appreciate is quite small but it is about what they were using there.

Trust me it'll be too small.  If it's not too small come back and tell me and I'll eat my words with veg ghee on, but I speak as a man who ordered a 20cm meyer commercialware aluminium HT pan by mistake (thinking it was the 26cm version) and you won't cook a takeaway sized portion of curry in one.  Remember the sides are tapered so the base dia is..... <trots off to kitchen with tape measure> ....only 15cm.  In the interests of science I just filled mine with water from a 1 litre measuring jug.  With water up to 1cm below the rim of the pan 300ml remained in the jug, so the workable capacity is no more than 700ml.  Anyone know the volume of a standard takeaway main dish foil tray?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Anyone know the volume of a standard takeaway main dish foil tray?
Can't quote you for foil, but for resealable plastic as used in Chinese t/a's, 500ml small and 700ml large.

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Hi NJ,

I agree.  I do have a 20cm Ali BIR pan, and your measurements are spot on.  The tapered sides make it really difficult to keep the sauce in the pan and not all over the hob.  I have a 20cm old frying with a base of about 18cm, with concave sides.  This is now my pan of choice.  It used to be non stick but most of that has worn off over the years, and it's basically now just an Ali pan, perfect for BIR dishes.

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00 PM »
This look pretty good, right size, thick walled and with slightly higher sides. Price is good too. It doesn't have the curve into the base that I would prefer but other than that looks good.

http://www.directtableware.com/product/5733,aluminium-omlette-pan-24cm/

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Sorry to labour this topic but after quite a bit of searching on the web, I think i've found the perfect pan. They also stock quite a few other items found in BIR's too. I might even be tempted by the LPG Burner they have.

The wife is gonna kill me. lol ;D

http://www.chefline.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1760&osCsid=02o0174va30smsmgseefnjrns4

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 04:22 PM »
I like the look of that a lot, Axe. High sides and a nice flat bottom. I've got the same one as Solarsplace linked to on the first page, but I am tempted to go for one of those at that price.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Hi Guys

With regard to the link Axe posted, which size do you think is best? the 24cm one?

Thanks

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 07:11 PM »
Yeah, I don't think you want to go bigger than 24cm.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Yeah, I don't think you want to go bigger than 24cm.

Totally agree,
Mick

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Don't forget to tell them who sent you, i'll see if I can get a discount when I order. ;D 8)

©2024 Curry Recipes