Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 136634 times)

Offline daveyham

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Strange works ok for me using internet explorer and google chrome, did you follow this link http://vimeo.com/mikestyne/videos then go to page 2.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Strange works ok for me using internet explorer and google chrome, did you follow this link http://vimeo.com/mikestyne/videos then go to page 2.

Yes Sir, used link again, still nothing, using IE8, wonder if that has something to do with it,
has anyone played these videos on IE8?

Les

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Been using IE8 here for the last few months.   No issues experienced with any of the videos.  Sorry can't offer any technical advice  :-\

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2012, 02:40 PM »
Been using IE8 here for the last few months.   No issues experienced with any of the videos.  Sorry can't offer any technical advice  :-\

Thanks CH
The prob must be my end it seem's

Les

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2012, 02:43 PM »
Sorry can't help either, but they work for me on Opera and IE8. :-\

Offline scotboi

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2012, 01:58 PM »
Just gotta say this recipe was spot on for me. Made this base yesterday (my first attempt at making BIR style curry) and was perfect, maybe a bit to thick but that was my own fault (not enough water)So used it with your madras recipe last night and it was awesome. Really enjoyed it and was very close to BIR for me. Thanks Chewy.

Offline Tatss

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2012, 04:10 AM »
Thanks!!
Your the man !! Pressure cooker base( quality) x

Offline Tatss

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2012, 04:37 AM »
Chewy,
Not sure how to post this
So here wee go
Been trying for years
Your magic pressure cooker base !
( wife friendly) ????
Cory anders magic spice mix!
Grind and fry 2 Kashmiri chillies no burnnnn

Then 1garlic & 1ginger1 min
Good squash of Tom pur

Offline benmitchell88

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2012, 02:19 AM »
Yes, I have to admit Chewy's 3 hour base is definitely the next base I'll be making, after watching his video demo! I reckon as mentioned by many earlier that sieving does make a lot of difference to the end result leaving it more smooth and velvety.

Just need a pressure cooker now ;D

Thanks for taking the time to upload the video Chewy!  ;)

Ben

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2012, 03:43 AM »
Made chewy's base sat night pretty much to spec, everything went bloody excellently.

Here it is after blending

With the oil separated, scum mostly removed and final consistency

Madras done pretty much to chewy's madras recipe

Tastes absolutely divine, proper BIR/TA taste and smell.

My sister was round and got to sample it. We've had a family madras curry every week for the last 15/17 years. Her eyes jumped out and said "that's a Madras" and was stunned how much like a top TA it tasted like. We were both pretty stunned. Eating more and it just got better. Can't believe how much depth in flavour, the transitions, no tomato just that familiar TA taste and texture and after taste. The key for me was the final bit of sauce left and how good it tasted and had to be mopped up. Many times in the past my curries fall away half way through eating and don't come through with that savory texture that just glides and demands to be eaten and miss the  background flavour building up.

We concluded it was a mixture of a restaurant and takeaway we've gone to many times, like some divine hybrid. We both said its actually a touch more fresher and better. In looks its more like the restaurant, my preferred TA is bit more redder and thicker/richer with a bit more oil left in. The balance was very good and my sister doesn't like too much oil and is really impressed with the spicyness and then the flavours taking over. The restaurant is a bit weak on heat for their madras. On cooking I did add 2 fresh cut bird eyes chillies in with a small bit of diced pepper/capsicum. More like a mix of chewys two madras videos but I left out the small bit chopped onion. my local TA does put a small quantity fresh cut chillies in the cooking stage and perhaps some other stuff like pepper, onion.

Some small differences I did, around 2.5 kilo of onion. The resulting base was slightly thinner than chewy's video I've watched over and over. Did 2 cups of water instead of 3 because the base seemed thinner. Perhaps the water in a few more onions helped. Sunflower oil instead of regular veg oil. My chilli powder in the mix powder is Deggi Mirch by MDH instead of chewy's Kashmiri mirch. I believe there' not much difference. Didn't have time to sieve but felt I did a good job blending it.

A big thank you to chewytikka, this forum and its members.

With chatting to the head chef at my local TA over the years, talking about how good his are he's pretty insistent how many are too tomatoey and for me this is another key in no tin of toms used in the base. Sure this is what the chef is alluding to.

All the powder is from my local Asian store that the curry houses use.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:39 AM by harley »

©2024 Curry Recipes