Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 136648 times)

Offline bluebalti

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #240 on: April 07, 2013, 12:29 PM »
I sieved out shed loads of fibre, Mrs BB was wondering what difference it makes? I mentioned a few of the earlier posts saying it removes some of the bitterness and makes the sauce more smooth but wondered if those with a more educated palate than mine could tell the difference?

The madras wasn't that hot (my preference), I eased down on the hot chilli powder which I had as a replacement for the Kashmiri chilli

Anyway I now have 7 takeaway containers full of gravy in the freezer, am I right in thinking each container would make approx enough curry sauce for 2?

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 07, 2013, 12:38 PM »
Are they the large variety or the sort that you get your side dish in?  If you thinned it down in line with Chewy's video instructions 250ml - 300ml is enough for one portion of curry. Depending how big you like your portions of course ;)  If your gravy is thicker, obviously it will go further.

Offline bluebalti

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 07, 2013, 01:15 PM »
They're the chinese takeaway plastic type, typically what the fried rice comes in... I'll have a look back through this, and other threads. Not a million miles away, size wise though!

Thanks again.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2013, 02:25 PM »
They're the chinese takeaway plastic type, typically what the fried rice comes in
Then they would almost certainly be 500 or 650ml.  Look at the base and you should see one of those numbers there in the plastic moulding.

* Phil.

Offline liam1412

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 31, 2013, 01:28 PM »
Will a normal seive work instead of the food mill.  Just pushing it through with a spoon?  I'm doing a curry tonight and don't have a mill.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 31, 2013, 01:46 PM »
That's what I do! It takes some time and my hands seize up, but worth doing if you have the time. I sometimes (often!) don't bother though and the results are just as good (almost). A pestle works better than a spoon if you have one.

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Thanks Chewy. Your base gave me the nearest to a BIR that I've achieved to date; identical actually.

Only 1 curry with it so far, I ran with a Jalfrezi; 5 tbs oil, rough chopped half onion, rough chopped half red pepper, rough chopped half green pepper, 1 tsp garlic puree, 1 tsp ginger puree, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tbs tomato puree, 1 star anise, 500 ml Chewy 3h base, 500g pre-cooked beef, 1 tsp salt, pinch fenugreek leaves, 1/2 tsp garam masala & fresh coriander. In respect to the Jalfezi, I think the star anise was the final key.

A very good base, more flavoursome than others due to the spice mix; new on me. So far I've tried KD's, a variety on KD's, Darth's and your own. Still have a few more "famous" bases to try yet; hope they are as good as yours.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 09, 2014, 03:23 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Great video my mate. As I've mentioned before, what I like about the look of this base, is how it runs off the spoon, leaving the spoon clean rather than coating it.  Also, the straining of the base is something that I've never done but do intend to on my next batch.

So Chewy, if you don't mind me asking, what's your background in BIR cooking?  How did you come by your methods and techniques, are your recipes your own or gleaned from your favourite BIR chef?

Sorry for the questions but you seem to be offering us something subtly different than has been mentioned before and maybe your style is what quite a few of us are looking for?

Just one more thing if I may, would you mind putting up the exact measurements to this base?  I know we can see it for ourselves, and you have also added commentary on your video but there is something reassuring about seeing a recipe in print  ;D

Many thanks Chewy, excellent work again fella.

Ray :)

Hi Ray
I don't think any base has exact quantities, but here goes...
200ml any vegetable oil
1 medium carrot.
1 Large bulb of Garlic.
3 inch piece of fresh ginger.
A quarter of medium white cabbage.
1 medium green capsicum.
A handful of fresh coriander+stalks.
1tbsp of Salt.
2 Kilos Onions.
3 litres tap water
Put a lid on and Boil it up for at least an hour.

Mixed powder in the vid :-
2 tsp Madras Curry Powder
2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
0.5 tsp Garam Masala or Kitchen King

Cheers

I think- and I know this is a big thing to say- but I think this could - be - IT  :D

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2014, 04:52 PM »
I've just made this base and I'm well impressed, it's has a nice sweetness to it, it could almost be used as is for people who like mild curry or with a few additions would make a very nice soup, this will be my go to base from now on.

Offline peeno

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 22, 2014, 10:35 AM »
Thanks, just the recipe I was looking for, I do not have a pressure cooker.

A stupid question: olive oil is good for this base?

©2024 Curry Recipes