Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 136633 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #250 on: August 22, 2014, 10:40 AM »
I would say not, as OO has a flavour of its own- which is why it gets used as a garnish and veg oil e.g. doesn't. Small quantiities perhaps (like in pasta) but not hundreds of mill.

PS: A question which clarifies can never be a stupid one ;)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 22, 2014, 12:52 PM »
Hi Peeno
I wouldn

Offline peeno

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 25, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Thank you!

Sorry if my questions may seem stupid, but I am a newcomer to the curry, and we, in Italy, put olive oil everywhere! ahahahhaaha

Unfortunately we were brainwashed with the Mediterranean diet, also writing false things, but this is not the place to talk about it, I know.
Thanks again!

See you soon :)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 30, 2014, 11:57 AM »
Chewy,

Can I use frozen garlic and frozen ginger in your base if so how much of each.

Cheers,
London.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 30, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Hi London
The frozen G&G is 100% natural and a good standby.

I would use 2 blocks of each for this base, should work fine. ;)

cheers Chewy

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 03, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Never did find a base better than yours Chewy. I did change a few things, but not much really. I fry the tomato and spice mix before adding, and I don't bother with the sieve. Other than that, I follow this pretty much identical.

As I have a base I'm happy and familiar with, I'm starting to change things up just a little. On this occasion I added a bit of coconut block and reserved some of the water to boil up some cardamoms, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves and bay leaves. Added the stock water into the pot. If it doesn't come out so well, I'll be able to pick out what didn't work and revert. I'll keep you updated.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 03, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Never did find a base better than yours Chewy. I did change a few things, but not much really. I fry the tomato and spice mix before adding, and I don't bother with the sieve. Other than that, I follow this pretty much identical.

As I have a base I'm happy and familiar with, I'm starting to change things up just a little. On this occasion I added a bit of coconut block and reserved some of the water to boil up some cardamoms, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves and bay leaves. Added the stock water into the pot. If it doesn't come out so well, I'll be able to pick out what didn't work and revert. I'll keep you updated.

And that's what this site is all about.  It provides all the necessary building blocks for BIR home chefs to tweak things until we get to where we want to go. 

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 14, 2015, 12:47 PM »
It's difficult to say if the minor changes I applied to Chewy's basic approach added much. I'd really need a side by side comparison. What I can say though is the slightly adapted base produces a great curry. So as it's not much extra effort to boil up some whole spices, and as it probably does add an extra layer of flavour complexity, I'm going to stick with it.

Today I cracked Rogan Josh (1990's Bradford). Happy days.

©2024 Curry Recipes