Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 137548 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 01:03 PM »
Ray, Chewy,

I have ordered the food mill posted by Paul, so as soon as i receive it i am on with Chewys base.

earlier in the thread Chewy you mentioned about chickens being used in the base. I have experimented with this idea by using knorr chicken stock pots in Rays base rather than boiling up a full carcass.

Like yourself i have been told that this is the big secret in BIR cooking.

Do you have any thoughts on whether this makes a difference or have you tried anything at home to replicate this process.

Regards

Alan ;D
Hi Alan

This base is easily flavoured to suit your taste. After the initial boil its basically onion water. whatever you add in the second boil, will give you that flavour!
I.e. If you add chicken/stock, you will taste chicken stock in the finished base.
This particular recipe is just a lightly spiced simple "neutral" base gravy.

e.g. If you add say, Bassar Powder instead of mixed powder, you will end up
with a Pakistani curry base, and all your final dishes will have that Pakistani background flavour .
Hope this makes sense :)
cheers Chewy

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 02:13 PM »
With the possibility of Chicken bones in those old style base gravy's I can well understand why they would sieve the cooked base.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Chewy,

Taking onboard what you said about the old BIR's boiling up chicken in the base, I added 1 kilo of chicken breast just after the 1 st boil but before the blend, gave it 15 mins, took out and diced........wonderful, moist flavoured chicken.

No need for me to do a seperate 'precooked' chicken step from now on.

Many thanks mukka ;D

Ray :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Chewy,

Taking onboard what you said about the old BIR's boiling up chicken in the base, I added 1 kilo of chicken breast just after the 1 st boil but before the blend, gave it 15 mins, took out and diced........wonderful, moist flavoured chicken.

No need for me to do a seperate 'precooked' chicken step from now on.

Many thanks mukka ;D

Ray :)
Hi Ray
Sounds good, did you notice any more flavour, in your finished base?

Did you ever get round to getting a pressure cooker, as it really speeds things up.
I broke my record yesterday, 4 litres of fresh base in 55 minutes ;D

cheers Chewy

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Ray,

good idea that mate, as you know i believe the chicken adds more depth to the bases. I have only used chicken stock up to now on the second simmer in your base purely because i believe stock is made up out of chicken carcass and then concentrated.

I am going to do Chewys base as specified then add the chicken stock next time around to see if it makes a difference to the overall finished dishes.

Alan ;D

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Chewy,

Just finished your base mate, it is looking good. I used the food mill Paul posted up and cant believe the amount of fibrous that is left behind.

I must admit the aroma coming from your base was the best that i have encountered. It really does smell the dogs bollocks.

This base is quite different from any other i have made on this forum apart from sieving aspect you also use twice the quantities of onions that is specified in any other base.

I also agree with Ray,s observation that putting whole onions in the pot brings out the natural sweetness in the onion.

I am using this base later in a curry and i am really looking forward to the finished result.

Thanks for sharing.

Alan ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:24 PM by moonster »

Offline m33sta

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 08:09 PM »
What does the scum consist off that you scrape off towards the end of the vid?

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Chewy,

Just finished the zeera madras curry, with your base and Ray's spice mix.

I have made the Zeera madras several times since you posted it, with the Taz base and have had good results.

It really has superseded my expectations, the sieving and skimming really does make a huge difference to the consistency and texture also it really brings out the flavour of the spices in the final dish.

My conclusion is that the sieving and skimming takes away any bitterness from the base and puts the spices at the forefront and would recommend that this procedure would improve most base sauces.

I am going to speculate a little bit and say that the reason sugar is included in some recipes that really shouldn't require it, is to try and disguise the bitterness from the process, of not skimming and sieving in the base.

Top notch mate

Alan ;D

Most importantly Mrs moony is raving about the dish
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:33 PM by moonster »

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 08:19 PM »
meesta,

Boiled chavs :o instead of chicken stock.

Alan ;D

Offline m33sta

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 08:36 PM »
meesta,

Boiled chavs :o instead of chicken stock.

Alan ;D

LOL cant stand those boiled chavs!

©2024 Curry Recipes