Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 137733 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the advice. One thing I've read to look out for with these food mills is whether the perforated plates are actually stainless steel or just normal steel that is chrome plated. On some of the cheaper ones the chrome plate starts to come off after a short time. They should be made of solid stainless steel.

It would be good to hear from both you and Ray on how they perform.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 08:08 PM »
I didnt realise that Paul, maybe it will be best to see what raymondo says.

Alan ;D

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 05:08 PM »

Hi Ray
The importance of the grinder, if your trying to emulate the curries of the 60/70/80's
in those days, every BIR and TA would have two or three whole chickens boiling away in the curry base brew!

They would fish out the overcooked chicken at the end, literally falling apart, leaving lots of bits and pieces behind.
Once put through the grinder the base was ready to go!  This was a real "curry secret" which meant all the vegetarian's of the time weren't, if they liked a good curry that is!)

cheers chewy
[/quote]

VINDICATED AT LAST!!!!!

I've mentioned this before on here: I've been using home made Chicken stock in my bases for years now, which is effectively what the above process achieves: I would never go back to making base without it, it's completely inferior IMO.

I use chicken stock in place of some of the water in the base, made by simmering the remains of a roast chicken joint in a few pints of water, skiming the fat off the top and filtering out the crap.

If you havn't tried it PLEASE do, it makes a HUGE difference.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 07:20 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the advice. One thing I've read to look out for with these food mills is whether the perforated plates are actually stainless steel or just normal steel that is chrome plated. On some of the cheaper ones the chrome plate starts to come off after a short time. They should be made of solid stainless steel.

It would be good to hear from both you and Ray on how they perform.

Cheers,

Paul

PaulP, it's also the Grade of Stainless Steel that is used in the item,I have clearly marked ' Stainless Steel ' tools for cooking on the Barbeque and they are Rusting away nicely  >:(

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Stainless steel will rust if it has come into contact with mild steel.  Brillo pads are usually the main culprit.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Stainless steel will rust if it has come into contact with mild steel.  Brillo pads are usually the main culprit.

Hi Razor,my tool has never seen a Brillo pad  :o The amount of Chromium in the Stainless is what helps keep it Rust free,obviously not much in my 99p BBQ set  :-\ Stainless that has been Welded can Rust as the Chromium is destroyed with the Welding process.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 08:19 AM »
Correct! especially if it has been MIG welded.  SS really should be TIG.

Ray :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Hi Guy's,

Well, my food mill arrived yesterday morning.  At first, I was a little disappointed at the size of the thing (no comment required Mrs Razor...!)

However, I didn't need to be as the bowl itself held a good 750ml of base, so all was good.

So, turning it clockwise, I started to pass the base through the mill.  All the liquid passed, I was surprised/disappointed not to see any fibrous matter left in the bottom of the mill?  I ladled another 750 ml into the mill and passed it through the mill.  Again, nothing.  I took the mill off the pan and checked the passed base.  It was incredibly smooth, and as it should be.

I put the mill back over the pan, still baffled as to where the 'gunk' was?  I then turned the handle anti-clockwise and bingo, there it was, at least a good chefspoon of the stuff appeared.

So it works.  Is it any less of a faff than passing through a sieve? probably not but it does look the business when your frantically turning away.

I can really imagine how invaluable it would have been back in the Old School BIR kitchen, especially in ensuring none of the chicken bits got through.

Glad I bought it because I got it for a song, but is it essential to the home BIR cook? no, not really, sieving does the job adequately.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Razor,what do you think are the benefits of adding the White Cabbage.

ATB  ;)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2011, 12:49 PM »

Glad I bought it because I got it for a song, but is it essential to the home BIR cook? no, not really, sieving does the job adequately.

Hi Ray
Good report mate, an added bonus with your bargain, it will make perfect mash potato. :D
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes