Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 137595 times)

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2011, 04:44 PM »
I love this base and now use it all the time. I will also give the spice ball a crack after blending next time as I used to get good results in the past when adding spiced water to bases.
I am planning on getting a pressure cooker for the one hour base. Should be good to speedup the process!!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Hey Mads,

Glad to hear that you are also getting some good results with Chewy's base.  I also used this base as standard now, even dropping my own base in favour of this one.

As for the pressure cooker version, dya know what, I quite enjoy the lengthy cooking process.  Gives me time to get everything else ready whilst the base is brewing.

How suprised was you with the 'gunk' left behind after the sieving?  I know I was amazed.

Ray :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Chewy,I like to make around 5 - 6 litres of Base at a time would I just double up on this Recipe ?

Cheers  ;)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2011, 12:50 AM »
Chewy,I like to make around 5 - 6 litres of Base at a time would I just double up on this Recipe ?

Cheers  ;)
Hi emin-j
I wouldn't say double, just add another kilo of onions, and maybe bit more veg
keep the same oil, G&G, coriander, salt, mixed powder, tomato puree.
Once blended and thinned, should give you 5-6 litres no problem.
cheers

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2011, 01:15 AM »
Ray,

I totally agree with yourself with regards to the quality of this base sauce and that it would compliment most if not all recipes.

Like yourself the foodmill is not an essential tool to BIR, but i feel the process benefits the gravy.

I must admit i wouldnt of tryed this base if chewy had not posted the 3 hour version, purely and simply i like the longer process, just because it feels right!!

Abdul now has posted a gravy with no G or G which i made the other day, which again produced an outstanding curry.

Help, when is the confusion going to end ;D

alan ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Hi lads
Glad this base/method is working for you.
I must say it's great to communicate with people with the same level of passion
for cooking a good curry.

You will probably agree, that cooking a new batch of base, becomes a kind of pleasurable ritual, quite unlike cooking anything else.

The pressure cooker, is a great tool if you need to speed things up, the initial boil in this recipe, will only take 30minutes under pressure
and there is also the theory that the goodness is locked in, which if correct, just adds to the finished base.

This is a bit random but -
I was just thinking, there must be at least 10.000 BIR kitchens in the UK
all boiling up a batch curry base daily, with no exact ingredients and no fixed recipes and probably an array of slightly different techniques.
So at least 10.000 different curry bases a day, and probably none of them documented into a recipe.
The only sure thing is, that's a hell of a lot of onions.
Cheers Chewy

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2011, 01:21 PM »

Cheers  ;)
Hi emin-j
I wouldn't say double, just add another kilo of onions, and maybe bit more veg
keep the same oil, G&G, coriander, salt, mixed powder, tomato puree.
Once blended and thinned, should give you 5-6 litres no problem.
cheers

Thanks' Chewy I'll give that a go next time  ;)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2011, 02:11 PM »
This is a bit random but -
I was just thinking, there must be at least 10.000 BIR kitchens in the UK
all boiling up a batch curry base daily, with no exact ingredients and no fixed recipes and probably an array of slightly different techniques.
So at least 10.000 different curry bases a day, and probably none of them documented into a recipe.
The only sure thing is, that's a hell of a lot of onions.
Cheers Chewy

From all the accolades i will definitely make this the next base i cook :).  All reports so far suggest  excellent results. Well done Chewy and thanks for posting the 3 hour version.  Another great vid by the way.
Another random thought, criminal I know, how would we cope if there was an onion shortage or a severe hike in the price of the big white gems :o

Offline imustbedreamin

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2011, 02:22 PM »
after finishing off my current batch of base last night (with a rather nice chicken madras ;)) i thought i would give Mr Chewy "Friday night is curry night" Tikkas base a whirl.

i am currently in the final satges of the process as all looks good. the sieving process is inspired and i was amazed at the amount of fiberous muck i was left with.

i will report back with my findings after my first curry with this fine looking base......i cant wait.

cheers chewy :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Hi,

I'm going to make this base tomorrow morning. Does anybody know if it will fit in a 4.5 litre stock pan? I've got a bigger pan if I need to use it.

Cheers,

Paul

©2024 Curry Recipes