Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 136625 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2011, 02:05 PM »
Hi,

I'm going to make this base tomorrow morning. Does anybody know if it will fit in a 4.5 litre stock pan? I've got a bigger pan if I need to use it.

Cheers,

Paul
Hi Paul
Yes, your pan should be good, the one in the video is only a 4litre pressure cooker.
Transferring to your bigger pan and adding water for the final boil, should be Ideal.
cheers Chewy

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2011, 03:23 PM »
Thanks Chewy, I'll report back after my Saturday night curry evening.

Paul  :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I made the base on Saturday morning to spec. The onions were cooked whole and I did the straining just using a sieve.

There is definitely a difference in onion taste using this method and the base tasted nice enough.

For Saturday night I made a butter chicken, balti chicken and a lamb madras.

All the food went down a storm and the compliments were flowing so a great result.

Thanks Chewytikka, I'm already looking forward to cooking with this one again.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Hi chewy

With this base getting so many great reviews I'm going to make a batch this week just one question i know it says 3 litres of water but how much of this goes in at the start do you keep some back until the end to get the right consistency?

Jamie

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2011, 04:20 PM »
I made the base on Saturday morning to spec. The onions were cooked whole and I did the straining just using a sieve.

There is definitely a difference in onion taste using this method and the base tasted nice enough.

For Saturday night I made a butter chicken, balti chicken and a lamb madras.

All the food went down a storm and the compliments were flowing so a great result.

Thanks Chewytikka, I'm already looking forward to cooking with this one again.

Great feedback Paul, Thanks :D
Glad you took the time to try it and you got a good result.
Have you posted your final dish recipes before, as I would
be interested in how you do your Balti Chicken. ;)
cheers Chewy

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Hi chewy

With this base getting so many great reviews I'm going to make a batch this week just one question i know it says 3 litres of water but how much of this goes in at the start do you keep some back until the end to get the right consistency?

Jamie
Hi jamie
3 litres all in at the start, for the first boil.
Then just add more water after you've blended it, to get a passata sauce type consistency
or thinner if you like.
cheers Chewy

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Hi chewy

cheers for that i have a week off next week so ill give it a crack

Jamie

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Hi Chewy,

The balti chicken was from the Authentic Balti Cookbook but I substituted two thirds of the balti base sauce with your base sauce. I did this to tone down the overbearing flavour of mace and cassia from the balti base and it seemed to work well.

The butter chicken recipe is from the other forum so I'm not going to post it here. It was from a member called ferret. Very nice too!

For the lamb madras I followed your madras sauce recipe including the lemon dressing and a touch of Worcester sauce. I used leg of lamb chopped up and briefly fried before cooking for 5 hours in my slow cooker with enough base sauce to keep it moist.
The lamb was very tender, you could have eaten it with no teeth.

ATB

Paul

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2011, 05:51 PM »

The butter chicken recipe is from the other forum so I'm not going to post it here. It was from a member called ferret. Very nice too!
Paul

I don't know about this other forum Paul, any chance that you could enlighten me???
Or is it a Taboo ::)

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Hi Chewy,

The balti chicken was from the Authentic Balti Cookbook but I substituted two thirds of the balti base sauce with your base sauce. I did this to tone down the overbearing flavour of mace and cassia from the balti base and it seemed to work well.

For the lamb madras I followed your madras sauce recipe including the lemon dressing and a touch of Worcester sauce. I used leg of lamb chopped up and briefly fried before cooking for 5 hours in my slow cooker with enough base sauce to keep it moist.
The lamb was very tender, you could have eaten it with no teeth.

ATB

Paul
Thanks Paul
I'll have to check these out.
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes