Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 136661 times)

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Made this yesterday (for the second time) and it really is a nice base. As others have mentioned, it produces a lovely, natural sweetness.

One question though, how long did you cook to get the onions to turn that colour? Obviously this is a '3 hour base' but not sure it that relates to the total time or just the initial cooking of the onions, et cetera. I think I cooked for roughly 3 hours and my onions, although soft, did not turn that colour. Perhaps I was not aggressive enough with the heat.

Made Razor's Rogan Josh with it: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5950.msg59322#msg59322

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Made this yesterday (for the second time) and it really is a nice base. As others have mentioned, it produces a lovely, natural sweetness.

One question though, how long did you cook to get the onions to turn that colour? Obviously this is a '3 hour base' but not sure it that relates to the total time or just the initial cooking of the onions, et cetera. I think I cooked for roughly 3 hours and my onions, although soft, did not turn that colour. Perhaps I was not aggressive enough with the heat.

Made Razor's Rogan Josh with it: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5950.msg59322#msg59322

Ramirez , Made this Base for the first time yesterday, cooked all veg for about 1.25 Hours, the Onions did turn colour very slightly but not by much.
I put a pointed knife into the Onions which passed through so I took it that they were cooked through , nice Aroma when cooking compared to some Base's I have made but did find it very thick in consistency even putting enough water in to make it up to almost 5ltrs it is still on the thick side.
Having the family around Tomorrow evening for a big Indian nosh up hopefully I'll do chewy proud with his Base  :D

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Thanks emin-j.

Do you think the base tasted sweeter than other bases you've tried?

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2011, 02:49 PM »

One question though, how long did you cook to get the onions to turn that colour? Obviously this is a '3 hour base' but not sure it that relates to the total time or just the initial cooking of the onions, et cetera. Could you clarify? I think I cooked for roughly 3 hours and my onions, although soft, did not turn that colour. Perhaps I was not aggressive enough with the heat.

Chewy - not sure if you've seen the above question or not.  :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2011, 03:31 PM »

One question though, how long did you cook to get the onions to turn that colour? Obviously this is a '3 hour base' but not sure it that relates to the total time or just the initial cooking of the onions, et cetera. Could you clarify? I think I cooked for roughly 3 hours and my onions, although soft, did not turn that colour. Perhaps I was not aggressive enough with the heat.

Chewy - not sure if you've seen the above question or not.  :)

Hi Ramirez
Sorry I missed it. This is a duplicate answer, on Ray's Thread

It took me 3 hours in total, one lazy Saturday afternoon in March.

The first video I did, only took 1hour in total, and was not as sweet.(pressure cook 30mins)
If I want a really sweet base I leave the onions whole (pressure cook 30mins)

The point people may seem to be missing, is that there should be 90% onion in any base recipe.
The more onions the better/sweeter! If your want to mimic what they do in all BIR/TA's I know and probably in your local,
Boill them whole. @100 degrees!

Here's some random poor quality phone snaps
one with the foodmill in action

cheers Chewy

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2011, 12:31 AM »

When i was having a BIR meal with family last week i sure seen one heck of a
onion mountain (whole onions) out of the large pot on the
stove and topped with garlic and ginger, spice mix etc
ready for cooking down.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:25 PM by Graeme »

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2011, 07:22 AM »
Made this base yesterday and it certainly is very good ;D.Created a nice smooth sauce, that I used in CA's Chicken Korma.
For the spices, I used Dipurajas mix powder recipe, and added 1.5 teaspoons of chilli powder.
Looking forward to making a 'Proper' curry(i.e. one with a bit of heat in it! :o lol)with it.

I intend to make CA's base over the next week, then will use both bases to make identicle curries, and decide which, I believe, is the best.

Here some pics of my efforts.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:44 AM by madmatt »

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2011, 07:27 AM »
More pics :)

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2011, 07:30 AM »
Last set of pics showing, 1) the completed base, 2 and 3, the Korma(Cory Anders Recipe);D

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Nice one Matt - good pics. Let us know how you get on with the comparison.

©2024 Curry Recipes