Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 136619 times)

Offline Fantastic Curry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Thanks for all the feeback guys. I think I probably did slightly burn the garlic and ginger, when making the curry. Also, feel like I didn't use enough oil. Have some base left, so I'll give it another go using much more oil and
being very careful not to burn anything.

Cheers

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2011, 10:06 PM »
Good luck with it FC.  Let us know how you get on :D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:29 PM by curryhell »

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2011, 08:41 PM »
made this superb base again and thought I'd take some pics.
only difference to chewys was I added some Chalice hot curry oil.
this was maybe why it turned out a slightly darker colour.
cooked Curry2go madras with this and it turned out not too bad.
didn't notice any significant improvement with the Chalice oil added because twas the first time I'd cooked it.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Chewy,

Was these food mills used in place of a blender  or food processor?

Ray :)
Hi Ray
Before and as well as the big power blenders, just the final step for the sauce.
I mentioned it in my first post on cr0, which I referred to it as a grinder.

(Grinding or passing it through a sieve gathers all the unwanted pulp, onion fibres/skin, pips and seeds etc. leaving you with the smooth BIR textured sauce.

The importance of the grinder, if your trying to emulate the curries of the 60/70/80's
in those days, every BIR and TA would have two or three whole chickens boiling away in the curry base brew!

They would fish out the overcooked chicken at the end, literally falling apart, leaving lots of bits and pieces behind.
Once put through the grinder the base was ready to go!  This was a real "curry secret" which meant all the vegetarian's of the time weren't, if they liked a good curry that is!)

cheers chewy
If you remember chewy they use to use boilers /old chickens thats how a leg looked a strange shape.the first I tasted
was in1967 THE TAJ MAHAL Pakistanis then

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Hi Mojo
Looking good, glad your your having a result with the base.
I've just done another Madras video, you might like to check out.

Ifindfyou
Spot on with Boiler Chickens, Terry.
I remember, they were slightly too big for the foil containers
and the Chef or the server trying to get it to fit or sometimes just putting the lid on
and leaving the bone sticking out of one end.
The good old days, lol. ;D

cheers Chewy

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2011, 12:54 PM »
Chewytikka,

stumbled on this from infindforu's base comment about yours.

well pleased to find someone else taking the scum off. i kept the scum on for long time knowing in my head it was wrong to do so. for a good while now i take it off as soon as the base comes back to the simmer after blending - there's a window if you keep stirring to stop the oil surfacing which allows it to be removed.

on fellow chummy chilli head's base he uses colander. it's something i've never got round to trying. i do a thorough job on the blending - in fact the good lady has cotterned on and i get all the blending jobs.

loved the music too

best wishes,

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2012, 06:00 PM »
In 2011 I have tried spiced oil, bhaji oil, different spice mix, stock from chicken bones, spiced water and loads and loads of base sauce recipes. I have had some successes and many failures but I have had a good time and have learnt so much from trying new techniques etc. Although my curries have been pretty good and are better than some of the takeaways in my area I think I am in need of some solid practice so I decided to go back and use Chewys 3 Hour base which although I have only made once I had fond memories of.

After knocking up a batch of this sauce (along with Chewys spice mix) it made me realise just how bloody good this base really is. I made my usual Madras but now used my newly purchased splatter guard which allowed me to let the sauce caramelize on a high heat without fear of making a fine mess ? I was happy with the result and my Mrs even more so!! In the past I have been so conscious of mess that I did not want the sauce to splatter that I have constantly stirred the mixture thus not letting the spices cook properly.

It was by far the best Madras I have made partly down to the excellent base and partly to the techniques I have recently picked up from Chewys, Julianss and CBMs videos. I went on to knock up a perfect Korma and a Chilli Chicken Masala both from Micks book/video. The Chilli Chicken Masala was a bang on 100% replicate of one made by my favourite restaurant and have not seen anything like it on this site. All three curries sat nicely in my new Curry Station which I was well chuffed with. http://www.jean-patrique.co.uk/629/product_detail.html

Anyway, I am going to get my head down this year and stick to using this base rather than trying out anything new or different and will concentrate on improving my technique.

Best of luck for 2012

Nick

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2012, 06:36 PM »
In 2011 I have tried spiced oil, bhaji oil, different spice mix, stock from chicken bones, spiced water and loads and loads of base sauce recipes. I have had some successes and many failures but I have had a good time and have learnt so much from trying new techniques etc. Although my curries have been pretty good and are better than some of the takeaways in my area I think I am in need of some solid practice so I decided to go back and use Chewys 3 Hour base which although I have only made once I had fond memories of.

After knocking up a batch of this sauce (along with Chewys spice mix) it made me realise just how bloody good this base really is. I made my usual Madras but now used my newly purchased splatter guard which allowed me to let the sauce caramelize on a high heat without fear of making a fine mess ? I was happy with the result and my Mrs even more so!! In the past I have been so conscious of mess that I did not want the sauce to splatter that I have constantly stirred the mixture thus not letting the spices cook properly.

It was by far the best Madras I have made partly down to the excellent base and partly to the techniques I have recently picked up from Chewys, Julianss and CBMs videos. I went on to knock up a perfect Korma and a Chilli Chicken Masala both from Micks book/video. The Chilli Chicken Masala was a bang on 100% replicate of one made by my favourite restaurant and have not seen anything like it on this site. All three curries sat nicely in my new Curry Station which I was well chuffed with. http://www.jean-patrique.co.uk/629/product_detail.html

Anyway, I am going to get my head down this year and stick to using this base rather than trying out anything new or different and will concentrate on improving my technique.

Best of luck for 2012

Nick

I am thinking along the same lines as yourself Nick,  just trying to finalise which base i am going to work with mostly this year (CT's is in contention) although i intend to play with it in an attempt to get it close to that of my local BIR.  Am also in the process of finalising which mixed powder i intend to use as well.  I too got a new spatter guard.  Posted a pic of mine
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7616.0

A little gem from Ikea.  Works an absolute gem.  I won't hijak the thread anymore as i need to do a cook off to assess the use of jalpur garam masala vs anyother and what difference it may make a madras.  Best of luck in 2012

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17 AM »
Chewy,
I know this is a long shot, But you are the only guy that I think may have one,
A recipe for a 60s/70s/80s Base, Please say you have one :'( And could you post the recipe,, If not, some idea of ingredients whould give me somewhere to start from,  Don't go a lot on the new base's, to many veggies in there for me, Plus I hate coriander(the herb) with a passion ;) I'm using the Admin base at the moment but I think it needs a twek or two

Les
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:30 AM by hotstuff09 »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2012, 11:49 AM »
Hi HS,

Not wanting to answer on CT's behalf but I assumed that this base WAS at least a 70's/80's base that Chewy has been using since said dates?

You could try my base, not suggesting that it is a 60/70/80's style base but as you have been using Admins Bradford  base, apparently mine is similar but preferred by at least one member that has tried both;

Quote from Domi on June 19, 2010
I used admins base for madras/vindaloos mainly but it didn't work as well with other recipes IMO. I've used SnS's base but I wasn't overly impressed with that, I found it to be a bit weak and by far preferred Ca's base up to trying Razor's. I had 4/5 bases on my to do list before trying this one and since using this one I haven't wanted to try the others as I'm extremely happy with the results I've had (I've made it six or seven times and never had a curry that wasn't top notch, regardless of recipe used in conjunction with it) - I even made a vindaloo/korma cross dish that was beautiful but I can't remember what I did as I'd been on the Magners lol.

It's become my fave base so far - I've not even made Admin's base since I've been using Razor's

Don't worry about the lack of oil either...I've had a good yield of oil over every dish so far (I add around 3 tblsp to start my final dish and I don't reclaim, just stir it in).

Now, it does contain coriander stalks but you could leave them out I suppose? Anyway, here it is; http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4596.0

Ray :)

p.s, Apologies to Chewy for advertising my base on your base recipe mate, no offence intended :)

©2024 Curry Recipes