Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 137636 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2012, 12:34 PM »
Hi HS,

Not wanting to answer on CT's behalf but I assumed that this base WAS at least a 70's/80's base that Chewy has been using since said dates?

You could try my base, not suggesting that it is a 60/70/80's style base but as you have been using Admins Bradford  base, apparently mine is similar but preferred by at least one member that has tried both

it does contain coriander stalks but you could leave them out I suppose? Anyway, here it is; http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4596.0

Ray :)

p.s, Apologies to Chewy for advertising my base on your base recipe mate, no offence intended :)

Thanks for that one Ray, And if It's good enough for Domi, It's good enough for me,
Next time I make a new batch will give your's a shot, (Leave out the coriander stalks......Hell yes)
There is so many Bases on here I totally missed your's, Had I seen it before I woukd have tried it as there is none of them there veggies ;) Just as a by the by, You where talking about the aniseed after tone in some curry's in another thread, Well sat we had a curry from a new T/A in town which also had this aniseed back note to it, I said to one of my son's that It tasted like Chinese 5 spice, and he said NO, It tastes more like Allspice, what you recon, Could it be Allspice in the spice mix or garam masala?  Just a thought

Les

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Whoa, whats going on here, I'm sure our moderator will think this illegal Ray
poaching my base recipe customers like this, is nothing secred on cR0. lol ;D ;D ;D

To make my (Enhanced 70's Base), at the start Skin and wash a Chicken leg quarter and add it to the pot
with 2 Tej Patta Leaves and 1 finger length stick of Cassia Bark plus a couple of green finger chillis.
Boil as instructed and fish out the extra before you blend.

cheers ChewyBhunao

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Whoa, whats going on here, I'm sure our moderator will think this illegal Ray
poaching my base recipe customers like this, is nothing secred on cR0. lol ;D ;D ;D

To make my (Enhanced 70's Base), at the start Skin and wash a Chicken leg quarter and add it to the pot
with 2 Tej Patta Leaves and 1 finger length stick of Cassia Bark plus a couple of green finger chillis.
Boil as instructed and fish out the extra before you blend.

cheers ChewyBhunao

Thanks Chewy
Get you, "Enhanced" base now is it ;)
I got the adding bit,
But just which base are we talking about here, I'm a bit confused (or have I just lost the plot ::))

Les

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2012, 03:18 PM »

Thanks Chewy
I got the adding bit,
But just which base are we talking about here, I'm a bit confused (or have I just lost the plot ::))

Les
[/quote]

Probably both HS ;D
My base mate

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2012, 03:25 PM »
Thanks Chewy,

Les (Having a senior moment :D)
PS
Did they really use all them veggies in the base during the 70s?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:52 PM by hotstuff09 »

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Hi,

I ran out of my CA base today so gave this a go and made your Madras too (not cooked for a while), worked out really good.

thanks

Will

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2012, 08:16 PM »
I've just finished making this.  :)

I haven't made a large quantity of base for ages now. These days I just make a couple of litres at a time, with the usual suspects as ingredients. But I made Chewy's full quantity of base last year, and thought it was great. I want to try some of Chewy's dishes - that's me branching out at last after 10 years of just cooking vindaloo and madras - so I decided to make up his full base again to use with them.

Here's my effort, resting after the final simmer with the scum spooned off. The pan is from a pressure cooker, but unfortunately I don't have the top part, as this was given to me after the rest of it fell to bits.  :-\

Now I'm off to cook Chewy's madras. I need to build myself up for taking the plunge with his Jalfrezi, which I'll try later in the week.  :)

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Wow, that looks the business and exactly the way it should, curry on mate. ;D

Nice to know your going to follow through, making the base and final curry recipes. ;)
cheers Chewy

Offline Temesta

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2012, 06:53 PM »
This is the first time I tried this base and I'm very happy with the result. Great recipe!
I did a slight modification and added a piece of lamb bone (+-20cm) while cooking. This
adds a lot of extra flavour to the end result. Try it if you are planning to
make lamb curries. However, don't add more than 1 bone of +-20cm or the taste of
meat/lamb might be to powerful. A small bone adds a lot of depth in terms of flavour.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2012, 07:19 PM »
This is the first time I tried this base and I'm very happy with the result. Great recipe!
I did a slight modification and added a piece of lamb bone (+-20cm) while cooking. This
adds a lot of extra flavour to the end result. Try it if you are planning to
make lamb curries.

That certainly accords with my recollections of good BIRs of the late sixties and early seventies.  In those days, one sure way of telling the good from the not-so-good was that in the good BIRs, the sauce with a lamb curry (any variant) had a distinctly lamb-ey flavour, whilst the not-so-good simply had a generic curry flavour.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:35 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

©2024 Curry Recipes