Author Topic: 3 Hour Curry Base  (Read 136636 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Hour Curry Base
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Made chewy's base sat night pretty much to spec, everything went bloody excellently.

I take it Harley, you're pleased with your results then? ;D ;D ;D   
Cheshire cat and a dog with two tails springs to mind ::) - a very satisfying feeling indeed  :)
I think the pics say it all in terms of appearance and the family critique confirms you did a blinding job of the base and the madras.  As for the "freshness", some say a base improves after a day, but we won't go into that.
Another notch of Chewy's chef spoon I think ;D
All power to the forum!!!
Keep us updated on any more developments ;)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2012, 12:04 PM »
The review is very positive indeed; I am beginning to think I must give this one a try.
** Phil.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2012, 02:18 PM »
The review is very positive indeed; I am beginning to think I must give this one a try.
** Phil.

Indeed you must, Phil! This has been my default Madras recipe since I discovered it here almost a year ago, and I can only echo Harley's comments.

I've found that it works with any decent base, and while it's excellent as it is, the depth of flavour is further enhanced by the addition of a tablespoon of good bunjarra. In fact, it is this Madras recipe and bunjarra combination that gave me one of those 'eureka' moments in my lifelong quest (well, since 1981/2) to recreate the Glasgow experience.

Here's how it turns out (sauce only) for me:

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Yes very pleased, grinning from ear to ear. I'm under pressure to deliver it again for the family next time lol but have the urge to increase the heat and get it a bit richer.

Some other points whether they're important its too early but I got some quality madras curry powder, not to be confused with british madras invention, I'm sure most of you know though. Also after watching the Indian chef many times being able to leave it bubbling away at high heat in the final third for 3-4 minutes, I was able to do the same thing, getting the evaporation of the base and reducing down really well. Seemed like the base came through. The ally pan I bought recently from dadibhais is very good. When doing the scooping in technique I was half expecting to have burnt some but it was crackling away underneath. Seemed to fuse together just like I've watched many times at the takeaway. No bitterness in the final curry.

Base is probably the key, when cooking it I could tell from the aroma.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:32 PM by harley »

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 18, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Getting good results is about a combination of things being right and them all coming together.  Quality ingredients, a good base and a  good technique. Oh, and i forgot the all important thing - PRACTICE  ;D

A very nice looking sauce there SD. 

Talking of practice, I can feel a vindaloo coming on with some freshly chopped green chillis just for a change ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2012, 05:23 PM »
I got some quality madras curry powder

Could you let us know which ?  I am alternating between Bolst's and Rajah at the moment, but would not be averse to trying a third ...
And to el senor Dhali : any particular bunjarra recipe you recommend ?

** Phil.

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Curry powder is Natco as is the Cumin and Coriander
Tumeric is East End
Garam Masala is TRS

I too would like to know the bunjarra please Salvador.

I plan to either get some ground star anise or grind some myself and try some black pepper and fenugreek powder. Fenugreek in past experiences seems to add some kind of smokey or charred something but not quite. I only used it when starting this endeavor a few years ago to substitute fenugreek leaves and definitely miss it when not used so will be interesting to try it later.

Just another comment last night from my sister was how you could easily put this sauce in a cup and drink it like you could from a TA/BIR it was that good. I was chuffed to bits.

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Not sure about posting this pic, but wanted to show how beginning to end its really on the money to me in look taste and consistency.  The final mouthful is just the same as the takeaways and restaurants, you know when its cooled down but still nice to eat and liquidy/glidey.

Sorry if the pic is a bit gross or hard to determine.

Found that 3/4 fresh cut bird eye chillies added at the start of cooking along with the tbsp of deggi mirch as per is really up there with how my TA does it in heat. Absolutely buzzing now after that madras hit, taking me back to many days of past takeaway curries.

Thanks again chaps. So happy to have curry on tap now.

Question to chewy and others, if I double the onion count for the base to around 4kilo, what scale would the rest need to be? esp how much water. I read chewytikka's reply somewhere saying keep the rest the same I think, but wouldn't it need a bit more scaling up on the other bits? I've got a 11l ally pot so want to utilize it and save doing more bases. Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:46 PM by harley »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Brilliant pic! I keep meaning to take photos more when I'm cooking put end up preoccupied. At the end of the evening this is what I'm left with. Lovely looking stuff.

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Thanks fried. Glad it comes across.

The ending is so right and familiar I needed to show as I feel its very important. If the ending isn't there is not a replica.

©2024 Curry Recipes