Author Topic: Noobie alert..  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Noobie alert..
« on: March 19, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Hi guys n gals, new curry maker here wanting to say hello and big up this web forum.
I have never made a curry from scratch before, but today I took the plunge and made a base sauce and a balti that isnt quite a balti lol

I made up the Kushi balti base sauce....

Then followed the recipe from Authentic Balti Curry cookbook.

It may have been down to some of my ingredients not being quite right, but it certainly didnt turn out to be a balti as I know it, none the less it tastes superb..

Now I have a load of base to play with, i'll try some other recipes.

Thanks for all the post's I have read, pics I have viewed and vids watched...
Keep up the good work.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Noobie alert..
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:28 PM »
well done and enjoy this great site

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  :)

It looks edible to me, good work.

I've recently done tests on the ABC, the results of which I posted in the pic's section. I also made some dishes with the Kushi Base and Spice Mix that are not in the book that you might be interested in to.

Cheers for now. :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 09:35 PM »
welcome Geezah, I've never made that base before so thanks for posting your pics.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 09:40 PM »
welcome Geezah, I've never made that base before so thanks for posting your pics.

A word of warning would be to go lite on the Cassia bark.
I took a 6" rolled up tube of bark and broke it up for my spice bag - 6 x 1" pieces - I would maybe 1/2 that amount next time.

Thanks for the welcoms.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 09:45 PM »
A word of warning would be to go lite on the Cassia bark.
I took a 6" rolled up tube of bark and broke it up for my spice bag - 6 x 1" pieces - I would maybe 1/2 that amount next time.

I recently found out (It's on their website) that the book was updated. I noticed that the picture in the book doesn't show Cassia in the base recipe but cinnamon. This was the original recipe, I guess something got lost in the translation to it becoming Cassia Bark.  :-\

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 10:35 PM »
I would say cinnamon is stronger than cassia bark and therefore might be used even more sparingly?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 11:00 PM »
Cinnamon definitely has a 'fresher' taste and smell, I will admit. I think the real problem lies in how to portion Cassia.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Cinnamon definitely has a 'fresher' taste and smell, I will admit. I think the real problem lies in how to portion Cassia.

Definately.
There is an underlying taste that I can only put down to the Cassia that is a little too predominant for my liking.
A good dollop of tomato ketchup in the curry helped sort it out though, I think the vinegar element helped mask the overpowering flavour.
After eating the curry though, I get the mouth full of different aftertastes which i get with a take away, so i'm certainly on the right track :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:26 AM »
There is an underlying taste that I can only put down to the Cassia that is a little too predominant for my liking.

I'm with you on that Geezah, I'm not keen on that flavour either, I find it almost medicinal to my taste buds.

©2024 Curry Recipes