Author Topic: Lamb tikka?  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lamb tikka?
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Hi All, I'm needing help, lamb tikka at the moment is my latest battle to get right!!
i done lamb tikka a few times now and it always comes out chewy which is not like melt in mouth i get from tandoori house down the road..

I have been you using blades recipe[with yogurt] but instead of chicken of course Ive been using lamb [diced lamb from asda]

i marinade overnight or a least 18 hrs, skewer and cook in my tandoor but I'm always disappointed  ???

what are my options now? marinade longer? precook the lamb then marinade then finish off in the tandoori oven?
mmmm not sure what to do next on this one any thoughts appreciated. UB.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb tikka?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Axe is experimenting with tenderising lamb as I write; give him a chance to report back, and you may well get the insights you need !  In the meantime, you might consider tenderising with pineapple and/or tamarind juice.

** Phil.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Thanks Phil,
tenderizing with pineapple
will the tikka taste of pineapple?

or tamarind juice
Whats tamarind juice?

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Ah i guess you mean this

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Or this.  I'm afraid I have no first-hand knowledge of whether tenderising with pineapple juice will result in the lamb tasting of pineapple; it is certainly a risk.  Maybe tamarind is safer for tikka, pineapple for lamb dhansak.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:39 PM »
I use blades recipe for chicken tikka and use Farmfoods frozen leg of lamb and marinade for 24 hours dont forget to stab and slice the meat all over and then cook on a low heat for about 5-6 hours marinading as you go i put my lamb on the lowest shelf in my oven.
Made this a few times now always comes out melt in your mouth, next time i do it i will post pictures.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Sorry forgot to add when marinading the meat make sure you get your fingers into the stab holes. And i use milk instead of yoghurt or water. Hope that helps a bit.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:58 PM »
As Phil mentions, I have started tests on tenderising lamb which are very much in their infancy. However, I can add that if you go along the route of using acids, such as citric acid from fruits (lemon, pineapple, papaya, etc.) and vinegars, you should not marinade the meat any longer than 3 hours, as they they will start to digest the meat rather than break down the collagen.

I have done a test on leg meat using Lemon juice, Garlic & Ginger Paste and Worcestershire Sauce mixed togther and thoroughly rubbed in. The result was ok but there is room for improvement. I will say that the Lemon was quite noticeable. I am formulating the next test, whilst awaiting for my delivery of Neck Fillet this week.

UF mentions a process that is important, which is 'stabbing' the meat, this has two functions: It enables you to massage the marinade deep within the meat but also helps to break down the meat fibres. I am  currently using a fork to do this, but a filleting knife would be adequate.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 12:28 AM »
Not sure if I am being over simplistic here but I tend to ensure the cuts of lamb are all of a similar size and not too big that they won't cook on a hot grill or barbecue. I reckon 10-15 minutes per side and they should be tender.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 11:14 AM »
Hi UB
in the Lassan recioe for tandoori chicken, I seem to remember the chicken is par boiled before marinating.
Perhaps thats the answer

©2024 Curry Recipes