Author Topic: Hello! There's more to this than I imagined!  (Read 22494 times)

Offline ootini

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello! There's more to this than I imagined!
« on: March 30, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Hey all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, my names Dave, im 30 and from North Wales. I gotta say, having a quick read through some of the recipes it's become apparent there's a whole lot more to cooking a curry than I had ever dreamed!
I've actually jumped on the forum as I'm meant to be cook for the family on Saturday and fancied trying out a few curry recipes. So stay tuned! I may be asking some very stupid questions shortly!

Anyway, hope to chat to you all soon.

Dave

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello! There's more to this than I imagined!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum Dave. :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Hi Dave & welcome. 

I agree it can be daunting at first and there's a lot of gearing up to be done in terms of obtaining spices, cooking base sauces and pastes before you can even attempt some of the final dishes.  I reckon it's well worth it though as the quality of the end result is great but like I say, a lot of time involved.  This is why it becomes something of a hobby to some people.

Offline ootini

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:33 AM »
I've actually got a relatively impressive spice rack already. I've cooked quite a few curries in my time I've just never tried using base sauces. This may actually be a very handy method as this weekend I'm meant to be cooking four totally different curries to make a bit of a banquet.
The plan is a Beef Madras, Lamb Rogan Josh, Chicken Pasanda and Vegetable Dansak. Am I right in thinking that these curries are "so" different that you couldnt use the same base sauce for them all? As in the Madras and Pasanda are light years apart in terms of taste and heat.
Thanks

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:46 AM »
The general idea is that a single base is used as a foundation to every dish. The 'art' is in creating the dish at the final cook, where different ingredients, components and levels of spicing are added. There are of course exceptions to this, but it is the general practice.

I recently purchased the Authentic Balti Curry book and can recommend it as a good place to start, though it is based on balti. I did a basic review of my experiences with it: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5591.0

There are also plenty of good recipes on the forum.

Offline ootini

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Thanks very much for all your replies folks!

I reckon tonight I shall have a punt at making a base sauce then!  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 09:48 AM »
Welcome aboard, Dave.

The plan is a Beef Madras, Lamb Rogan Josh, Chicken Pasanda and Vegetable Dansak. Am I right in thinking that these curries are "so" different that you couldnt use the same base sauce for them all? As in the Madras and Pasanda are light years apart in terms of taste and heat.
IMHO, no, so long as you go for a simple base (such as KD1) the sole function of which is to create the correct consistency/texture for the final dish.  If you go for a more complex base that already involves a significant number of spices, then your options are probably more restricted.  As this is your first venture into base-based BIR cuisine, I would suggest starting with a simple base containing little more than onions, ginger, garlic, water, oil, tomato, and a minimum of spices; as you gain more experience, try some of the more complex bases, but don't forget to adjust the final spicing to suit.

** Phil.

Offline ootini

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Thanks very much, so I think I'm beginning to get my head round this.
How does this sound for a plan. This evening I'll make some of the KD1 base sauce you referred to. Then on Friday (or Saturday morning) I'll precook my chicken, beef, lamb and veg, not really found the methods yet but I'm browsing. Then come Saturday evening when the troops start getting hungry simply knock the four curries together using the base sauce, precooked meat/veg altering the spices and other ingredients to create the individual final curry dishes.
Does that sound right?

Offline ootini

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:56 AM »
I should point out I'm a bit of a preparation freak, so the whole base sauce, precooked meat thing really suits me!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 10:16 AM »
Here is a good place to start for your pre-cooked veg: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5537.msg54474#msg54474

Preparation is definitely the best way forward. Four dishes in one cook will be a challenge. I usually map out my ingredients for each dish on separate plates. For example Garlic & Ginger, Chopped Onions, then a salt, mix powder, etc Tomato Puree, Methi, Coriander, Then each section is added at intervals during the cook and as I have the planned dishes laid out, I cut down on any mistakes. Thats the theory anyway. ::)

©2024 Curry Recipes