Author Topic: Hello! There's more to this than I imagined!  (Read 22244 times)

Offline ootini

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hello! There's more to this than I imagined!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 10:22 AM »
I'm thinking you may be right about trying four in one go. Especially if I'm not trying to precook stuff for the first time.

I may reduce it to a Lamb Rogan Josh and Chicken Pasanda and ditch the other two. Hmmmm.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:37 AM »
What you have to remember is that in a BIR the 6-8mins it takes them to create the dish you have just ordered, also has hours and hours of preparation behind it to make it possible.

As long as you are prepared you should be ok, but you will almost certainly have to pre-cook your meat, veg, rice etc. if you want to put 4 mains on the table in a short period of time.

Offline ootini

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Ok so, please bear with me. I don't mean to be a pain but I'm just trying to get my head around whether I'd be capable of doing all this on Saturday. Can you just check the following plan for glaring errors.
Tonight I create the KD1 base sauce you mentioned. I keep about a pint of Stage 2 sauce for precooking the meat and go on to turn the rest into Stage 3 sauce (with toms etc).

Then on Friday, I use the pint of stage 2 sauce reserved to precook my vegetables, diced beef, cubed lamb neck fillet and cubed chicken fillet. This all goes in the fridge, joining the stage 3 sauce.

Then on saturday, I'll precook some pilau rice while preparing the four curries using the precooked meat, stage 3 sauce and each individual dishes "signature" ingredients lets say. Which off the top of my head will be chillis and tomato puree for the Madras, Paprika and tomatoes for the Rogan Josh, Almonds and coconut milk for the Pasanda and lemon juice, onions and lentils for the Dansak.

Apologies if I've got the "signature" ingredients wrong, thats just from the top of my head at the mo. I'll investigate them properly. Are BIR curries ok staying warm in dishes in an oven for ten minutes or so while you prepare each in turn? or do you basically have to work in parralel and get all four on the go at the same time? I'll have my ole man about to help so it would be possible to a certain extent.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 11:07 AM »
I haven't tried and am not familiar with the KD1 method and recipe, Phil is best placed to answer this for you. The pre-cooked meat & veg should be cooked and stored separately to the stage 3 base.

I would suggest you cook each dish one at a time, unless of course you feel confident to do so otherwise. They should be fine if covered and in a warm oven.

I'd recommend taking a look at some of the videos posted, to give you a better idea. This chap has been popular: http://www.youtube.com/user/dipuraja1

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Tonight I create the KD1 base sauce you mentioned. I keep about a pint of Stage 2 sauce for precooking the meat and go on to turn the rest into Stage 3 sauce (with toms etc).

Then on Friday, I use the pint of stage 2 sauce reserved to precook my vegetables, diced beef, cubed lamb neck fillet and cubed chicken fillet. This all goes in the fridge, joining the stage 3 sauce.
I would follow Axe's advice regards the pre-cooking of the vegetables : it produces superb results, IMHO, far better than you could achieve pre-cooking them in KD1 base plus turmeric and paprika alone.  As far as the meat goes, the chicken is the least critical : that will soak up the flavours during the final stage quite well; for lamb/mutton/goat, however, I would suggest trying to infuse some additional flavours during the pre-cook phase (which will need to be longer for lamb, and longer still for goat or mutton).  I've never made a beef curry (I'm a closet Hindu !) but I would probably err on the side of pre-infusing more flavour rather than less.

Then on saturday, I'll precook some pilau rice while preparing the four curries using the precooked meat, stage 3 sauce and each individual dishes "signature" ingredients lets say. Which off the top of my head will be chillis and tomato puree for the Madras, Paprika and tomatoes for the Rogan Josh, Almonds and coconut milk for the Pasanda and lemon juice, onions and lentils for the Dansak.

Apologies if I've got the "signature" ingredients wrong, thats just from the top of my head at the mo. I'll investigate them properly. Are BIR curries ok staying warm in dishes in an oven for ten minutes or so while you prepare each in turn?
Curries improve with keeping, so as long as the chicken does not overcook while you are keeping things warm, all should be well  :)

** Phil.

Offline ootini

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Thanks for your advice. I'm not panicing too much about the precooking as, with it being precooking, i can take my time over it etc... It's the final cook and combination im stressing over now.

I notice there isn't a section for Pasanda recipes? what's the reason for this? too simple? too boring?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I notice there isn't a section for Pasanda recipes? what's the reason for this? too simple? too boring?
Don't know !  There is one thread which focuses on Lamb Pasanda, but apart from the rather important point of warning the reader to be very wary concerning adding garam masala to any dish intended to be BIR-style in flavour, I don't think it tells you a great deal ...

** Philp.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 12:23 PM »
I have always thought that the main difference between the Pasanda and the Korma was the use of Yoghurt in the Pasanda instead of cream in the Korma? Since joining this site, I haven't looked at the Korma in any great detail and have never made a Pasanda.

What is it your mainly worried about in the final cook? As long as you map out what needs to be done and don't cook on too high a heat, you should be fine. Perhaps you just need to familiarise yourself with the technique and recipes a little more.

Did you have a look at the video link I posted? It's very helpful.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25 PM »
There is a recipe in the KD1 cookbook, Don't know what it's like though, never tried it, but as your using the KD1 base should be OK

Download here

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5587.0

If you can't get it I can post the recipe here for you if you want

What the Hell, I'll post it anyway ;D

Lamb Pasanda
The lamb for this dish will need to be prepared in advance as it requires marinating. Will serve three or four.
Preparation and cooking time: 35-40 minutes.
1 lb (450g) lean lamb
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yoghurt
4 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 pint (425ml or three cups) curry sauce (page 20)
1 teaspoon each, salt and paprika
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground cummin
1 tablespoon roughly chopped cashew nuts (optional)
4 tablespoon double cream
1 tablespoon finely chopped green coriander
Wash the meat and cut into slices about a 1/4 inch (0.5cm) thick and three inches (7.5cm) by two inches (5cm). Boil in salted water for 15 minutes until the meat is tender.
Mix the yoghurt and the salt in a bowl and put in the meat slices whilst still hot. Stir, coating the meat well and marinate for at least two hours or up to 24 hours.
Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan, pour in the sauce and bring it to the boil. Stir in the salt and paprika and cook on high heat for five minutes stirring frequently.
Now turn down the heat and stir in the garam masala, cummin, and nuts. Also add the meat, shaking off as much of the yoghurt as you can. Stir and simmer for five minutes or so.
Spoon off any oil and stir in the cream and half the coriander. Simmer for a minute.
Sprinkle the remaining coriander on top just before serving.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:53 PM by hotstuff09 »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40 PM »
The question marks in the previous message represent 1/2, 3/4 and 1/2 respectively.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes