Author Topic: KD1/PC (Kris Dhillon's original base modified for pressure cooking)  (Read 11022 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Dedicated to Kris Dhillon and her The Curry Secret, Copyright (C) Kris Dhillon 1989, without whom this recipe could never have been created and on which this recipe is based.

How To Make The Curry Sauce

For approximately five generous main course dishes, each sufficient for two.
Preparation and cooking time: 2 hr 30 minutes approx.

Ingredients

• 2 lb medium white onions
  • 2 oz green ginger
  • 2 oz garlic
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 red pepper
  • 3 pints water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 8 oz peeled plum tomatoes
  • 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon tomato pur

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks all,Im gonna have a blast using Kris Dhillons base and also one using powder,get Er indoors to sample and give me an honest opinion.
   Cheers Geoff

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Good luck, Geoff.  Do let us know how you get on and (perhaps more important) which SWMBO prefers !
** Phil.

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Phil, We have a quandary here,er indoors is in favour of Kris Dhillon,s base,the relatives over the Border prefer coriander powder in the base of curry they had whilst down here,although may be a beery response from them.

Geoff

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Phil, We have a quandary here,er indoors is in favour of Kris Dhillon,s base,the relatives over the Border prefer coriander powder in the base of curry they had whilst down here,although may be a beery response from them.

No quandary there, then -- since you see 'er indoors every day, and the reivers only rarely, best to stick to KD1/PC on a daily basis and switch to the coriander-based base only when the skirl of the pipes announces that another doomed invasion is imminent !

** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Classic!

Offline cawsandcook

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: KD1/PC (Kris Dhillon's original base modified for pressure cooking)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 10:48 AM »
Phil, thanks for posting this. I started with KD base sauce many years ago and made some excellent curry's with it. Thought I would have another go using this variation. I have been moving away from the heavily spiced bases I have been using of late to allow more variation in the final dish. A couple of questions  - any particular reason for the long cooking time in the pressure cooker (which is much longer than the original recipe)? Also any further tweeks to the recipe since this was first posted?
Regards
John

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Phil, thanks for posting this. I started with KD base sauce many years ago and made some excellent curry's with it. Thought I would have another go using this variation. I have been moving away from the heavily spiced bases I have been using of late to allow more variation in the final dish. A couple of questions  - any particular reason for the long cooking time in the pressure cooker (which is much longer than the original recipe) ?
No real reason, John; it may well work with less time, but I didn't experiment to see what effect cooking for less time would have ...

Also any further tweaks to the recipe since this was first posted?
Only to say that for my most recent curry I didn't even bother with the final phase (no tomato, oil, turmeric, paprika) and used ready-made g/g paste (large catering size) rather than fresh ginger and garlic.  As I was planning to add some tomato pur
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 01:40 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline cawsandcook

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Thanks Phil, I am beginning to agree strongly with your last para.
I look forward to giving this one a try.
bw
John

©2024 Curry Recipes