Author Topic: Chicken Madras, KD1-derived  (Read 20131 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras, KD1-derived
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Sooooo, I will stand by my comparison that Kashmiri Mirch could, in certain circumstances, be substituted with Hot Paprika!

I do not for one second dispute that it could; but whether it should is another matter entirely !  Tell you what : you put a teaspoon of Hot Paprika in a used 35mm film canister and post it to me; I'll put a teaspoon of Kashmiri Mirch in similar and post it to you; we then both post our comments on how similar or how different they appeared using the ISO wet finger test ISO 8857A-1.  OK ?!

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:09 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 12:34 PM »
It MUST be Hungarian Sweet paprika, and not the Spanish stuff that we get in supermarkets, Read it on the web somewhere

HS

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 12:49 PM »
It MUST be Hungarian Sweet paprika, and not the Spanish stuff that we get in supermarkets, Read it on the web somewhere
What must, Hotstuff ?

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 12:54 PM »
It MUST be kashmiri mirch , and not the Spanish stuff that we get in supermarkets, Read it on the web somewhere
What must, Hotstuff ?

Used as a sub for kashmiri mirch,  Hungarian Sweet paprika with a touch of chilli powder added to the mix, like i said i only read this online somewhere, so don't know how true it is

HS

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlavoursGal
[...]  it mentions that most spices benefit from "blooming" (aka toasting), the act of cooking spices for a brief amount of time (one to 2 minutes most) in oil or butter before adding the liquid to a recipe. This serves to intensify the flavours of the spices and bring out their essential oils.

Caution: Don't do this with paprika - it tends to take on a bitter, burnt flavour.
So, since Phil's recipe calls for "blooming" (which he calls "bhooning"), you'd better not substitute paprika (hot or otherwise).
M'lud, the defense rests.  Could the Clerk of the Court please show Exhibit A to the Jury ?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Used as a sub for kashmiri mirch,  Hungarian Sweet paprika with a touch of chilli powder added to the mix, like i said i only read this online somewhere, so don't know how true it is

"A touch of chilli pepper" isn't going to get anywhere near the heat that I experienced when I did Ray's (or was it Axe's) wet finger test yesterday : that Kashmiri Mirch is seriously hot !

** Phil.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
"How thin is the KD1/PC base ?"
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 02:00 PM »
Also, how thin is the KD1 base?
OK, test complete.  I have just opened, heated and consumed 1 tin of Baxter's Finest Lobster Bisque ("Now with reduced salt" : no, it doesn't say that on the tin, but my taste-buds know !) and I can say with reasonably certainty that KD1/PC is about 4/5 as viscous/thick/whatever as the Bisque.  I had expected the latter to get less viscous as it was heated, but this did not seem to occur.  The Bisque is more homogeneous ("smoother") than my base, but that is probably more a reflection on my desire not to burn out herself's Bosch stick blender than any intentional difference !

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 02:05 PM »
That's given me a measure Phil, thank you. I really need to get back to the IG and have another look.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 02:09 PM »
My recollection of the Taz base, FWIW, is that it was noticeably thinner, but that may have been after I "food milled" it through a large sieve.

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 02:11 PM »

"A touch of chilli pepper" isn't going to get anywhere near the heat that I experienced when I did Ray's (or was it Axe's) wet finger test yesterday : that Kashmiri Mirch is seriously hot !

** Phil.

So now I'm getting confused here according to your recipe
?1 teaspoon MDH Kashmiri Mirch (for colour)
?1 teaspoon MDH Degghi Mirch (for heat)
the degghi is for heat ::)

©2024 Curry Recipes