Author Topic: New Balti book  (Read 11692 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Balti book
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Shame there still doesnt seem to be any solid info on how Australian Indian Restaurants cook their curries.
Someone will probably put it together one day.
Good point Chewy.

I don't know that there is one way it is done down here.  In my earliest days on this forum I was very interested in Masala Mark's Aussie IR method with the 3 pastes, Onion, Nut and Tomato.  I gave it a go and it did work, but there were only a handful of dish recipes that followed it up.  With my experience now, I could possibly revisit the method and turn out some good curries.  I did PM him a little while back but have not had a reply.

However, I'm not sure that all Aussie Curry Houses cook using this method, or in fact many at all and I would suggest that it is far more common to work much closer to BIR than you probably think over there.  From what I've read about Expat Brits over here, they don't take much to our curries, but what I'm producing, using BIR technique, is not greatly different to what I can buy in the shops. 

The most noticeable difference is the amount and viscosity of BIR curry gravy in relation to the meat or vegies content.  Most Aussie curries I've bought are a good deal thicker and generally have less gravy and more meat.  I tend to thicken my curries up more than you guys and I start with a thicker Base Gravy in the first place. 

There is one curry TA I used to go to where you had clear view of the kitchen, and they were clearly using a style very much along the BIR method.  A big pot of Base Gravy on the cooker, but dishes were made in bulk and ready to serve out of bain marees along with tikka, tandoori portions and samosa etc.  They had a tandoor oven going for naan to order.  It used to get pretty busy being the only Indian for quite some distance, so they definately could not cook individual portions.  This particular shop had a loose gravy and very similar to what I'd think you produce over there.

Certainly the menu listings here in Australia are very similar to UK in many respects but there are a few noted variations due to local preference.

What I am finding out at the moment, is the distinct lack of availability of many of the products you have over there. Possibly this is a contributing factor to the expats not being too keen on our fair.  Maybe we just don't have access to the same raw Spice ingredients in both range and possibly quality.  Our fresh produce is fine.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:24 AM by livo »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 10:36 AM »

The most noticeable difference is the amount and viscosity of BIR curry gravy in relation to the meat or vegies content.  Most Aussie curries I've bought are a good deal thicker and generally have less gravy and more meat. 

This is how curries used to be up until 30 odd years ago and the reason why I have migrated to Pakistani cafes for my meat curries and stuck to BIR for the creamy ones.

I blame the yanks for the change in our eating habits.
People can't even eat a pizza nowadays without dipping it in a pot of sauce.  ::)

littlechilie

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 09:05 PM »

The most noticeable difference is the amount and viscosity of BIR curry gravy in relation to the meat or vegies content.  Most Aussie curries I've bought are a good deal thicker and generally have less gravy and more meat. 

This is how curries used to be up until 30 odd years ago and the reason why I have migrated to Pakistani cafes for my meat curries and stuck to BIR for the creamy ones.

I blame the yanks for the change in our eating habits.
People can't even eat a pizza nowadays without dipping it in a pot of sauce.  ::)

Great topic and excellent points going on here, my experience of true Italian pizza is memorable with it presented as little more than a wonderfully flavoured bread. Less is definitely more.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 09:38 PM »
I'd really like to know precisely what it is about Australian Indian restaurant curries that expatriate Brits don't like. The food seems to hit the spot for mostly everyone else, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that it is a widely held criticism. It can.t be discounted. You probably can't get much more BIR than cooking directly from 'The Books' on Balti and using this forum. I now have the OP thread titled book and 100 Best Baltis  I've studied them and done quite a bit to emulate the style as best is possible and I believe I'm on track. In my efforts of doing so, the dishes produced aren't miles away from the commercially available meals.

I do however, still think that for whatever the reason is, there remains that little something missing from home cooked curry. I don't know what it is but again, there is too much similar feeling for it to be completely disregarded. I am very satisfied with my Indian dishes but every know and then you just smell something that you don't get at home. This is true not only for Indian food. Try asking a Greek family matriarch for her souvlaki recipe.

littlechilie

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 10:09 PM »
Hi Livo, in my own opinion anybody interested in great food taste and quality would be well advised to leave the British Indian restaurant quest. Their time I
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:22 PM by littlechilie »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 11:24 PM »
100% addictive personality over here LC. But, along with that, I'm easily bored of things and can move onto the next without hesitation. Nothing more exciting than a new challenge.

I first started cooking Traditional Indian / Sri Lankan about 30 odd years ago, and did so for many years. My wife was an Exchange Student to Sri Lanka when at school, and we both enjoyed curries.  I still like to include some traditional in my own style and I agree with you about the "sameness" of BIR dishes.  It was only my obsession with a single dish that landed me here but I'm glad it did as I've learnt so much  I like to have banquet style Indian meals. A couple of entrees and sides, 4-6 main dishes and a couple of different types of rice plus bread.  Doing this trad style takes days to prepare. BIR makes it so much more achievable but still 2 days in the preparation and cooking.  Leftovers for a week though. ;D

Traditional is a longer process and I firmly believe that these dishes need a day or two of rest to truly develop the full flavour profile.  A dish eaten immediately is often very plain, but 2 days later it will be absolutely delicious.  Particularly beef and lamb.  I believe BIR also has the same benefit from aging but probably not as much.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
(OT, but a follow-up to the last few posts)
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 09:24 AM »
I had two bad curry experiences this week, one in Lostwithiel and one in Bodmin.  The first involved a pub that has recently branched out into Indian (BIR) cuisine but without the benefit of a sub-continental chef.  The owner/chef did her best, but only the prawn puree and the pulao rice were up to scratch; the other three dishes are best passed over.  Then on Friday I went to my favourite Indian restaurant in Bodmin, the Golden Temple,  knowing that Mrs Bari would be on holiday and that Mr Bari (who has his own Indian restaurant in Camelford) would be duty chef.  Unfortunately he was rushed off his feet, as a result of which my chicken vindaloo was almost certainly rushed; the spices were not properly cooked out, and the result is best left to the imagination.  In an attempt to rescue something from the ashes, I took the remains of the chicken madras that I had brought back from Lostwithiel (the portions were enormous), removed the chicken from the not-very-good sauce, then made a very quick Kris Dhillon-style chicken madras with those and 3/4 pint of Taz base.  The latter had not been refrigerated (it was made for the February "Bob's Chicken Bhoona" group test, so about a month old) and had formed rings of mould on the top; I carefully removed those, brought it back to the boil, left it to simmer until the oil separated out, and then used it for the chicken madras without re-homogenization.  The results were excellent, and by far the best of this week's three curries.  I am now minded to continue to use the remains of the Taz base (maybe 1 1/2 litres) with Kris Dhillon's methodology, just varying the spices and proportions to see what effects can be achieved.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 10:31 AM »
"one in Lostwithiel and one in Bodmin." 
Well there's your problem Phil !!!  Who makes up the names of these places you go?  Out here in the colonies we have the salubrious townships of Woy Woy, (the home of Spike Milligan (and his mum) and there is a bridge named in his honour) and the close suburbs of Ettalong and Umina.  Honestly Phil, how can you expect to buy a proper BIR in Lostwithiel or Bodmin?

I hope to have a horrible bridge named after me one day.

I'm glad you were able to salvage a feed from your dissapointing presentations.  Don't go back without your own utensils next time. hey?

I mowed his mum's lawn (in Orange Grove) one time and she offered us lemonade when a beer would have been much better.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 06:20 PM »
Honestly Phil, how can you expect to buy a proper BIR in Lostwithiel or Bodmin?
S'truth, cobber, the last time I ordered a possum curry in Wollumboola, I had to call the flying doc out I was that bad !
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:44 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 07:50 PM »

I immediately set about blending the Balti Garam Masala and the general Balti Masala. ..........
........ The Balti Masala and Garam Masala just set it all off.

Any chance of sharing the masala recipes Livo?

©2024 Curry Recipes