Author Topic: 'Frying' by the seat of my pants!  (Read 13398 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
'Frying' by the seat of my pants!
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Following CWG's reports of the Roshney Chicken and a mediocre attempt at CTM last night, I decided that rather than waste the left over base and masala, I would try and use it somehow tonight.

So the plan was to create a Roshney Chicken, the only trouble is that I have no idea what this is. So I trawled through the info that Chris has kindly posted so far and made a mental note. Now the other problem is that I had already combined the remains of a Masala Sauce with about 250ml of Kushi base, so I was really reaching on this one. In other words, I was looking for a miracle, fortunately, that's exactly what I got.......

So from yesterday I had about 4 tablespoons of Dipuraja's Masala Sauce which was made using Teaspoon measures to his recipe. The changed elements were IG Spice Mix, Pataks Madras Paste instead of Kebab Paste, Coconut Powder and Almond Powder. This was added to the remains if the ABC Kushi Base about 250ml and left in the fridge overnight.

To start I took two chicken breats and cut them into tikka then added them to a bowl with 1 tablespoon of Mustard Oil, 0.5 tsp Fenugreek Powder, 0.75 Mix powder and a little squirt of lemon juice. I rubbed the marinade in and placed the chicken in a small tray, covered in foil and roasted in the oven for 20mins.

While this was cooking I had to think of a way to bulk up the base. In other words, cook a small portion of base really quickly. I chose the following: I finely chopped one onion and added this to a pan with oil and fried until the onion was starting to catch stirring occasionally, I then added 1 heaped teaspoon of Garlic & Ginger and stirred this in for 30 seconds. This was followed by just covering the onions with boiling water, lid on and boiled hard until the water had all but gone. This was then repeated a second time, until the water had evaporated by half. The wet onion mixture was added to the base/masala mix and a tablespoon of Methi Leaves was added.

Timed for the chicken to come out I then set about the final cook. I added 1 onion chopped, half a red pepper chopped and 2 green chillis seeded and chopped, to oil in a pan. This was cooked for about 5 minutes to soften the onion mixture. I then added 0.75 tablespoon of IG spice mix and stirred through making sure to cook the spices hard i.e. almost burnt. The base/masala/onion mix was then added to the pan. After about 3mins I added the chicken and about half the juice that was in the tray along with a little water to loosen the dish.

Whilst this cooked through, I pre heated another pan with a good knob of butter (I had run out of ghee) and added 5 large sliced garlic cloves. This was cooked until the garlic also began to catch (the sticky stage). The contents of the pan then added to the main dish and stirred through.

Cooked for a further few minutes, I finally added 2 teaspoons of the chilli Jam I used in the LeSpice Jalfrezi (ABC Topic), stirred through and served with chopped coriander on top (I added alot more after the photo was taken).

I don't know if it resembles the Roshney Chris enjoys, but all I can say is that my mouth was dancing with delight, we absolutely loved it. Nothing was overpowering, it had a good depth of flavour with an almost smoky aroma perfectly balanced with a subtle sweetness and a gentle kick of chilli.

The only problem I have now is how to work out the recipe accurately, so I can do it again!

Thanks for reading and a big thank you to ChrisWG for sharing the gleaned information from Chutney's, as without the inspiration this would never have happened.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:13 PM by Axe »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: 'Frying' by the seat of my pants!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:13 PM »
Wonderful  creative cookery, Axe : you really need to enter for Masterchef (or similar) -- you have definitely got what it takes.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:26 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:18 PM »
Compliments will get you everywhere. ;D I've now turned a shade that resembles your KD1 Madras. ;)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:55 AM »
Hi Axe

Very impressive indeed :)

Did you really make that up as you went along?

Please, please, please post the recipe :)

Cheers

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Great looking result mate
Mick

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:40 AM »
Damn that looks good. I'm having a real one for tea and I'm already counting down the minutes.

I think the recipe has all the right elements in it, you just got there a slightly different way. Try and get one from Chutneys one day if you are ever driving down the M3 so you know what you are aiming for.

Any ideas what made this different? Do you think cooking the slices for longer than usual helped? This was one thing Az was adamant about. Did you manage to get a bit of flambee action with the garlic? When he made it he added a bit of sauce from the main pan into the garlic pan which caused an insane flare up. He poured the contents of the garlic pan into the main pan while it was still on fire!

Great work. I can't wait to give it a go myself.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Hi Malc,

Fantastic work my friend.  I hope you manage to re-create the recipe and post it. 

I've never had a Roshney/Roshni?  so I wouldn't know what I'm aiming for. I would love to give this a go though. 

I'm going to check if Roshni/Roshney appears on any of my TA menu.

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Ray, I think there was a message a few days ago from ChrisWG that said that the two were unrelated, just similar in sound, so it is probably worth making sure you are looking for the right one !  One was a personal creation, the other a more generic dish that isn't even similar in style.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:30 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 10:50 AM »
Hi Phil,

Ray, I think there was a message a few days ago from ChrisWG that said that the two were unrelated, just similar in sound, so it is probably worth making sure you are looking for the right one !  One was a personal creation, the other a more generic dish that isn't even similar in style.

** Phil.

Ahh, I see.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Well, just checked all my TA menu's and only 1 of 8 offer Roshni:

Chicken or Lamb Roshni (NEW)
Cooked mainly with fresh whole cloves of garlic, aromatic spices, onion seeds, capsicum and fresh coriander.
A dish of dry consistency

Think I'm going to have to order one and see for myself.

Thanks for the heads up Phil,

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, it is very much appreciated. :)

I will try my hardest to figure out an accurate list of ingredients for this. The problem I have is that as I made this on the spot, I wasn't measuring anything. The hardest part will be determining the masala sauce quantities.

I'll also have to work on how to translate the 'cheats' extra base that I added. It may be the final recipe can simply use additional base, but the bowl of fried and then poached onions that I did use last night, had a familiar 'hotdog' taste. You'll laugh, but the idea was born out of a conversation I had with Chris about the chef's Masala. Whereby he cooks onions until falling apart before adding the pastes etc. Knowing this and needing extra fluid for the base it seemed a feasible idea. I'm thankful that it worked.

Chris, I would definitely say that 'charring' the spices, helped to give the dish the depth of flavour. It certainly attributed to the feint smokiness the dish had. In this respect I can see why Az is adamant.

Equally as important I would say, is the cooking of the Garlic Slices towards the end of the final dish. I didn't flamb

©2024 Curry Recipes