Author Topic: 'Frying' by the seat of my pants!  (Read 13293 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: 'Frying' by the seat of my pants!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Hi Axe
Well done, looks a good homemade flavour explosion, how many flavour's have you got in there Malc?
You should give it your own credit! Le Axe Special perhaps

In the Northeast
Roshney - Roshni - Roshun - Roshuni all translates roughly as Garlic!
What else goes into it, just depends on the cook and what he's been shown or developed from customer feedback, if it sells well, that's it.
Roshun is the most common name for this dish used in BIR menus.
Rezala and Roshun developed in the 80s and were classed as Chefs Specialities both were more exotic and spicy than a Bhuna.
In general, I've seen alot of Roshun dishes being served with only a tarka
of extra garlic, especially in TA's... A pale comparison to your stirling
creation Axe!

keep up the good work! Cheers

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Not sure if I mentioned this before but Chutneys make theirs using chicken tikka. It looks like they get a large chicken breast, cut it in half lengthways then marinade it in the tikka marinade. This is then fed onto the skewers and cooked in the tandoor then left to cool on the skewers. When an order came in the chef would take one of these large (and by then cool) pieces and slice them diagonally giving strips of chicken tikka about 3 inches long. These went into the CTM and the Roshney Chicken.

Chewy - I think the word has two meanings dependent on the dialect. The chef in Farnborough told me it meant thin, as in runny. Az said it meant garlic. I think someone else confirmed this. The dish isn't dissimilar to a garlicy Chicken Tikka Rezzala, but I think the late addition of the flambeed galic makes all the difference. I've ordered a cast iron pan especially to try it!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Thanks Chewy, when I finally figure out the exact recipe, i'll do just that. There is definitely a lot happening in this dish, i'd hate to have to work out just how much. But to summarise it is essentially:

Base
Mix Powder
Onion & Pepper Chopped
Fresh Chilli chopped
Methi Leaves
Masala Sauce
Fried Garlic
Chilli Jam
Pre-cooked Chicken
Coriander

Actually, that's been useful to list it like that.

Chris, you did mention the Tikka previously. It will be something I keep in mind as my version of this dish progresses. I hadn't any tikka available last night so opted for my pre-cook. I only mentioned it as I thought it would be important to point this out should anyone want to try and make it. I can't say whether it was right or wrong of me to use my pre-cook in place of the tikka, but I can say it did work.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 02:00 PM »
I dont think it would make much of a difference to the final dish. I just wasn't sure I had mentioned it previously.

I think you list sums it up pretty well, now if only I can get his Massala Sauce perfected this would be a pretty easy and very tasty, dish to make.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 02:18 PM »
if only I can get his Massala Sauce

It might be worth taking a look at DPR's masala for the time being, then add in the additional components like the slow cooked onion, coconut, almond, etc. In the main, they are all a variation on a theme, but I accept they all differ in their own unique way.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Axe's Masala Sauce
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Ok, so this afternoon I have spent accurately measuring up the ingredients used in the Masala Sauce I made and used in the Roshney Chicken recipe I ventured. As it was born out of information I have gleaned and does not identically match any recipe that I have seen, I will simply refer to it as AMS or Axe's Masala Sauce, for now. Credit must go to Curry Barking Mad and Dipuraja for their influence on this recipe though.

I have always measured using rounded measures and with a regular spoon i.e tsp, dsp or tbls. I have never worried about this as all my measurements are done this way. It was interesting to see how they actually measured using accurate measuring spoons, for example 1 tsp of Garlic & Ginger was actually 10ml. Oh I can hear them moaning in the back row already lol. But if you watch Dipuraja in his video's you'll get the idea.

Of the following recipe, I used about 90ml of it to make the Roshney Chicken, making a single portion 45ml.

Ingredients
(ml) Description
10   Garlic & Ginger
_5   Pataks Madras Paste
_8   Pataks Kasmiri Paste
10   Pataks Tandoori Paste
10   Pataks Tikka Paste
10   Kasuri Methi
20   IG Spice Mix
20   Almond Powder
20   Coconut Powder
10   Lemon Juice
90   Yoghurt

Method
Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and mix. When measuring the Methi leaves ensure that they are rubbed between you hands first to ensure accurate measurement. Once thoroughly mixed, add colouring if desired, I used about 5ml of red liquid colouring.

AMS
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:41 PM by Axe »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Try and get one from Chutneys one day if you are ever driving down the M3 so you know what you are aiming for.

I called in there last week but I was half an hour too early and perhaps the first dish of the day would not have given it the best shot, even if I'd waited. Also, the Chicken Roshney is GBP 7.95 so a bit pricey for a take-away, I thought.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Hi Axe,

Which curries would you use this masala in? I'm not sure what a Roshney is. Could you describe it?

Also, how does this paste compare in your opinion with finished CTMs (that is assuming its for use in one!) versus the Dipuraja and CMB ones?

Thx,
Josh

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 11:40 AM »
Hi Josh,

Until recently I had never looked into CTM and only learnt of the Chef's Special Masala thanks to timely intervention by both JerryM on his CTM quest and CBM through conversation. So how many dishes the Masala goes into, is at the moment a mystery to me, though I can say it is at least three that I know of. Chicken Tikka Masala, Le Spice Jalfrezi and Chutney's Roshney Chicken.

I haven't actually tried Chutney's Roshney, so I can not tell you what it is meant to taste like. What my dish tasted like is very similar to the Le Spice Jalfrezi only this had deeper undertones with a hint of smokiness.

I haven't done a side by side comparison to either of the two Masala recipes you mention, so it would be unfair to comment. However they all have similar foundations, though neither use almond or coconut powder.

The main reason I have posted the Masala is to give members a chance to make the Roshney with the information supplied in the first post. I will be trying to make the dish again omitting the 'bulk up' onion mix and using 300ml of base instead. Especially as I now have 200ml of Masala to use!

I would be more than happy for members to try this masala in a CTM and report back with their findings, not least as it will give them an opportunity to try the Roshney Chicken as well.

:)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:37 PM by Axe »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 12:52 PM »
Axe,

looks like you've been real busy - top notch efforts and much appreciated.

i'd like to try out the roshni (not found it up north but in midlands soon so hoping). could you please write out the recipe as you have it for the dish as it would help us all eager to try it.

ps the amount of yogurt in the masala is interesting too. 

©2024 Curry Recipes