Author Topic: Regional Basic Curry Sauce (Newcastle)?  (Read 4864 times)

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
Regional Basic Curry Sauce (Newcastle)?
« on: October 28, 2005, 04:43 PM »
I am from Newcastle, UK and I have noticed a difference from the currys in different areas.

So I was wondering if anyone has an EXCELLENT North East Basic Curry Sauce Recipe. The currys in Newcastle are about 80% Sauce and 20% vegetables or Chicken etc. You will never find a dry curry in Newcastle, ever. The sauces are AMAZING!!! I live in the USA now and most currys are DRY! and WAY below par compared to Curries Back home.

SO does anyone have a basic curry sauce like the one I am looking for...one that I will feel like I back at home again :D.....

Even if its not Newcastle, somewhere near.....

Has anyone done a poll yet? if not can you all recommend probably the BEST basic curry Sauce recipe there is, one which is just like one you would get in a take away?!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 04:58 PM by Midge »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Regional Basic Curry Sauce (Newcastle)?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 05:13 PM »
Man, i divvnt nae.

am gannin fer a broon!

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 05:59 PM »
Man, i divvnt nae.

am gannin fer a broon!

H'way man someone must have the best, most like a Takeaway basic curry sauce recipe here? ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 06:01 PM »
Midge

I've never been to Newcastle, let alone had a curry there but here are some thoughts:

>I am from Newcastle, UK and I have noticed a difference
>from the currys in different areas.

Do you mean different areas of the UK? Or different parts of the world, as you go on to draw comparisons with curries in the USA. If the latter, do bear in mind that this forum is primarily about the unique style (apart from Newcastle perhaps) of British Indian restaurant (BIR) curries.

>So I was wondering if anyone has an EXCELLENT
>North East Basic Curry Sauce Recipe.

No harm in asking, but our basic premise appears to be that most BIR curries are the same, so we're looking for pretty much one recipe. There may be a difference or a nuance about 'North East Basic Curry Sauce Recipe' but we haven't got to that stage yet!

>The currys in Newcastle are about 80% Sauce and 20% vegetables or Chicken etc.
This sounds pretty much like most of the curries I've had in any BIR throughout the UK, so are they really all that different?

>You will never find a dry curry in Newcastle, ever.
Some selected dishes are dry in BIRs and I would expect to find those in Newcastle too.

>The sauces are AMAZING!!!
Yes, that's why we're searching to come up with as many recipes as possible.

>I live in the USA now and most currys are DRY!
>and WAY below par compared to Curries Back home.

I've never had a decent BIR-style curry in the USA.

>SO does anyone have a basic curry sauce like the one I am looking for
There are several on this site and they are quite easy to find. In fact it's what the majority of all the thousands of postings are about.

>Has anyone done a poll yet? if not can you all recommend probably the
> BEST basic curry Sauce recipe there is, one which is just like one
>you would get in a take away?!

Again, that's pretty much what this site is about. Do check it out.

Good luck
Regards
George

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 06:42 PM »
George,

Thanks...What I would love is....well, how can I put it..theres sooooooooooooooo many Basic Curry REcipes on this site..I really havent got a clue which one to try.

So thats why I was asking for the most popular one as I am suppose to make dinner tonight and an fast running out of time, so I was wondering if some one would be so kind as to tell me the most popular one? (prefably one I could freeze too)

That would be GREAT! :D

THANKS!!!!!

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 07:15 PM »
Midge

Just so I'm sure we're talking about the same 'basic curry' thing, by basic curry sauce, I/we mean the huge pot of gravy/soup stuff which sits on the stove at most BIRs, and forms the starting point for most curries which they make. It speeds things up.

There has been a recent resurgence of interest here in the basic curry sauce from a popular old book called 'The Curry Secret' by Kris Dhillon. Some people might say 'KD'. The recipe is here on the site, together with other summarised lists of other 'leading' recipes for basic sauce, which people have rated quite highly. For example, I rated one by MarkJ which started out at 30 onions but I scaled it back to about 4 onions.

All the threads within this 'curry sauce' section of the site are about the basic curry sauce. You also need a 'stage 2' recipe, e.g. Chicken Madras. Just browse around and you will find the recipes.

You could start here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=550.0

Regards
George

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 07:23 PM by George »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 07:26 PM »
So thats why I was asking for the most popular one as I am suppose to make dinner tonight and an fast running out of time

So you want it tonight? All the base sauces should be left to 'mature' overnight. If you do not believe that then it dosesn't matter which one you choose.

If you really are going to curry up tonight then a base sauce will not even feature

high heat, lots of oil, plenty of garlic and anything you want in it is good.

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 09:35 PM »
Midge

Just so I'm sure we're talking about the same 'basic curry' thing, by basic curry sauce, I/we mean the huge pot of gravy/soup stuff which sits on the stove at most BIRs, and forms the starting point for most curries which they make. It speeds things up.

There has been a recent resurgence of interest here in the basic curry sauce from a popular old book called 'The Curry Secret' by Kris Dhillon. Some people might say 'KD'. The recipe is here on the site, together with other summarised lists of other 'leading' recipes for basic sauce, which people have rated quite highly. For example, I rated one by MarkJ which started out at 30 onions but I scaled it back to about 4 onions.

All the threads within this 'curry sauce' section of the site are about the basic curry sauce. You also need a 'stage 2' recipe, e.g. Chicken Madras. Just browse around and you will find the recipes.

You could start here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=550.0

Regards
George

'the huge pot of gravy/soup stuff which sits on the stove at most BIRs, and forms the starting point for most curries which they make.'

Yep thats exactly what I am on about! 8) I am going to try and find the 'The Curry Secret' by Kris Dhillon or thw MarkJ one...

Thanks!!!

Offline scribes

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 04:36 PM »
I am from Newcastle, UK and I have noticed a difference from the currys in different areas.

So I was wondering if anyone has an EXCELLENT North East Basic Curry Sauce Recipe. The currys in Newcastle are about 80% Sauce and 20% vegetables or Chicken etc. You will never find a dry curry in Newcastle, ever. The sauces are AMAZING!!! I live in the USA now and most currys are DRY! and WAY below par compared to Curries Back home.

SO does anyone have a basic curry sauce like the one I am looking for...one that I will feel like I back at home again :D.....

Even if its not Newcastle, somewhere near.....

Has anyone done a poll yet? if not can you all recommend probably the BEST basic curry Sauce recipe there is, one which is just like one you would get in a take away?!

the madras/vindaloo sauce in the Rupali and Golden Bengali is the best, and the type os sauce I would like to make. Both these restaurants are in the Bigg Market

Offline richclever

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 11:01 AM »
Just seen this one. I know it's a bit late but...

When I lived in Newcastle, I noticed that the curries tended to be hotter than elsewhere (lived in Hull before that and have had them in London too).  Also, a chicken dish seemd to have had the chicken cooked beforehand but not in dice - think they may have boiled a whole chicken and taken the meat off.  Certainly this was the case from many takeaways in the West End around Brighton Grove.  Too be honest I wasn't as keen on them as others from other parts of the UK.

While I am on here, is there anyone on the forum that lives in Hull and uses the Golden Bengal on Hessle Road?  Rafique the owner was a school friend of mine and I would like to get in touch.  I now live in France and the curries here are pretty awful, so when I am back in the summer I am going to see if he will show me how to cook like he doe in his takeaway.  That way i will be able to get a good fix back here.  If anyone goes there, can you try to get his email address if he has one and let me know it?  Tell him Richard who went to Kingston school with him was asking.

Thanks,

Richard

©2024 Curry Recipes