Author Topic: Aluminium Pans on ebay.  (Read 17796 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminium Pans on ebay.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 07:43 PM »
You having one Phil?
No, I'm very happy with our wok-like Tefal pan : it's big by the standards that most seem to prefer (30cm at the top, I think) but as I always cook double portions it is fine for me, and also avoids the worst of the splashes that would occur with lower sides.  I also have my stainless one for the days when I am banished (with trusty induction hob) to cook curries in the garden !

** Phil.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Still more than ten available, guys : stop panicking !
;D
It's not the amount they have left Phil (26 actually), but the massive savings you make on the postage by buying more than one at a time. ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 08:20 PM »
It's not the amount they have left Phil (26 actually), but the massive savings you make on the postage by buying more than one at a time. ;)
When I finally master the art of cooking more than one curry at a time, I may start buying more than one pan at a time  ;D

P.S. Tonight's curry does not bode well : the pre-cooked chicken smelled distinctly off, but as there was only four ounces left I have curried it anyway and will see whether the curry does what it was originally designed to do -- disguise the aroma and taste of rancid meat !
P.P.S.  Yes, worked perfectly : no trace of rancidness in the finished curry.  Success  ;D

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:34 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 10:06 PM »
Bloody hell Phil, you must have a lead lined stomach :o

Just the slightest hint that something is past it's best for me, gets bagged, then bagged again, and goes straight in the bin.  I've got the weakest stomach ever!

Ray :(

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Bloody hell Phil, you must have a lead lined stomach :o

Just the slightest hint that something is past it's best for me, gets bagged, then bagged again, and goes straight in the bin.  I've got the weakest stomach ever!
I know you will think me crazy, but the reason that I try to eat food that has gone off (not in preference to food that is fresh, you understand), or to be more precise, meat that has gone off, is that some animal gave its life that I might eat.  And to show respect for that sacrifice, I try to ensure that nothing is wasted.  The bones go to the foxes, and everything else I try to eat.

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 11:02 PM »
Very noble Phil but is it worth your own well being? 

Without trying to sound crass, I suspect that the animal would have rather not been killed in the first place, so It's a bit too late to 'respect' the beast after it's left the abattoir.

I do understand what you are saying Phil but even if I shared the sentiment, I just couldn't stomach it!

Ray :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 11:21 PM »
Very noble Phil but is it worth your own well being? 
I am reasonably safe : because I need to take proton-pump inhibitors twice daily, and therefore have very low stomach acid, my gut is far more sensitive than most, and usually excretes anything that might cause me problems within 20 minutes.

Without trying to sound crass, I suspect that the animal would have rather not been killed in the first place, so It's a bit too late to 'respect' the beast after it's left the abattoir.
I don't think that's crass at all, and I completely agree with your first sentence.  Indeed, whenever I see the transporter arrive at the local abattoir (which is just two miles from our home) the horror of the reality of what is involved in eating flesh is brought painfully home to me.

But I don't think it is too late to show respect once an animal is dead, which is why I find televised "humour" involving dead chickens particularly distasteful.  The Germans (and I think the Norwegians, but I'm less sure about that) are noted in deer stalking circles for the respect that they show their victims : they place a "last meal" of moss in the animal's mouth, and sit around it and contemplate it for up to an hour (or so I was told by the gamekeeper on the Isle of Mull).

I do understand what you are saying Phil but even if I shared the sentiment, I just couldn't stomach it!
That's fine : friendly disagreement is always welcome  :)

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:18 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 12:04 AM »
What's the best pans for cooking rotten chicken in? ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 12:10 AM »
What's the best pans for cooking rotten chicken in? ;)
Bedpans : garbage in, garbage out  ;D

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 02:55 PM »
 ;D

Well my pan has arrived, so very quick delivery.

Seems to be pretty good quality, heavier and thicker than I expected.

Size-wise, it is a little small (for me and my usual large portions), it actually measures 21cm inside diameter by about 4cm deep with a 17cm long stainless steel handle.

So I'd say recommended (I'm no expert on these type of pans mind), if you are ok with the size.

Cheers
Martin

©2024 Curry Recipes