Author Topic: Aluminium Pans on ebay.  (Read 17819 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminium Pans on ebay.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 10:32 PM »
I just think that it's the sheer amount of oil, and vigorous movement of the pan in BIR style cooking, that prevents any 'stiction' (is that a real word Phil? lol)
Well, that's not for me to say :)   But the Oxford English Dictionary says :

Quote from: OED
stiction, n.

Pronunciation:  /?st?k??n/
Etymology:  < st(atic fr)iction.
= static friction n. at static adj. 3c.
1946    Jrnl. Royal Aeronaut. Soc. 50 365/1   

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Phil,

Love it.  From this day forth, I wil be describing static friction as 'stiction'

Ray ;D

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 12:38 AM »
I'll be interested in your views when you get yours Ray, and yes, I do still think it's a bargain and like I said it will get used, it will, it will, it will, I tell you. ;)

Cool, I'm really glad that you think it'll suit your currying needs, only due to the size I just don't think I'm experienced or confident enough yet for it to suit me (and possibly any other beginners thinking of getting one).
But maybe in the future, with a bit more practice and with small single portions I'll find it ok to use.

As for the stiction  ;), judging from my onion cooking (and of course everyone else's use of Ali pans), I agree, there won't be any problems cooking curries in it at all.

As for the handle, I didn't burn myself on it or anything, but if I accidentally held it a little low down, it was, shall we say, getting a little uncomfortably hot.

Phil, I cook my pancakes in my tefal non-stick, which I usually cook the steak and onions in. But any other suggestions most welcome.

Cheers
Martin

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 12:53 AM »
Phil, I cook my pancakes in my tefal non-stick, which I usually cook the steak and onions in. But any other suggestions most welcome.
Well, I used to use an aluminium pan for pancakes, and the technique was always the same : put some lard in the pan, turn the power up to maybe 90%, wait for the lard to start giving off a blue heat haze, pour out the lard, pour in the batter, and Bob's your uncle (repeat until absolutely bloated !).  The great advantage of an aluminium pan for pancakes is that you can insert a flexible (i.e., old-fashioned) palette knife under the pancake if it shows any signs of adhering to the pan.  Now we have a dedicated non-stick pancake pan, but of course I have to treat it with as much care as a new-born baby : no palette knives, only nylon or wooden spatulae.  Both old and new pans are similar in one respect : there are no step functions in the inner contour -- just a gentle curve around which a palette knife or a flexible spatula can easily bend.

And a confession : table manners at home were considered very important, but for pancakes a really major exception was made  -- one was allowed to lick the plate when finished, in order to be able to extract every last drop of that wonderful lemon juice & sugar mixture !

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:38 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 06:45 AM »

Steak stuck to the pan bottom when added.
Do Aluminium pans need any sort of seasoning first to stop this? :-\

I asked this same question recently and, like you, was told no.  However, I have noticed this Amazon review which says different, so now I'm undecided.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 02:12 PM »
Did you get your pan Ray and what did you think?

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 01:29 PM »
Ended up ordering one of these hopefully be here in a few days

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Hi Martin,

Sorry for the late reply mate.  Yes, I did get the pan and was surprised at the size.  I expected it to be bigger.

I don't think it's big enough to make a full size portion but it's great for making my wifes portion size.

It's a decent enough pan though and I will use it, just not for my curries.

Ray :)

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Received mine today decent enough pan for the price

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Went to the chinese supermarket today for the first time came away with bags full of spices,pastes and sauces also picked up this pan for ?8
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/imagehost/#209ceba3111a83ec5792a321c471d0e5.jpg

©2024 Curry Recipes