Author Topic: The smoking gun  (Read 6097 times)

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
The smoking gun
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Well ive tried smoked paprika to get that desired smokey taste and still not happy so done some googling and found this nifty gadget.

http://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/prod_1922.html?category=&gclid=CKnSz5OTgagCFYFB4QodmFMnpQ

i would think i could smoke my tikka with this and probally get carried away and do my  onions for base, its a bit expensive but i think it would cheaper alterative to a tandoor.

anybody tried one
Fishy

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The smoking gun
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Hi fishy, nice gadget.

Here's another tip for 'tea smoking' and one that I'm sure Phil is familiar with.

Get a dry wok, rip a couple of tea bags open and sprinkle the leaves into the bottom of the wok.  Get a bamboo wok steamer, and place on/in the wok.  Place pieces of cooked chicken in the steamer, about the size you would use for tikka.  Put a lid on the wok, place on a high heat and smoke for about 10 mins.

Nice smokey pieces of chicken.  You could try this with anything I guess?

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:25 PM »
Here's another tip for 'tea smoking' and one that I'm sure Phil is familiar with.
No, I confess I am not, and I have just asked Khanh and she is not either.  Perhaps it has not made it across the border from China into Viet Nam !

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Hi Phil,

That has surprised me :o  I was to understand that it is quite a common practice to south east Asia!

Well, give it a go.  The different varieties of teabags or indeed actual tea leaves that are available these days, make the possibilities endless.

I should imagine that this technique would be particularly good with fresh seafood?

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:37 PM »
I am familiar with "tea eggs" (both making and eating); have you tried those ?
** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Hi Fishy,

I haven't used the smoking gun, looks like an interesting way to smoke things, I wonder how expensive the refills are.

If your after a way to add a smoky flavour, you could try this: Liquid Smoke

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14 AM »
I am familiar with "tea eggs" (both making and eating); have you tried those ?
** Phil.

Believe it or not, we are making these at the weekend with my girls, any tips? I've never done them before but remember seeing on the tele moons ago. There were boiled in a strong tea mixture, but I see from google they are done traditionally using Soy Sauce as well, which I like the idea of.

Is there a traditional way of enjoying them once made?

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 11:06 AM »
I made Tea Eggs years ago (further back than i care to remember,) ;D This is how I done them.
Hard boil your eggs About 7-8 mins, when cool enough to handel crack the shell all over, with the back of a spoon (don't remove any shell) then put them into a bowl and cover with soy sauce, (or tea) and let stand for a couple of day's, (The longer the better) and when you take off the shell "BINGO" Tea Eggs, (I expect their are many other ways to do them, this was mine)

HS

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 01:49 PM »
I used to be tea eggs too and they tasted quite good.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Believe it or not, we are making these [tea eggs] at the weekend with my girls, any tips? I've never done them before but remember seeing on the tele moons ago. There were boiled in a strong tea mixture, but I see from google they are done traditionally using Soy Sauce as well, which I like the idea of.
Yes, strong tea and dark soja, but also (I think) star anise.  I will ask Khanh when she gets home and post an update.

Is there a traditional way of enjoying them once made?
My Chinese friends just regard them as picnic food, and eat them as you or I might eat hard-boiled eggs on such an occasion.  But I do find that a little salt works wonders !

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes