Author Topic: Your own alternative creations?  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Your own alternative creations?
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:13 PM »
I've been messing about quite a bit on the curry front lately. Trying different things like the Sweet Potato Dhansak. The sweet potato worked really well so last night I made a Sweet Potato, Spinach and Mushroom Bhagi, which was also really tasty.

What alternatives have you tried and found to be really good?

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Your own alternative creations?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Hi Axe

Well, I don't actually have a creation to post atm :( - however your post got me thinking...

With hopefully a nice weekend coming up, what delicious things could I cook on the BBQ, and even better if they were curry themed!

We all know and love tikka and kebabs (Especially Razors :) - yum), but how about some variety.

I was wondeing about creating somthing like a spicy lamb burger with a paneer filling for example.

Ahhh!  the smell of grilled lamb on a BBQ and melted paneer oozing out from the middle when you cut it  :P

Or something like a spicy chicken kiev with a paneer / suitable filling.

You could always leave out any chillis in a portion for the kids / grandma too - if they don't like them.

Just a thought...

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:04 AM »
The spicy Lamb burger with paneer sounds good. :)

What about a stuffed pepper with a filling of say Pilau Rice mixed with a mushroom bhaji, or even sag aloo. Oh god i'm starting to drool!

Talking of kebabs, did you ever see my Chicken Shish Kebab Recipe ?

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:32 AM »
I've been messing about quite a bit on the curry front lately. Trying different things like the Sweet Potato Dhansak. The sweet potato worked really well so last night I made a Sweet Potato, Spinach and Mushroom Bhagi, which was also really tasty.

What alternatives have you tried and found to be really good?
Hi Axe
I made a variant of my Chilli Beef last night, which was fantastic and
is added to my "good combo menu"
The addition was Butternut Squash and the mixed powder was replaced
with MDH Kitchen King.
I added the par boiled butternut squash at the 5min mark so it didn't go too mushy!
Have a look at my original here
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5651.0
Well worth a try Malc, Cheers

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:43 AM »
I haven't used butternut squash, that's certainly going on my list of things to try. Thanks Chewy.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Sorry, guys, I'm a boring old f@rt : I don't have any "alternative creations" at all  :(  I live on Chicken Madras and frozen paratha, have recently added Sag Aloo to my armoury, make Tandoori Chicken & Chicken Tikka at most twice a year (on barbecue days), and that is about it.  But Khanh & I both like Lamb Dhansak & Lamb Biryani, so I may attempt those one day.  Oh, and Masala Dosa : a dish to die for, if only I could learn to make it properly ...

** Phil.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:36 PM »
This is a great thread as we are fairly uniquely placed to come up with some Brindian dishes. Your average BIR chef is very Indian and while their Indian cooking skills are awesome, they probably couldn't knock up a shepherds pie or a lasagne (not that they would want to).

Now it feels like we are coming to terms with BIR cooking the sky is the limit in terms of new fusion dishes.

Why not a spicy keema and paneer lasagne? A chicken madras panini for a lunchtime snack? Vishdaar Mendhak in the Hole using Rays kebab and covered in curry sauce instead of gravy? I might even give those a go over the summer, along with the spicy lamb burgers.

If we all think outside the curry takeaway bag I bet we can come up with some cracking ideas.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Vishdaar Mendhak in the Hole using Rays kebab and covered in curry sauce

This is very similar to a conversation we had a while back Spicy Yorkies. I haven't tried the spice mix in the batter yet, but I can say that the flavour combination does work. I bought some roasted cumin and garlic sausages and used these in a toad-in-the-hole with chunks of red pepper and onion. It a cracking dish and one we enjoy from time to time. It could certainly be developed.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Hi

Well, as JerryM would say - I'm sold in the Indian style stuffed peppers - that is a great idea.

Axe, your Axe's Chicken Shish - Kebab Recipe looks great too. Certainly will give that a whirl really soon :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:22 PM »
Certainly will give that a whirl really soon :)

Thanks Russ, let me know what you think. :)

©2024 Curry Recipes