Author Topic: Any Greek chefs on the site - Kleftico and Afelia  (Read 27988 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Any Greek chefs on the site - Kleftico and Afelia
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Incidentally Phil, are you able to share what you were taught by the Greek Chef?
I wish I could, Malc : if I had had the confidence to do so, I would already have done so.  Unfortunately it was a very long time ago, and I remember only the basics :stabbing the leg to insert the garlic, then rubbing with olive oil, dredging with oregano, then (for modern methods) wrapping in either baking paper or baking foil, putting in the oven at the lowest possible setting at which the lamb will cook, and then leaving for several hours to cook through.  The skill was in getting the temperature/time right; all the rest was pretty plain sailing ...

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 08:26 PM »
No problem Phil, what you describe is almost the basic recipe I feel. Do you remember if lemon was involved in anyway?

It's funny you know, until this topic, I had never considered doing anything other than a traditional roast for a leg of lamb. Now though, I think I will be giving the Greek treatment for a while.

I very much enjoyed the pork tonight especially the roasted veg. I got different results to the pics shown and had to adjust cooking times. I realise now that the recipes I have followed have been 'uploaded'. I took a leap of faith I guess, fortunately it worked out.

One thing is for sure though, i'm quite taken with the Greek/Cyprus cuisine. I'll have to research Souvlaki ready intime for the CR0 BBQ!

:)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 08:36 PM »
No problem Phil, what you describe is almost the basic recipe I feel. Do you remember if lemon was involved in anyway?
I'm afraid I do not remember lemon being involved at all, but that may just be the effect of a 48-year time gap !  But I do have very good friends in Athens, and I think they may be able to help : I will ask.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 08:44 PM »
But I do have very good friends in Athens, and I think they may be able to help : I will ask.

That would be very helpful, thanks Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 09:00 AM »
worth a punt - is there anyone with pukka recipes for Kleftico or Afelia.

these along with souvlaki and moussaka are what i feel to be the best of greek dishes. i'm sorted on the other two but have never managed to get any legit recipe for the Kleftico or Afelia.

needs to be a 10/10 recipe something as good for example as 976bar's piri piri.

Hi Jerry, Haven't been on here for a while, but I also love Kleftico and having grown up with a greek lad who was my best friend for years, his dad owned the Appolonia greek restaurant in Hayes, where I worked as a wine waiter for 2 years when I was about 19.

This was their recipe for Kleftico, which was always mouth watering, succulent and the lamb just fell off the bone... see what you think :)

Kleftiko
 Greek Lamb Shanks or Leg

Ingredients
4 lamb shanks
2 onions ? sliced
4 cloves of garlic ? crushed
4 tsp oregano, (1 for each shank)
Olive oil
1 lemon
Kitchen Foil

Method
Get 2 sheets of foil per shank, put half a sliced onion in the foil.

Rub the lamb shank with a crushed clove of garlic and smother a little olive oil all over with your hands.

Place the shank on top of the onions and sprinkle 1 tsp oregano over the top or just rub 1tsp of oregano all over the shank.

Squeeze a little lemon juice on top, and then season with salt and pepper.

Wrap the shank well in the foil so no moisture escapes and bake in the oven at 150 deg C for 4 hours.

Once cooked, remove the shank from the foil, and pour the juices and onion into a pan and pour half a bottle of red wine into the pan. Simmer and reduce the liquid until you have a nice jus to pour over the meat.

Offline ootini

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 09:03 AM »
Hey guys! These recipes sound fantastic. Can I just ask, how many people will a single Lamb shank serve? The chef in Axe's video claims 12 people can be fed from four shanks, but that sounds pretty stingy to me.
Also, Axe, did you just make two wholes in each shank, stuff one with feta and one with garlic? Would it be worth making a few of each, or is just the one required?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 09:04 AM »
Traditional Kleftico should NOT have feta cheese in it!!!!

I love feta cheese and greek salads but not with lamb.....

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Hey guys! These recipes sound fantastic. Can I just ask, how many people will a single Lamb shank serve? The chef in Axe's video claims 12 people can be fed from four shanks, but that sounds pretty stingy to me.
Also, Axe, did you just make two wholes in each shank, stuff one with feta and one with garlic? Would it be worth making a few of each, or is just the one required?

It should be 1 lamb shank per person as you would get in a restaurant :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 11:40 AM »
I made two holes and stuffed both with Feta and Garlic. I have to say that I am not sure what the feta brought to this particular version of the dish. There certainly wasn't enough to really notice it. Either way, it was very nice.

I love lamb and one shank was perfect, though it is alot of meat. There is no way 4 shanks would serve 12 people though. The wife didn't manage to eat a whole shank and shared some with my eldest daughter, who seems to be at the teenage bottomless pit stage!

Thanks for posting the recipe 976bar, it sounds very rustic indeed. I'm sure Jerry will be pleased, I will certainly try it out next time round.
 :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Axe, 976bar,

much appreciate your help. the 976bar seems very close to what i have in mind and will try out.

will have a good read up on the website link provided by axe above (looks good).

the souvlaki is very good for bbq served in pitta with salad. recipe for 4 as a main is in a bowl add: salt (~1/2 tsp), black pepper (~1/4 tsp), oregano (1 tbsp dried), juice one lemon, pomace olive oil (1 tbsp), give it a taste then add cubed pork (700g to 1 kg) and leave to marinade (24hrs to 3 d). put on skewers and bbq.

ps that pirgos looks worth a try in time.

©2024 Curry Recipes