Author Topic: Any Greek chefs on the site - Kleftico and Afelia  (Read 27987 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Any Greek chefs on the site - Kleftico and Afelia
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Beef Stifado done! Bloody gorgeous quite simply!

Bob, what other recipes are you hiding, this was another blinder!

Served it with a Greek Salad: cucumber, onion, roasted pepper, cherry tomato, feta, oregano, salt n pepper and some Med. Bread from Asda.

The only problem is that I still want more!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2011, 06:03 AM »
Beef Stifado done! Bloody gorgeous quite simply!

Bob, what other recipes are you hiding, this was another blinder!

Served it with a Greek Salad: cucumber, onion, roasted pepper, cherry tomato, feta, oregano, salt n pepper and some Med. Bread from Asda.

The only problem is that I still want more!

:) Glad you enjoyed it.... Well I do have a fantastic recipe for Baklava that wonderful Greek desert..... but I'm just about to leave for Florida, so I'll post it when I get there :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Hi Bob/Axe,

Well, I also had a go at the Stifado, which turned out simply beautiful, invoking fond memories of Cyprus.

I did however, make a couple of changes but still very in-keeping with the recipe.

1) I added a tbs of tom puree during the cooking as it didn't have that tomatoey flavour that I remembered, probably because I used salad toms instead of good quality ones, mainly because my local Asda had sold out of all the decent tomatoes.

2) I also gave it a good splash of Worcestershire sauce toward the end, just to enhance the toms again really.

3) I did spoon off quite a bit of the oil before serving, as it was a touch too oily for my taste.

I served it with boiled Marilyn Potatoes, dressed with a garlic and Parsley butter dressing, mixed through with some grilled Halloumi cheese.

Wonderfull dish, and a lovely alternative form the usual Saturday night curry.

Many thanks,

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2011, 11:34 AM »
I did spoon off quite a bit of the oil before serving

Yes, I had to do this to but I have retained the excess oil as it tastes fantastic.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Malc,

Yes, I had to do this to but I have retained the excess oil as it tastes fantastic.

With one or two additions, it would make an awesome salad dressing.

Which did you prefer Malc, the Stifado or the Kleftico?

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2011, 12:09 PM »
With one or two additions, it would make an awesome salad dressing.

Which did you prefer Malc, the Stifado or the Kleftico?

Not sure how I will use the remaining oil yet, but it will be to cook another dish inplace of fresh oil.

Which do I prefer? There's no contest, both are equally as good, I really couldn't say one was better than the other. I intend to do both on a regular basis, even to the degree that it will be replacing typical Sunday dinners!

What surprised me the most, was how well the salad went with the rich casseroled beef, even with a squeeze of fresh lemon over it. It opened my eyes, that's for sure.

I should add that I did add a cinnamon stick to the Stifado. I will also try adding wild oregano next time too. Next up will be bob's Kleftiko recipe, to the letter.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2011, 10:18 AM »
I intend to do both on a regular basis, even to the degree that it will be replacing typical Sunday dinners!

my family have to eat out to get a roast (except xmas). stifado pics look the business. the salad has caught my eye too and will go for it myself on stifado sunday of course.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2011, 11:12 AM »
Thanks Jerry, I think we will be cutting back on Sunday roasts quite considerably. Especially with the summer on it's way. I thought I would miss a good old roast but I am actually enjoying the change.
With the salad I peeled and cored the cucumber to reduce the moisture. I have to peel it as this always repeats on me otherwise. I also sprinkled a little red wine vinegar over it as well as lemon juice, tossed it and allowed it to rest for 30mins before serving.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Just got back from Greece and loved the Kleftico! so will be hitting this recipe asap! thanks JM and bob, JM how did you do your vegetables with this dish?

Cheers UB.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2012, 06:04 PM »
UB,

i use what's called Hortarika Briam (baked veg in tom sauce)

for 5 to 6. it's really versatile so just adjust as you want.

1 kg potatoes
2 courgette
2 aubergine (4 toms or 1 off 400g tin)
1 or 2 peppers
a little olive oil
3 onions
1tsp mint (or oregano/marjoram or mix)
salt/black pepper touch

slice the lot thin/medium (3-5mm). then put in baking dish. add some water just to cover. bake 90 mins at 170C.

often we make it just with whole carrot, potato, onion, tomato - even use it for roast

it's all a bit like pasta bake

©2024 Curry Recipes