Author Topic: Todays Saturday kitchen - Indian Special  (Read 6730 times)

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Todays Saturday kitchen - Indian Special
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 10:47 AM »
any open plan ones I've witnessed used fresh oil. That's not to say the others don't re-use the oil. Maybe it someting they would rather keep behind closed doors anyway.

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 11:48 AM »
any open plan ones I've witnessed used fresh oil. That's not to say the others don't re-use the oil. Maybe it someting they would rather keep behind closed doors anyway.

The recipies that MarkJ posted a while back after being invited inside the kitchen of his BIR were freshj oil ones.

One thing we all need to keep in perspective is that there is quite a wide variation in taste between BIRs. In central Oxford, there are loads of them and none of them are identical. A few are atrocious, the rest are pretty good and pretty similar, but not exactly the same. I'm sure some use fresh oil and some don't - and this might well result in slightly different flavours.

If the BIR you are trying to mimmick is one that re-uses oil, thenn perhaps you need to re-use oil to mimmick it. The dishes I'm cooking at home now are probably not exactly the same as any one particular BIR in Oxford (but then they are not the same as each other eight), but they're very similar to all of them, and would definatley pass for a BIR dish from any of them.

My experiences are that the BIR taste I'm after is not one that requiers re-use of oil, but perhaps I shouldn't be so dismissive of the need for oil re-use in other circumstances.

However, I really don't think its important. The important things are a good pan, a good  flame, and consistency in cooking technique - adding the ingredients at the right time, not too soon, not too late - and keeping the temperature up. Its important to be consistent with the quantities used as well.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 12:37 PM »
The recipies that MarkJ posted a while back after being invited inside the kitchen of his BIR were freshj oil ones.
Hi Folks,

I thought that at the time, its hard to tell when it comes out of a ghee pot. I know someone who works there now and he has told me they do skim off the oil and reuse it

cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes