Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Massala Group Test  (Read 33020 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Massala Group Test
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Dish a week sounds good, and I can also vouch for Lorrydoo's recipe.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Hi Chris

If you could pm me the recipe please.

with regards to group testing, surely doing it this way first will give us a preferred dish that we could then work on 'tweaking' the recipe if it is not quite there?  Either way not everyone is going to be happy.  This is the way I have always found my preferred recipes as it gives me a side by side comparison of dishes without having to try to remember what the previous ctm I cooked was like 3 weeks ago!

Regards

Barry

p.s. tried lorrydoo's CTM and was not a big fan but happy to do again :)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 10:15 PM »
How can you have a group test of the best recipe's on cr0 whilst dropping lorrydoos (probably the most popular on here) and then use an as yet unposted & untried (by cr0 members) recipe (chriswgs)? ::)??...?

I agree with Phils post of maybe one recipe per week, I think it would get a very good response ;)

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 11:13 PM »
I don't think that I ever tasted a recipe close to a BIR CTM until I found the Lorrydoo one on this forum , the tomato soup was the taste that every other recipe was missing for me , it's like a Korma without the cocconut where I come from, it's just not the same, though I will admit that maybe there are regional differences, I tried a chicken chasni recipe from here and it was so sickly sweet that I am sure that I was doing something wrong, then again any country that batters and fries Mars bars has a sweet tooth.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 09:33 AM »

I think your suggestions are good and have clear benefits, but I think we really need to establish what is the objective of these group tests - is it to find the best recipe of a particular dish or is it to merely have a collaborative review of a given dish? If it's the former, then I think reviewing a different dish (different curry, not a different recipe of the same curry) each week/fortnight doesn't really help us, as it would take so long to get through the top 5/6 recipes of a particular dish. However, if it is the latter then I think your suggestions are spot on.  :)

I think Chris needs to be the one that ultimately decides this. If Chris is open to changes then it is probably worth us opening another thread, as this one has been derailed a bit.  ;D

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 02:00 PM »
With regard to Kushi CTM:

Please let us know how you get on with this one.Being re-reading the Kushi book recently and was going to have a go at this one myself.Some of the ingredients are a bit elusive and the recipe is a bit long winded,so I havn't got round to it yet.If it's a winner though it will be well worth the effort.

Hi JB

Sorry, missed your post, will report back when made of course :)

Cheers

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 02:12 PM »
Okay, thanks for all of your comments. I didn't realize Lorrydoo had such a cult following so of course we will keep it in the group test. I'll be delighted if it does well but having eaten Tomato soup based CTM before I'm not holding my breath. But this format has thrown up plenty of surprises before and I'm sure it will again.

Regarding the way the recipes are tested, you just cant beat a side by side analysis. I agree a group concerted effort to review a dish is also a good idea, it is also a very different idea and should be treated as such. I'm sure Stew will be happy to set up a new area of the site if someone wants to step forward and run with it. I'll be happy to cook and review a dish if it gets off the ground.

For the group tests, I'm really pleased with how the results have worked in the past and I don't think this will be any exception. Its an afternoons 'work' to get them all made but invite a couple of mates around to help, drink a few beers and it becomes quite good fun. Especially the testing part. I'll often try each version 2 or 3 times to pick an ultimate winner in the taste category.

So we have 5 testers, 5 recipes and the normal format. I'll PM my recipe to those that don't have it. Assuming Az is okay with it, I'll post it afterwards.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Thanks for PMing the recipe.

Presumably we are using the one base and spice mix again?

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 05:29 PM »
I am. No doubt people will moan but they aren't the ones putting in the hard graft.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 06:25 PM »
hI

Very well put chris and I totally agree with your comments.  would also be happy to participate in a 'dish a week' if someone sets it up!

I will be using taz base and mix for all.

Barry

©2024 Curry Recipes