Author Topic: Base Sauce - Large Batches  (Read 3578 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Base Sauce - Large Batches
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Having been associated with this site for some 4-5 years now, I started out with the SNS base, then tried a few others, then went to Coryanders, and have finally settled on Taz's base which does it for me.

However, I have only made it in one off batches, and have modified it slightly to include more onions plus a few other things.

I have a function coming up shortly where I said I would cater for between 30-50 people. It will be an all Indian fare, and I was just wondering whether anyone has made large quantities of any base sauces in one go?

I would imagine the vegetable, water ratio section would remain the same, but is there a need for an oil reduction or spice reduction when making large quantities? or do you need to increase?

Has anyone else had experience in this, and if so, did you use the same quantities as a single batch or did you modify it?, what did it turn out like, and given that if you were to do it again, would you change anything?

Answers on a postcard please!! lol :)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Base Sauce - Large Batches
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:39 PM »
I used to make up x3 of KD1 almost weekly and have done x3 Bruce Edwards once. I just did a straight multiple of the base recipes and they worked fine. I have used them for individual curries and curries using the entire base with no problems.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 05:00 PM »
I have a function coming up shortly where I said I would cater for between 30-50 people. It will be an all Indian fare ...
You are a brave, brave, man.  No suggestions regarding bulk bases ('though I can't see why anything should be scaled down), but very sincere best wishes for success.
** Phil.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Bloody hell that is a lot of people!  :o

I've made a double batch of a number bases (SNS, CA, Razor, Taz, etc) and they turned out fine. However, I've never gone beyond that, so wouldn't be able to advise on producing a 3x, 4x, etc. base.

Good luck!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 10:36 PM »
I don't know what your background is so my apologies if i'm over stepping the mark, but if your catering for up to 50 people, wouldn't it be better to bulk cook 2 or 3 different curries, rather than making a base and cooking 50 individual ones?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:04 AM »
Hi Axe,

I'm not a chef but have had a passion for cooking just about anything over the past 30 years. I am contemplating 3 or 4 dishes at the moment in bulk. Probably a Chicken Korma for the kids, a Chicken Tikka Masala for the women, a Garlic Chilli Chicken for those who like it hotter and a Lamb Madras or Rogan Josh for some variety. I don't think I'll bother with prawns as I think that by cooking such a large batch they will tend to become a bit hard and chewy if left sitting around, they are one ingredient that needs to be eaten as soon as it is prepared.

Probably, bhajis, pakoras, samosas and popadums for nibbles along with various chutneys and mint sauces, Indian salad etc, and some sort of aloo gobi to acompany the main dishes, might even make a vegetable curry too...

I have a little time to prep, so food for thought as they say :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:21 PM »
That's an impressive list of dishes etc. I wish the best of luck with your endeavors. I hope you get time to take some photos.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 03:53 PM »
As Axe as stated i have made curries for a local college and a couple of functions for about the same amount of people.

For instance i have used this recipe for CTM http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1823.0
This recipe fro me made about 8-10 servings.I made the whole lot from start to finish but didnt add any chicken, precook the chicken tikka easier to just warm through than cook from scratch with everything else you have to do.

For the madras have use this recipe http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=674.0
again for about 8-10 servings, just precook all your meat.
As  for the bhajis etc make in advance then warm through in an oven.

That is what i did just precooked everything then just heated through at the venue.
I made

Onion salad, tomato and coriander salad, spicy onion salad

Cauliflower paratha, potato paratha and plain paratha
Naans

Onion Bhajis
Carrot, red pepper, green pepper, courgette, and mushroom pakoras
sheesh Kebab, Shami Kebab
Lamb tikka and chicken tikka

CTM
Chicken Madras
Chicken Dopiaza
Chicken Dhansak