Author Topic: Group test scoring system  (Read 8197 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Group test scoring system
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Perhaps "BIR-like" (or words to that effect) should be an assessable attribute?  Perhaps this is what Phil means by "authenticity" (opposed to meaning that it resembles "authentic" or "traditional" Indian cuisine)?  In which case I agree.
Yes, "how BIR-like" is a better way of expressing "authenticity"; I didn't consider the ambiguity when I chose that word.

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 10:42 AM »
The reason why yours are longer is (I assume) in part down to the lack of availability of pastes in Oz. For example, to make your Tikka to spec from scratch (which I grudgingly did) you need:

About 1kg skinless, boneless chicken breasts (diced into about 1? inch cubes)
150g Greek (or plain) yoghurt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
1 tbsp tomato paste (double concentrated)
1 tsp mint jelly (NOT mint sauce in vinegar)
1 tsp mild curry powder (any decent one will do)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala (any decent one will do)
1/2 tsp salt
2 chopped red chillies (optional)
Approximately 120ml milk
40g (about 8 teaspoons) coriander powder
30g (about 6 teaspoons) cumin powder
40g (about 8 teaspoons) garlic powder (not garlic salt!)
40g (about 8 teaspoons) ground paprika
20g (about 5 teaspoons) ginger powder
20g (about 5 teaspoons) mango powder
20g (about 5 teaspoons) dried mint leaves (finely ground)
10g (about 2 teaspoons) chilli powder (optional)
10g (about 2 teaspoons) powdered red food colouring (optional)
5g   (about 1 teaspoon) powdered yellow food colouring (optional)

Compared to dips that uses paste:

- 1kg chicken pieces (on the bone)
- 1 tbsp garlic/ginger paste
- 1.5 tbsp mix powder
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp kashmiri masala paste (Patak)
- 2 tbsp tandoori paste (Pasco)
- 2.5 tbsp tikka paste (Patak)
- 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp red powdered food colouring
- 2 tsp lemon dressing
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves

But just based on the above, I would find Cory Ander's both simpler and cheaper to make than Dipuraja's, because I would already have all the necessary spices in my cupboard.  As soon as someone specifies a paste, I have to make a special trip to Ashford to source it, which adds considerably to time, expense and complexity.  There is also the (apparently unconsidered) risk that a manufacturer of a paste may change the recipe over time : I tablespoon Degghi Mirch is going to be much the same year in, year out; 1 tablespoon Abdullah's Hyderabadi Tikka Paste may well change quite significantly over time.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:30 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Hi Phil

Very reasonable point you make, however that goes to show just how varied the scores will be depending on a persons standard larder.

Where you seem to prefer not to use pastes it would seem, the next guy may have a common selection them as a standard in their curry arsenal and would not considder aquisition of a reasonably standard set as such an extra burden.

For example I always have at least Kashmiri & Tikka pastes in stock plus others frequently too.

It is also possible that these products will be altered over time by the manufacturer, however we know that many BIR's use them, so their restaurant produce will also alter over time too, so at least us home cooks would probably be in sync with the changing highstreet.

Cheers

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Can I suggest, whilst the debate continues, that we drop the use of the 'Total' column all together. I feel it is this that is the route of the problem.

We could also display the tables slightly differently by grouping them by category rather than recipe. i.e.

Either way, I would happy to make any relevant changes to the tables if required and above all, happy to go with the consensus.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Quote from: chris
It's a shame you don't post much any more apart from to reply to posts people make about your recipes

I can't be bothered with most of the stuff on the forum anymore, but I do feel obliged to respond to, and to clarify, my posted recipes.

Your arguments are usually well considered and backed up, rather than moaning for the sake of it as some trolls do

And that statement infers that I am a troll (which I object to).  My understanding of "a troll" is someone who posts off-topic stuff in order to solicit an emotive - though I hope mine was an objective - response.  You know, chris, as you're doing  :-\

Anyway, sorry to pick on your recipes but my point was that ease to make is as important as taste for me (assuming the result is still very tasty). I'd happily do 20 minutes less prep for a result that is 95% as good as a long recipe

Then eat Vesta or Uncle Ben's/Pataks "cook in the pot" curry sauces then.

The reason why yours are longer is (I assume) in part down to the lack of availability of pastes in Oz

Totally wrong!  In fact, one of the main reasons why Oz curries are nowhere near as good a UK curries is PRECISELY because they rely on using commercial pastes!  Perhaps it's the same in the UK now?

If you can get those three pastes over there I suggest you give his recipe a go and compare it to yours

Don't be so condescending. Of course I can get those pastes here, and I have tried the recipes using them.  The results, in my opinion, are far inferior.....maybe it's all down to a generation gap then?   ::)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:54 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Can I suggest, whilst the debate continues, that we drop the use of the 'Total' column all together. I feel it is this that is the route of the problem.

We could also display the tables slightly differently by grouping them by category rather than recipe. i.e.

Either way, I would happy to make any relevant changes to the tables if required and above all, happy to go with the consensus.

Hi Axe

Persoanally happy with your suggestions and to go with the majority.

Feel a little awkward on this one, as one of my recipes was a participant, and did not want to be seen to be attempting to bias the results in my favour.

I really am, not like that! and as we all know these tests are just an indication and 'a bit of fun' :)

All the best.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 09:50 PM »
The reason why yours are longer is (I assume) in part down to the lack of availability of pastes in Oz. For example, to make your Tikka to spec from scratch (which I grudgingly did) you need:

About 1kg skinless, boneless chicken breasts (diced into about 1? inch cubes)
150g Greek (or plain) yoghurt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
1 tbsp tomato paste (double concentrated)
1 tsp mint jelly (NOT mint sauce in vinegar)
1 tsp mild curry powder (any decent one will do)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala (any decent one will do)
1/2 tsp salt
2 chopped red chillies (optional)
Approximately 120ml milk
40g (about 8 teaspoons) coriander powder
30g (about 6 teaspoons) cumin powder
40g (about 8 teaspoons) garlic powder (not garlic salt!)
40g (about 8 teaspoons) ground paprika
20g (about 5 teaspoons) ginger powder
20g (about 5 teaspoons) mango powder
20g (about 5 teaspoons) dried mint leaves (finely ground)
10g (about 2 teaspoons) chilli powder (optional)
10g (about 2 teaspoons) powdered red food colouring (optional)
5g   (about 1 teaspoon) powdered yellow food colouring (optional)

Compared to dips that uses paste:

- 1kg chicken pieces (on the bone)
- 1 tbsp garlic/ginger paste
- 1.5 tbsp mix powder
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp kashmiri masala paste (Patak)
- 2 tbsp tandoori paste (Pasco)
- 2.5 tbsp tikka paste (Patak)
- 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp red powdered food colouring
- 2 tsp lemon dressing
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves

But just based on the above, I would find Cory Ander's both simpler and cheaper to make than Dipuraja's, because I would already have all the necessary spices in my cupboard.  As soon as someone specifies a paste, I have to make a special trip to Ashford to source it, which adds considerably to time, expense and complexity.  There is also the (apparently unconsidered) risk that a manufacturer of a paste may change the recipe over time : I tablespoon Degghi Mirch is going to be much the same year in, year out; 1 tablespoon Abdullah's Hyderabadi Tikka Paste may well change quite significantly over time.

** Phil.

I agree totally with this.  I live in Yorkshire and cannot source pataks kashmiri paste without travelling over 20 miles to Sheffield, but I can make most of CA's dishes to spec which I frequently do by going to the local Asian supermarkets.  I have seen all the pastes in Oz in Woolworths.  I was going to go & live there until house price/ financial meltdown of the UK ? put a temporary end to it.  Hopefully the pound will recover in the next 2 years 8) before my visa runs out :-\.  Also I would like to see more emphasis on Taste & Authenticity than cost.

cheers

Will

©2024 Curry Recipes