Author Topic: Kris Dhillon Curry Gravy  (Read 44703 times)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Kris Dhillon Curry Gravy
« on: November 04, 2005, 08:00 AM »
This is the KD base sauce from the restaurant curry secret book.

How To Make The Curry Sauce

For approximately eight main course dishes.
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hr 30 minutes approx.

2 lb (900g) cooking onions
2 oz (50g) green ginger
2 oz (50g) garlic
2? pint (I litre 570ml) water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tin (8oz/225g) tomatoes
8 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon tomato puree
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika

Stage One

Peel and rinse the onions, ginger, and garlic. Slice the onions and roughly chop the ginger and garlic.
Put the ginger and garlic into a blender with about ? pint of the water and blend until smooth.
Take a large saucepan and put into it the onions, the blended garlic and ginger, and the remainder of the water.
Add the salt and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to very low and simmer, with the lid on, for 40-45 minutes.
Leave to cool.

Stage Two

Once cooled, pour half the boiled onion mixture into a blender and blend until perfectly smooth. Absolute smoothness is essential. To be certain, blend for at least two minutes. Pour the blended onion mixture into a clean pan or bowl and repeat with the other half of the boiled onion mixture.
Wash and dry the saucepan. Reserve about four tablespoons of the sauce at this stage to use in cooking the chicken and lamb.
Freezing. Freezing is best done at this stage.

Stage Three

Open the can of tomatoes, put into the rinsed blender jug, and blend. Again, it is important that they are blended perfectly smooth, so blend for two minutes.
Into the clean saucepan, pour the oil, tomato puree, turmeric, and paprika.
Add the blended tomatoes and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for ten minutes.
Now add the onion mixture to the saucepan and bring to the boil again. Turn down the heat enough to keep the sauce at a simmer.
You will notice at this stage that a froth rises to the surface of the sauce. This needs to be skimmed off.
Keep simmering for 20-25 minutes. Stirring now and again to prevent the sauce sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
Use immediately or cool and refrigerate for up to four days.

Offline steve e

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Dhillon Curry Gravy
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 08:16 AM »
Hi Pete,
Thought you might like to take a look at this site on mauiritun recipes in particular the curry
gravy recipe carbon copy of the one you posted, I have tried it and it is good, http://ile-maurice.tripod.com/ Go to main page then click on curry powder paste and sauce.By the way cant find your madras/vindaloo recipe.
Steve e  ;)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 12:54 PM »
Hi Pete,
Thought you might like to take a look at this site on mauiritun recipes in particular the curry
gravy recipe carbon copy of the one you posted, I have tried it and it is good, http://ile-maurice.tripod.com/

My guess is that the 'Mauritian' recipe came from Kris Dhillon's book and not the other way round!

Regards
George

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 01:04 PM »
Hi Pete,
Thought you might like to take a look at this site on mauiritun recipes
.By the way cant find your madras/vindaloo recipe.
Steve e? ;)
Hi Steve
? ? ? ? ? ?Thanks for the link
I think the Kris Dhillon curry gravy is the original recipe
The Kris Dhillon book is in our download section.
My madras demo/recipe is here
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=536.0
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 01:07 PM by pete »

Offline strats

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 04:35 PM »
;D hello all curry fans. I am a new member and came across this site from uktv food message board.I saw the basic curry gravy , it turns out I already have the curry secret book by Kris dhillon.small world!! I did cook a madras a while ago but wonder if you have a good take-away is it worth the bother of doing your own?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 04:53 PM »
Hi Strats,

Theres a few takeaways that I would rate very highly but when you eat 4\5 currys a week  ::) its not just the cost as much as wanting to just knock one up yourself when you feel like it.  I enjoy making currys and experimenting with different recipes and ideas most of which come from this forum, its a challenge to try and get yours perfect.

Happy currying  ;)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 06:40 PM »
if you have a good take-away is it worth the bother of doing your own?
It's a madness that overtakes you
It starts out as simple curiousity, but before long, you have more spices than you knew existed.
If it was easy to do (such as Italian or Chinese) this obsession would never get a foot hold.
But it's ridiculously hard although, we know, the solution is just within reach.

Offline poppadom_pete

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 07:48 PM »

Use immediately or cool and refrigerate for up to four days.

Can this base be frozen pete?

Cheers

Offline stevej

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 03:04 PM »
As above,

I am making a base right as I type. But have an urgent question.

Can any base be frozen after adding the tomato stage, or does it have to be before? How long can the frozen base be kept? and how long can the spice oil be kept safely?

Thanks

Steve

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 03:38 PM »
The base can be frozen at any stage. I've frozen some for a couple of months with little noticable difference to its taste.

The spice oil is a dodgy one. The strict answer would be something like a couple of days if refrigerated. However, I've had some in a bottle which I keep in the kitchen. I've been using it over the past two weeks and I ain't dead yet!? ?;)

©2024 Curry Recipes