Author Topic: Kris Dhillon Curry Gravy  (Read 24028 times)

Online Secret Santa

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Dhillon Curry Gravy
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Well the colour is more appealing to me than korma so that's a good start.

Did you resolve your problem with the graininess of the almond flour? And, blimey, that thread has over 17000 views! How popular is this concoction?  :o
Fighting for truth, justice and the BIR way!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2019, 11:16 PM »
Heat.  As Chewy pointed out.  The Almond powder will melt with enough heat.  He even suggested dissolving it in hot milk as part of prep.

The reason for it's popularity, I'd suggest , is simply because this dish recipe simply was not available online or in any book anywhere.  Lots and lots of people wanted to know how to reproduce it but it just wasn't there to be found.  It took me 20 years of searching before Chewytikka twigged as to what it was I was after.  The rest, as they say, is now history.  You'll see that I suggested a statue be made of CT for his contribution.

Obviously lots of Chefs in the IR industry knew what to do, but nobody else did. We do now.   The rubbish dish in the jar by the P people is awful.  There are recipes using green mango, mango chutneys and 1 even used mayonnaise. Hundreds of recipes for mango chicken exist, but they weren't the one.  This is it.  My daughters will attest it as they've endured 2 decades of failed attempts.  :)

It still doesn't come up in a google search though. :o  Unless you include BIR in the search.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online Secret Santa

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2019, 08:28 AM »
It doesn't surprise me all that much. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that korma and not CTM is the most popular dish in BIRs. But it pains me that the two dishes that really don't meet the test of being curries appear to be the favourites. As they say, there's no accounting for taste.  :-\

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
  • Who Cares Who Wins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 09:25 AM »
...Having said that it has reminded me that I have a tin of Alphonso puree sitting at the back of a cupboard just begging to be used...

Perhaps this tin was bought in anticipation of this?

Naga I like that recipe as it uses canned mangoes thereby taking away the guesswork of using fresh ones. How would you say it compares to the shop bought varieties of mango chutney?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
  • Blessèd are those with an open mind ...
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hôi~An Restaurant
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 09:32 AM »
...Having said that it has reminded me that I have a tin of Alphonso puree sitting at the back of a cupboard just begging to be used...

Don't waste it in a curry, Santa — it is just begging to be used in a mango lassi, surely one of the finest and most refreshing drinks ever invented.  Equal parts of Lidl full-fat Greek yoghurt, Rubicon Deluxe Mango drink, Alphonso or Kesar mango purée and ice.  Smash the ice cubes using pulse mode in a powerful jug blender, then hit the smoothie button and wait for it to stop.  One mouthful and you will think you are in Heaven.

** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons and/or emoji that it contains.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 09:37 AM »
If the tin is like the ones I get, there'll be enough for both.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 09:39 AM »
True !
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons and/or emoji that it contains.

Online Secret Santa

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Perhaps this tin was bought in anticipation of this?

LOL!  ;D

No, this particular tin has indeed been sitting for a while, but it doesn't date from 2014. Not that that would stop me from using it mind.

Don't waste it in a curry, Santa — it is just begging to be used in a mango lassi , surely one of the finest and most refreshing drinks ever invented.

Ah, now you're talking! As livo says, this tin is big enough for both tasks but I don't have the Rubicon Deluxe Mango drink so it'll have to wait. It is ideal though because I just couldn't think of what to use a full can in. Now I know.

I actually bought it in the first place to add to the mint raita that usually gets served with poppadoms in BIRs.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 10:02 AM »
Ah, now you're talking! As livo says, this tin is big enough for both tasks but I don't have the Rubicon Deluxe Mango drink so it'll have to wait.

Do you have a  (cough, splutter, embarrassed look) "Home Bargains" near you ?  If so, they should have it, at far less than list price.  List is £1.69, I have bought it at £1.50 for two in Truro and £1.00 each in Bodmin.  Also comes in guava and lychee flavours, all three being delicious.  Sadly ratty ate half of my stock when I left them in the garage — I had bought so many packs at £1.50 for 2 that there was insufficient room for them in the house !
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:31 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online Secret Santa

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2019, 10:19 AM »
Do you have a  (cough, sputter, embarrassed look) "Home Bargains" near you ?

I do indeed. Thanks for the tip. And I'm a regular anyway as I get my chia seeds, jalapeños and brown basmati rice from there.

©2020 Curry Recipes