Author Topic: Kris Dhillon Curry Gravy  (Read 44697 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Dhillon Curry Gravy
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Well the colour is more appealing to me than korma so that's a good start.

Did you resolve your problem with the graininess of the almond flour? And, blimey, that thread has over 17000 views! How popular is this concoction?  :o

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2019, 11:16 PM »
Heat.  As Chewy pointed out.  The Almond powder will melt with enough heat.  He even suggested dissolving it in hot milk as part of prep.

The reason for it's popularity, I'd suggest , is simply because this dish recipe simply was not available online or in any book anywhere.  Lots and lots of people wanted to know how to reproduce it but it just wasn't there to be found.  It took me 20 years of searching before Chewytikka twigged as to what it was I was after.  The rest, as they say, is now history.  You'll see that I suggested a statue be made of CT for his contribution.

Obviously lots of Chefs in the IR industry knew what to do, but nobody else did. We do now.   The rubbish dish in the jar by the P people is awful.  There are recipes using green mango, mango chutneys and 1 even used mayonnaise. Hundreds of recipes for mango chicken exist, but they weren't the one.  This is it.  My daughters will attest it as they've endured 2 decades of failed attempts.  :)

It still doesn't come up in a google search though. :o  Unless you include BIR in the search.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2019, 08:28 AM »
It doesn't surprise me all that much. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that korma and not CTM is the most popular dish in BIRs. But it pains me that the two dishes that really don't meet the test of being curries appear to be the favourites. As they say, there's no accounting for taste.  :-\

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 09:25 AM »
...Having said that it has reminded me that I have a tin of Alphonso puree sitting at the back of a cupboard just begging to be used...

Perhaps this tin was bought in anticipation of this?

Naga I like that recipe as it uses canned mangoes thereby taking away the guesswork of using fresh ones. How would you say it compares to the shop bought varieties of mango chutney?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 09:32 AM »
...Having said that it has reminded me that I have a tin of Alphonso puree sitting at the back of a cupboard just begging to be used...

Don't waste it in a curry, Santa

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 09:37 AM »
If the tin is like the ones I get, there'll be enough for both.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 09:39 AM »
True !

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Perhaps this tin was bought in anticipation of this?

LOL!  ;D

No, this particular tin has indeed been sitting for a while, but it doesn't date from 2014. Not that that would stop me from using it mind.

Don't waste it in a curry, Santa

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 10:02 AM »
Ah, now you're talking! As livo says, this tin is big enough for both tasks but I don't have the Rubicon Deluxe Mango drink so it'll have to wait.

Do you have a  (cough, splutter, embarrassed look) "Home Bargains" near you ?  If so, they should have it, at far less than list price.  List is
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:31 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2019, 10:19 AM »
Do you have a  (cough, sputter, embarrassed look) "Home Bargains" near you ?

I do indeed. Thanks for the tip. And I'm a regular anyway as I get my chia seeds, jalape

©2024 Curry Recipes