Author Topic: Chicken tikka/tandoori without pataks paste  (Read 10598 times)

Offline missy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken tikka/tandoori without pataks paste
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Hi everyone

Anyone have a decent recipe to marinade chicken tikka/ tandoori without using pataks tandoori paste? It's so expensive to buy a jar of it in Thailand and most of the recipes on here have very complicated ingredients and I need to keep it fairly simple.

Thanks

Appreciate your comments

Phil

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken tikka/tandoori without pataks paste
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Anyone have a decent recipe to marinade chicken tikka/ tandoori without using pataks tandoori paste? It's so expensive to buy a jar of it in Thailand and most of the recipes on here have very complicated ingredients and I need to keep it fairly simple.

In the past I might have referred you to my own two recipes for chicken tikka and tandoori chicken (two different recipes, reflecting a personal belief that the two are spiced differently) but my last attempts using these were not as successful as previously (for reasons that are unclear) so I am no longer as confident as I was of their merits.  So if you cannot locate a paste-free recipe here, you might like to consider trying to replicate Patak's pastes from scratch : invest in one jar of each, so you have something with which to compare, then using the ingredients as listed experiment to see how faithfully you can replicate them.

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 11:44 AM »
Hi everyone

Thanks

Appreciate your comments

Phil

Hi Missy,

If you use Blades recipe for Chicken Tikka on this site and instead of using Pataks Tandoori paste, use CA's tandoori spice mix as below mixed with oil to make a paste, you will find it makes an excellent Chicken Tikka/Tandoori marinade :)

Tandoori Masala Spice Mix

Ingredients:
40g (about 8 teaspoons) coriander powder
30g (about 6 teaspoons) cumin powder
40g (about 8 teaspoons) garlic powder (not garlic salt!)
40g (about 8 teaspoons) ground paprika
20g (about 5 teaspoons) ginger powder
20g (about 5 teaspoons) mango powder
20g (about 5 teaspoons) dried mint leaves (finely ground)
10g (about 2 teaspoons) chilli powder (optional)
10g (about 2 teaspoons) powdered red food colouring (optional)
5g   (about 1 teaspoon) powdered yellow food colouring (optional)
Method

1.  Simply add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly

2.  Store in a clean, sterilised, air-tight, jar in a cool, dark, place and out of direct sunlight

Notes

1. If you are unable to weigh to the required accuracy, use 1tsp = 5g (approximately)

2.  If any of the ingredients are too course (e.g. the mint leaves or garlic granules), grind them beforehand in a spice mill

3.  Half the quantities of artificial food colouring for a less vibrant colour

4.  If you are averse to using artificial food colourings (the colouring is aesthetic only anyway), either omit them or replace them with natural food colourings

5.  If you wish to use natural food colours, replace the artificial colours with 20g (about 4 teaspoons) of beetroot powder + 10g (about 2 teaspoons) of anatto seed powder

Offline missy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 12:04 PM »
Hi everyone

Thanks

Appreciate your comments

Phil

Hi Missy,

If you use Blades recipe for Chicken Tikka on this site and instead of using Pataks Tandoori paste, use CA's tandoori spice mix as below mixed with oil to make a paste, you will find it makes an excellent Chicken Tikka/Tandoori marinade :)

Tandoori Masala Spice Mix

Ingredients:
40g (about 8 teaspoons) coriander powder
30g (about 6 teaspoons) cumin powder
40g (about 8 teaspoons) garlic powder (not garlic salt!)
40g (about 8 teaspoons) ground paprika
20g (about 5 teaspoons) ginger powder
20g (about 5 teaspoons) mango powder
20g (about 5 teaspoons) dried mint leaves (finely ground)
10g (about 2 teaspoons) chilli powder (optional)
10g (about 2 teaspoons) powdered red food colouring (optional)
5g   (about 1 teaspoon) powdered yellow food colouring (optional)
Method

1.  Simply add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly

2.  Store in a clean, sterilised, air-tight, jar in a cool, dark, place and out of direct sunlight

Notes

1. If you are unable to weigh to the required accuracy, use 1tsp = 5g (approximately)

2.  If any of the ingredients are too course (e.g. the mint leaves or garlic granules), grind them beforehand in a spice mill

3.  Half the quantities of artificial food colouring for a less vibrant colour

4.  If you are averse to using artificial food colourings (the colouring is aesthetic only anyway), either omit them or replace them with natural food colourings

5.  If you wish to use natural food colours, replace the artificial colours with 20g (about 4 teaspoons) of beetroot powder + 10g (about 2 teaspoons) of anatto seed powder

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try next time.

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 02:32 PM »
I agree that a jar of pataks from villa supermarket at 240 bht (around a fiver) is expensive compared to the UK, but the amount that you use in the recipes like Blade's at one tablespoon per batch makes that jar go a long way, also do you not have any friends that either holiday in Thailand or Expats that have to travel back to the UK to get a new Visa or for other reasons, if so get them to bring a few jars back, that's what I do, top of the list everytime is poppadoms can't get them here only pappads which always taste like toasted fish to me for some reason   

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 06:56 PM »
I have a quick fix recipe that works quite well, it isn't re-writing the rule books but it's good. No real measurements i'm afraid, as I do this to eye. I aim to get a very thin coating on the chicken.

Tandoori Masala (Rajah)
IG Spice Mix
Chilli Powder
Lemon Juice
Mustard Oil
Yoghurt

Equal quantities of the powdered spices sprinkled over the top of the chicken, Then a drizzle of the mustard oil a squirt of lemon and a drop of yoghurt. The idea is to get a thin coating of a fairly thick marinade. If I had to guestimate, 1 tablespoon of each for two chicken breasts.

Offline missy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:24 AM »
I agree that a jar of pataks from villa supermarket at 240 bht (around a fiver) is expensive compared to the UK, but the amount that you use in the recipes like Blade's at one tablespoon per batch makes that jar go a long way, also do you not have any friends that either holiday in Thailand or Expats that have to travel back to the UK to get a new Visa or for other reasons, if so get them to bring a few jars back, that's what I do, top of the list everytime is poppadoms can't get them here only pappads which always taste like toasted fish to me for some reason
Hi Thaiexpat

I'm opening an Indian/ Thai takeaway and delivery shop and if I use expensive products like pataks the costs massively go up and would have to charge the customers more. But yea, if it was simply for me I would buy pataks products and use it in most things, and if you go back to the UK anytime soon please bring me back a few jars ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:22 AM »
CA's and Lasan tikka don't use pataks and are every bit (if not better) than most patak related tikka recipes.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1555.0
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4182.0

the key ingredients to keep in mind (in no order): lime juice, mustard oil, tamerind, black cumin, asian bay, salt.

my fav at the mo is ifindforu - i make it weekly. although this uses pataks i am convinced as good can be made by substituting in a few ingredients.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4968.msg48047#msg48047

it's best to taste the as made tikka paste before adding the meat and refine over a number of makes.

this is a cross reference to the patak ingredients. if you copy into spreadsheet it will make sense.

tikka   tandoori   kashmiri
coriander   y   y   y
cumin   y   y   n
veg oil   y   n   y
salt   y   y   y
tamerind   y   y   n
acetic acid   y   y   y
paprika   y   y   n
spices inc mustard   y   n   y
spices   n   y   n
maize starch   y   n   n
ginger   y   y   y
garlic   y   y   y
citric acid   y   n   n
lactic acid   y   y   n
colour red   n   y   n
chilli   n   n   y

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Hi Missy, there was a recipe posted here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5774.0 not long ago.  I haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for it, but you might like to try it and report back on your findings?

Offline missy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 10:56 AM »
CA's and Lasan tikka don't use pataks and are every bit (if not better) than most patak related tikka recipes.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1555.0
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4182.0

the key ingredients to keep in mind (in no order): lime juice, mustard oil, tamerind, black cumin, asian bay, salt.

my fav at the mo is ifindforu - i make it weekly. although this uses pataks i am convinced as good can be made by substituting in a few ingredients.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4968.msg48047#msg48047

it's best to taste the as made tikka paste before adding the meat and refine over a number of makes.

this is a cross reference to the patak ingredients. if you copy into spreadsheet it will make sense.

tikka   tandoori   kashmiri
coriander   y   y   y
cumin   y   y   n
veg oil   y   n   y
salt   y   y   y
tamerind   y   y   n
acetic acid   y   y   y
paprika   y   y   n
spices inc mustard   y   n   y
spices   n   y   n
maize starch   y   n   n
ginger   y   y   y
garlic   y   y   y
citric acid   y   n   n
lactic acid   y   y   n
colour red   n   y   n
chilli   n   n   y

Thanks for that. I'll give CA's recipe a try. It looks like the most doable one!

©2024 Curry Recipes