Author Topic: 2 New Dishes?  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
2 New Dishes?
« on: May 09, 2011, 09:32 PM »
One of my favourite restaurants is Shanaz in Lewes (10 Miles away) but I only ever frequent it when the lads meet up for a pub crawl around the historic old town and home to Harvey's Brewery, so plenty on tap ;) .

Anyway, our fridge freezer has decided it doesn't want to be cold anymore so we have been doing the take-away scene whilst we await delivery of our new super duper wallet emptying replacement.

As I visit Lewes daily it made sense to take advantage an order out. This gave us the perfect opportunity to try something different. So Tonight among other things I ordered Muroog Pepper and Chicken Nabbabi.

The Muroog Pepper is described as being capsicum stuffed with chicken, steamed & then fried in ghee. It was fantastic, we got half a green pepper piled high with a minced chicken filling.

The Chicken Nabbabi is described chicken in a rich minced meat  sauce, very meaty. This too was fantastic, lamb mince in a thick sauce with sliced chicken tikka within it served with chunks of red and green pepper.

Both dishes were very moreish and definitely going to be enjoyed again. I did a quick google but was surprised to find few entries. Has anyone else had anything similar to these dishes?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:51 PM by Axe »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2 New Dishes?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:07 PM »
Axe I've never encountered anything like you describe but they sound fantastic and a welcome change from the usual menu fare.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:28 PM »
They have quite a few 'different' dishes which I am keen to try. They have also recently introduced fish dishes made with Bengali fish. I would have tried this last night but was told the fish dishes don't fair so well in a take-away container and are best enjoyed served straight from the kitchens.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Thinking on Chewy's comment about misspelling on menu's, can anyone translate theses two dishes, Muroog and Nabbabi?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:10 PM »
We do have a dish in Scotland called a Nawabi, with Nawab meaning a governor and I understand it may also be pronounced Nobab.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Thinking on Chewy's comment about misspelling on menu's, can anyone translate theses two dishes, Muroog and Nabbabi?
I would go for Muroog = Murgh, and Nabbabi = Nabob-i.  Are these possible, do you think ?
** Phil.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Hi Malc
Have never come across Nabbabi ???
Nawabi is common on NEast menus, but has loads of variations on content.
Muroog just translates as chicken, ie. Murug, Murgh, Murghi etc...

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 10:22 PM »
Thanks guys, I was thinking along the same lines, particularly with the Muroog. The Nabbabi given the spelling of other dishes on the menu, is probably a variation of Nawabi but that would be a guess. I did ask in the restaurnt tonight and the young Bengali waiter said it was not an authentic transaltion for anything he was aware of. So i'm taking the name with the pinch of salt they added to the dish. ;)

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:54 AM »
One of my favourite restaurants is Shanaz in Lewes (10 Miles away) but I only ever frequent it when the lads meet up for a pub crawl around the historic old town and home to Harvey's Brewery, so plenty on tap ;) .

Anyway, our fridge freezer has decided it doesn't want to be cold anymore so we have been doing the take-away scene whilst we await delivery of our new super duper wallet emptying replacement.

As I visit Lewes daily it made sense to take advantage an order out. This gave us the perfect opportunity to try something different. So Tonight among other things I ordered Muroog Pepper and Chicken Nabbabi.

The Muroog Pepper is described as being capsicum stuffed with chicken, steamed & then fried in ghee. It was fantastic, we got half a green pepper piled high with a minced chicken filling.

The Chicken Nabbabi is described chicken in a rich minced meat  sauce, very meaty. This too was fantastic, lamb mince in a thick sauce with sliced chicken tikka within it served with chunks of red and green pepper.

Both dishes were very moreish and definitely going to be enjoyed again. I did a quick google but was surprised to find few entries. Has anyone else had anything similar to these dishes?

HI Axe
Will have to give this a go, I work at the University just down the road from Lewes.
Matt

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 02:03 PM »
I think pat chapman has a nawabi recipe.  It was similar to a korma but finished off with cassia powder.  Wasn't there an old saying "as rich as a nabob" maybe comparing someone with an Indian governor?

©2024 Curry Recipes